Harman Kardon AVR 20mkII A/V Receivers

4.13/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

190W A/V Dolby ProLogic

Submitted by Complete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am currently using the Paradigm Pick.
*Monitor 7s - $600 (bi-wired)
*Mini Monitors - $330 (rears)
*CC350 Center - $330
*S1000 Sub - $600
Matched with Harmon Kardon's AVR20II Dolby Prologic - $500
This is an awesome combo that provides dynamic clarity with precise thump for under $2,500. I bought this combo back in 1998, so I'm sure it could be duplicated for much less today.

Keep in mind, if you're the type of person who likes to critique classical music, don't expect miracles from under $3000 in equipment

Now that DTS has become mainstream I've considered moving to a receiver with that capability, but the sound from AVR20II is so good I'm skeptical that I'll notice a great improvement. The main drawback of the AVR20II is that the rear speakers are under-powered, however this is easily remedied...move the speakers closer the couch.

When I first bought this product I had problems with distortion if I adjust the treble or bass and there was a clicking sound when I adjusted the volume using the remote. I took it in for warranty repairs and when I got it back all the problems were fixed and I've never had a complaint since.

Purchased At:   Canadian

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this new when I only needed HT sound for my rented room. I had this amp paired with Radio Shack Optimus 7's, an Advent 10 powered sub, and a Zenith 27" TV. Kindda low fi but it rocked the 10x10 room I was living in at the time. I have since up graded to bigger and better speakers and a house but this amp still rocks. I will be upgrading to digital sound soon but I am waiting until the 7.1 amps really start coming out. This will then go back to the bedroom for surround sound there. Until then it still rocks the media room loud enough to upset the neighbors :-)

Purchased At:   Local Audio Dealer

Submitted by Matt Prangley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I havn't seen this receiver in three years or so because it was taken when some PUNK robbed my house (oh well, I got to go stereo shopping). I figured I should review the old H/K because it was my very first receiver, and I loved it! When hooked up to a huge pair of speakers this stereo would rattle my parents entire house! The highs were lacking but that was due to the fact that I was running speakers that were designed moreso for low frequency (which there was no lack of). Pops would come home from work and start yelling, claiming my stereo was drownding out his truck's stereo when he pulled up the front lane .. this would always make me smile. I never really auditioned the ol' 20ii in surround sound, then again I don't think I missed a lot, (I have never been a fan of ProLogic). So if you didn't notice in the similar products category I have bought the new H/K 310 awhile back, and yeah I am still stupily in love with the products this company has to offer and awhile back was actually selling ther products to other consumers (very fun)! So, if you are interested in how the new 310 is working out for me, I will be doing a review of it ASAP!! If I could find another one of these at a good price I would buy it because it WAS my first stereo ever.

Purchased At:   Adventure Electronics

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, The first thing I noticed was the rear channel - couldn't get the darned thing balanced for surround, even with ProLogic. Wouldn't be a problem, except my JBL monitors (front) are soooo bloody efficient that you NEVER hear the rears. What I did was got a 2-channel amp with separate volume controls for each channel (pro gear, consumer stuff generally doesn't have this feature) so that I could properly balance each channel. If you like the receiver, which most do, it has all of the preamp outs most higher end gear has and pick up a decent amp. I'll upgrade to a high end preamp this year with all the DTS and THX goodies, but this has been a quality piece that I have run pretty hard at times. Can be had at a good price for entry level or second system use.

System: Won't brag, do you really care? Suffice it to say that the neighbors run in fear when I'm in the Metallica mode!

Purchased At:   Incredible Universe