Denon AVR-900 A/V Receivers

3.77/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Denon AVR-900 All seasons

Submitted by John Courneil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2016

Bottom Line:
Paid fifty bucks for this Denon which sounds smooth and reasonably detailed on music CDs played back in simple stereo. Better sound, imho, than the DRA-335 I lived with for a few months some time ago. From top to bottom, pretty much clean and has a plenty of power when paired with appropriate (not too power-hungry) speakers. This unit can play really loud, with an obviously solid bass, keeping a good stereo image, a pleasant midrange and detailed highs. Not the top-of-the-line Denon, of course, but still a pretty much satisfying component in itself. Whence adjusted correctly, the tone controls can (and, effectively do) provide very good balance on a variety of music. I do not use it for movies, etc. The remote is user-friendly and has a good feel in the hand. I use this unit for music only. System consists of : Cambridge Azur cd player, Ohm loudspeakers, Tara Labs RSC interconnects and Monster speaker wires, all plugged in power line conditioners (Monster Power, Straight Wire). Amp and cd are installed on a vintage Sound Organisation 2-tier table. The sound is fine. Rather well defined with high mids and treble not grainy, a surprising fact for such a budget amp. But, hey, it is a Denon, after all. Way better sounding, overall, than a previous Technics SAEX-140. By a small margin it beats, equally, an old Pioneer A-616 intregrated amp (rated at 80wpc). I recommend the 'modest' 60w Denon AVR-900 to anyone who likes movies and/or loves good music and has some easy to drive stereo or multi loudspeakers.

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
i paid $50 at goodwill, it power most of my towers and floor standing monsters. i give it a good review.

Submitted by gen_y_kid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I don't remember how much my old man bought it a long, long time ago, but I found it again in the attic. Once the living room centerpiece, we also used it in family occasions and school projects. I killed it somehow because I used the speaker wires that came with it, which I noticed too late had already terribly corroded due to storage. Apparently "PROTECT" did not kick in in time. Got it fixed by an authorized Denon Service center here in Manila for price shown above. Some blown caps and transistors. Maybe it was just stuck there too long. Now sounds just as good as when I watched one of my first Disney movie on Laserdisc when I was much younger. I needed something loud to play music with, and I'm glad I found it again. Being strictly analog, I'm surprised it holds up with dad's Yamaha RX-V540, but of course only in Stereo and some Pro Logic sources. good thing we didn't throw it away.

Purchased At:   my dad's attic, Quez

Submitted by denonavrexpert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
well iv had this stereo reciver for 2 months now bought jbls this stereo is sooooooooooooooo POWERFULL if you think it has no power you must want to blow out your ears and demolish your house this will literaly raise the roof... sounds very good i recommend this reciver to everyone u will be 100 satisfied especially for the price who needs hdmi for a reciver its a stereo not a television use the normal red and white inputs perfectly fine.

Submitted by Cosmic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This receiver worked fine... until I purchased a set of surround speakers. Then I found out the surround processor was blown. Paid $80 to get it fixed. Worked for about 9 months, then same problem. I spoke to a repair tech at Denon and apparently they had a lot of problems with the DDSC-A processor in this receiver so I would stay away from it, especially if you buy used.

Purchased At:   Sounds Deluxe Westmo