Denon AVR-5600 DTS A/V Receivers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

HT Receiver with DPL,DD, DTS; 140 watts X 5

Submitted by Kevin McCue a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver has incredible amount of clean power. It has the ability to play music with stunning clarity and make sudden loud sound effects without any hint of strain. This certainly was not true for that old Pioneer Elite receiver I used before this one. I am quite pleased with the tuner as well. It can display RDS information broadcasted from radio stations.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
Had a few troubles with mine. Had trouble recognizing optical digital signals from CD player, and in first 3 weeks already had the microprocessor freeze, so that I had to reset the system.

Submitted by Dino a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love this receiver. It has everything I want. It has plenty of power to drive my rather inefficient speakers. (Mirage 895i) It is almost the perfect receiver. I will only list my dislikes since the likes would take forever. 1) It takes too long to adjust the volume quickly. I listen to the TV rather loud. When someone calls I want to lower the volume (not mute) it takes a while to lower the volume. My previous receiver could go quickly while holding down the volume button.
2) Could use more digital inputs.
3) It clicks when switching from surround modes. My biggest pet peave is when watching a dolby digital laserdisc. I can't set it to permanent ac-3 since only a few of my lasers are ac-3. So when I pause/ff/rew a laser it reverts back to pro-logic with a loud click. With DVD's I am fine since all DVD's are AC-3 and that input is set to AC-3.
4) It would be nice to show that a DTS input is being decoded as DTS instead of Pro-Logic. It is obviously decoding it but I would like to see it.

That's it. Rather picky I know but that just shows how perfect this receiver is. Since 4 stars is too low and there is no choice for 4.5 stars it gets a 5.

Dino

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Ken P. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
After auditioning the 5600DTS I went home, boxed up my Yamaha RX-V2095 and promptly traded it in(along with a bit more$). I would recommend the unit to anybody that has a desire to have true audiophile performance at a (somewhat) modest price. One drawback, the only one I've found so far, is that it does not have 6ch. discreet input. Could be trouble in the future. The new 5700 has actually incorporated 7.1 for that "just in case" senario.
All in all, I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a better overall reciever in its class. Absolutely a 'Must Audition'!

Submitted by Todd a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
The big positive about (DENONs) is that they are made by highly skilled technical assemblers in "JAPAN", and go through the most rigorous testing on the market for imported units. The drawback of (YAMAHAs),(SONYs), is that they are made and assembled in Malaysia, where I've come to understand the availablility of technically skilled employees is lacking. (DENON) is one of the few companies where (MADE IN JAPAN) actually means something.

MS 1400W: