Denon AVR-900 A/V Receivers

3.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Denon AVR-900 All seasons

Submitted by Unimportant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2016

Bottom Line:
Bought this Denon S700W online from Accessories4Less as a refurbished model - Great value. Get a warranty for at least a year or two, depending on how hard you plan on playing it. I have it on about 4-6 hrs a day. It burned out a few capacitors that were replaced under warranty in the first 8 months I had it.

How does it sound? Great. I am much more appreciative of good sound now than before I got this receiver. Especially after setting up the Audyssey Room Correction and balancing the system - makes my living room come alive with sound. It doen't have a lot of headroom or high-wattage, so if your speakers are inefficient - look for a more powerful unit. I love all the HDMI and Optical connections. My Audio source is JRiver a NAS running a NAS with 17,000 songs stored in Lossless format, The NAS is connected to the Denon using my computer's Optical audio. I run Optical also from the Receiver to the TV, though sometimes I've had to switch back and forth to HDMI cables, depending on the distance and my computer's temperament. I am not as finicky for movies, since my TV is only a 32" Bravia with 720p resolution. Let's just say that the audio and video for movies is plenty for me.

The Internet audio and DLNA capabilities are great, especially Pandora. I also run the denon app on my IPAD which lets me control source and volume from another room if necessary. I prefer the JRiver app for Music, since it gives me more control over the music stream.

My favorite receiver settings for music are Multi-Channel Stereo and Dolby for movies. I run 4 mains and a center in my system with 2 powered subs at the corners. All in all, I feel this was a great buy for a small-to medium size living room.

Submitted by John Courneil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2016

Bottom Line:
Paid fifty bucks for this Denon which sounds smooth and reasonably detailed on music CDs played back in simple stereo. Better sound, imho, than the DRA-335 I lived with for a few months some time ago. From top to bottom, pretty much clean and has a plenty of power when paired with appropriate (not too power-hungry) speakers. This unit can play really loud, with an obviously solid bass, keeping a good stereo image, a pleasant midrange and detailed highs. Not the top-of-the-line Denon, of course, but still a pretty much satisfying component in itself. Whence adjusted correctly, the tone controls can (and, effectively do) provide very good balance on a variety of music. I do not use it for movies, etc. The remote is user-friendly and has a good feel in the hand. I use this unit for music only. System consists of : Cambridge Azur cd player, Ohm loudspeakers, Tara Labs RSC interconnects and Monster speaker wires, all plugged in power line conditioners (Monster Power, Straight Wire). Amp and cd are installed on a vintage Sound Organisation 2-tier table. The sound is fine. Rather well defined with high mids and treble not grainy, a surprising fact for such a budget amp. But, hey, it is a Denon, after all. Way better sounding, overall, than a previous Technics SAEX-140. By a small margin it beats, equally, an old Pioneer A-616 intregrated amp (rated at 80wpc). I recommend the 'modest' 60w Denon AVR-900 to anyone who likes movies and/or loves good music and has some easy to drive stereo or multi loudspeakers.

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
i paid $50 at goodwill, it power most of my towers and floor standing monsters. i give it a good review.

Submitted by gen_y_kid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I don't remember how much my old man bought it a long, long time ago, but I found it again in the attic. Once the living room centerpiece, we also used it in family occasions and school projects. I killed it somehow because I used the speaker wires that came with it, which I noticed too late had already terribly corroded due to storage. Apparently "PROTECT" did not kick in in time. Got it fixed by an authorized Denon Service center here in Manila for price shown above. Some blown caps and transistors. Maybe it was just stuck there too long. Now sounds just as good as when I watched one of my first Disney movie on Laserdisc when I was much younger. I needed something loud to play music with, and I'm glad I found it again. Being strictly analog, I'm surprised it holds up with dad's Yamaha RX-V540, but of course only in Stereo and some Pro Logic sources. good thing we didn't throw it away.

Purchased At:   my dad's attic, Quez

Submitted by denonavrexpert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
well iv had this stereo reciver for 2 months now bought jbls this stereo is sooooooooooooooo POWERFULL if you think it has no power you must want to blow out your ears and demolish your house this will literaly raise the roof... sounds very good i recommend this reciver to everyone u will be 100 satisfied especially for the price who needs hdmi for a reciver its a stereo not a television use the normal red and white inputs perfectly fine.