Harman Kardon AVR 20 A/V Receivers

4.31/5 (16 Reviews)

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Submitted by Andre a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used this receiver for over three years now. My comments are all good except for the weak 20W rear channel and one DSP mode. The AM/FM radio has 30 presets which I have never been able to fill. The receiver does have pre-outs for all channels which is a plus for many although I did not run seperate amps for any channels. I consider this receiver an excellent starter kit for anyone building their first home theater. It will also fill in pretty good when hooked to a computer as a surround sound system. I ahd it hooked this way in my previous home and it was awesome. The "Microsft Sound" rocks with 35 Amps behind it. By the way the receiver is up for sale to help pay for my new PLII/DD/DTS receiver. If interested: grrams@mindspring.com

Purchased At:   Future Shop (Puyallup, WA)

Submitted by Ken a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having used mine for the past 18 months, I found the Pre-Amp line in/outs the best thing about this reciever. I run an Amp and an EQ for my fronts, another amp and an EQ for the rears, another Amp and EQ for the center, and I run my Powered Subwoofer through its own EQ. I have no speakers being directly fed by the HK unit at all.

Submitted by Gil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I must say I was wrong as regards to my last review here about the AVR 21;
the sound source for the the amp when checking it was probably not as high quality as the CD player I used to use with my HK3250 (stereo reciever). Checked the AVR-21 with another sound source and it DOES SOUND GREAT !! 5 starts.

Submitted by Gil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is about the AVR 21 and not the AVR 20.
I think the 21 is the European version of the 20 but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the only thing I have to say about the AVR 21 is that I once owned a Harman Kardon 3250 Stereo Receiver
and it sounded LOT much better than this machine when playing stereo.

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
A definite improvement over my 2001 Technics. Luckily found it at a small electoronics store for $250 Canadian. Bargained with the guy and took it home for 220 ( approx. 145 US). As soon as I replaced my Technics I could tell the difference in sound quality. So far hasn't given me any problems. Looks and sounds great. I have Technics 5 cd player and Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers. Right now I'm looking for good sounding CD player that I can get for a decent price used. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Purchased At:   small electronics store