Harman Kardon AVR 135 A/V Receivers

• Stereo Separation: 40dB at 1kHz
  • Selectivity: ±400kHz, 70dB

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought this Receiver a few years ago, and my disgust with it is fueling me to write this review. HK had a good name and this is what sucked me into this purchase, and a friend bought one also. It worked fine for a years or so and then would not output sound. Everything turns on, but no sound. I found a thread on a forum explaining this was engineered incorrectly and they will all eventually fail due to weak capacitors and resistors. I replaced the weak components after buying a soldering iron and parts from an electronic store. A week after the unit working it started shutting off for no reason. It still does this to this day. This has become my bedroom receiver and I just leave it on all the time now to avoid having to reset the pos after turning it back on. To reset, hold the tone mode button for 5 or 10 seconds when the hard power on button is turned on (orange light). That will clear the brain fog in the unit and allow more running time. Seriously thought this thing was almost $600. Stick with Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc if you want a receiver to last more than a few months.

Submitted by Chad McElravy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used this for more than 4 years now. The only reason I would have for getting a new receiver of any kind would be the need for HDMI inputs. The audio is impeccable. The output power has never been an issue because you don't really need any more power than this for home audio/ video. It provides enough power to piss off the neighbors and with great clarity of sound. You are not a DJ at a club after all! The setup may not be idiot proof but is simple enough if you read the directions. This piece forced me to become an audio setup enthusiest from a novice. I have had the receiver in an enclosed cabinet that gets very hot inside, and have not had any problems. This receiver will be passed on to my children, much like my mom's eight track player was to me. This is not a cheaply made or engineered piece of electronics! but is still affordable.

Submitted by Boazhorribilis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Had this unit for about two years but only use it VERY sporadically. The sound is good when I can turn it ON-therefore the 3 star rating- but that is the PROBLEM! Very often the damn thing just would not turn ON manually or by remote. It is very disappointing. Sometimes I unplug it and after repeated tries in turns on just to turn itself off automatically whenever it pleases. So far, no help from MediaMarkt, the chain where it was purchased and I do not expect them to move a finger. These guys just move boxes.
Hey HK, any tips? Soon it will be Good-Bye for ever.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by david ostrander a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned this unit for about 2 years. This is my first and only stereo receiver I have owned and I have been very happy with the quality and sound of this unit. It was quite complicated to set up for me being a beginner but Circuit City hooked it up nicely for me when I purchased my LCD TV.
The sound is amazing, at only about 30 watts it delivers a lot of boom to my movies. I am presently in the market for a second receiver for a family room entertainment center and plan to upgrade to a more modern HK receiver with HDMI.
The only weakness I have noticed about this receiver is the remote is a bit complicated as is the set up for a beginner. Also, being a little outdated compared to todays receivers, there is no HDMI outlets in this unit.

A very good receiver and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality receiver without paying the big bucks.

Submitted by Tracy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I decided to jump from the mid-range products (JVC, Sony, Kenwood and the like) to the relm high-end stuff. Of course my budget took my down to earth a bit but I figured I could afford a nice HK receiver and DVD player. I got them and hooked them up with much haste!! I was blown away by the sound this unit produces despite it's modest power level. It made my Celestion Monitors sing like never before. I was in love.
But all was not well. After about 9 months the processor would not switch to different modes, it couldn't find dolby signals! After quite a few calls to HK they told me to send it back. None to happy was I. After 9 months of use it was dead!? I did send it back (at my considerable expense) and got another one promptly. The new one lasted about 5 hours and it has died. After a few days I have not recieved a response from HK.
I'm shopping for a Marantz or Onkyo, see ya HK.

Purchased At:   HK