Denon AVR-65 A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Home Theater Receiver • 70 watts per channel • Optical and coaxial digital inputs • Dolby Digital A/V Receiver • Composite video switching, 3 inputs, 2 outputs

Submitted by Phil Mays a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my last review. Denon did exactly what they said they would do. I sent this unit in for repair 15 months after purchase and they delivered almost to the day that they said they would. This is outstanding considering it was over the hiloday season. I now have this unit in bedroom powering a home theatre with the previously mention polk and bose speakers. This unit is way great for this application, almost overkill.

I am completely pleased with this unit and as I will indicate below that it is a "giant killer".

I am so pleased with this unit that I am considering replacing my Onkyo TSDX 797 in the living room with the new Denon 5803 or a more reasonable 5800 with a upgrade.

Submitted by Phil Mays a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
For my living room area it was not quite powerful enough especially when I upgraded the speakers from the provided Denons to Polk Audio 800i's and Bose 301's. The system blew within one night of an "OZZYFEST" in my house.

The problem was I asked it to do more than it was designed for which is not the fault of the receiver.

I have since upgraded to an Onkyo 797 with Klipish speakers and cannot wait to get this unit back to setup in bedroom for surround sound on that TV.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Jimmy Jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This reciever, although not extrememly powerful, does produce a nice crisp sound. At the moment, I'm using it with my Playstation 2, for Dolby Digital output, and it's far better than anything else I could have bought with that $60 (no, that's not a typo). The subwoofer has really good bass response, and isn't OVERLY large (though, it is somewhat bigger than what I'd like).
Everyone else complains about the remote being small, but I happen to like it...it's a nice, and very useful remote.
Anyway, if you can find this reciever for a good price, get it.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Steven Daniels a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just like the last poster, I picked this unit up from Ecost.com for $170 + shipping (about $20). I had been considering Onkyo and Dennon units when I happened across this deal. The cost to feature ratio just made it too good to pass up. As listed under the weaknesses, the system could use a few more video inputs and possibly another digital audio in (and S-video switching). The remote really isn't that bad (to me), and I've quite gotten used to it.
The unit is currently connected to a Harmon Kardon TS1 home theater speaker system and sounds great! I definitely love the 5 channel stereo mode for TV and music.
With the few exceptions listed, this is a quality reciever at an exceptional price. Good luck finding a better value out there!

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by Josh Brockman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the price this receiver is being offered, this is a total no-brainer deal. It is a full-featured Dolby Digital (not just digital-ready) receiver for under $200, not to mention the fact that it sounds great. I got mine refurbished (I believe it may be discontinued now), but at the price that is not a problem. I would have had to spend $300+ just to match the features in this receiver, to match the sound you would really have to go with the new Denon AVR-1801, for $500. I have been listening to a pair of paradigm atoms with this receiver since I got it and they sound great, The only negative to it is the remote with its tiny buttons that tend to stick when changing the source or the volume, and the lack of tuner scan on the remote. But my CDs sound great through the digital input (though I would like to have more digital ins), Basically, For the price it can be found at right now, you can't go wrong - try finding any DD receiver for this price. I can't give it five stars - the remote sucks, and I know the atoms don't sound as good powered by it as the $2000 mcintosh amp they were hooked to at the hifi store, but I don't really expect them to. But the value is 5 stars easy. Maybe there's a good universal remote out there that could make this one perfect.

Purchased At:   ecost.com