Denon AVR-4802 A/V Receivers

Submitted by Mike Little a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've used the 4802 as a receiver and more recently as a premp-processor. The sound is clean and easy. There are plenty of connections (more than most mere mortals will ever need). The tuner section is good though not up there with with my separate Yamaha or NAD 7400 receiver. The 4802 amp section is very good also. I used it with NHT VS-2 speakers as well as Definitive Power Monitors. I found the sound to be quite pleasing. In 6.1 surround modes I could really hear the benefits of the formats. I also used it with Magnepan QR12s. Here some of the weeknesses were exposed. Nevertheless, the unit never shut down on me with these low impedence speakers. It worked adequately at sane sound levels.

I added a Conrad Johnson MF 5600 power in a 5.1 set up with the Maggies. Here the AVR-4802 has really come into its own as a preamp. The sound is top notch and equal to some separates I have used. It is much more flexible than most near the same price range.

I did find that the ATKIS remote leaves a lot to be desires. It is hard to see to program. Some codes are difficult to learn. It lacks a robust pc support interface. And it is clunky to use. For the most part I use an older Marantz RC-2000 Mk. I instead.

Purchased At:   Berclair TV