Denon AVR-4306 A/V Receivers

• RJ-45 Ethernet Port
  • PC Setup and Control Capability

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
These amplifiers currently cost about to £200 on ebay. For this price it is a hell of a piece of kit! I bought one about 2 years ago for use in a newly converted room used for watching occasional movies but mainly listening to music. I have a 5.1 set up. Two front Jbl studio 580 speakers, a Wharfdale 101c centre and Gale Monitor Golds mk2s at the back. The sub is a Tannoy SFX. Quite a weird set up I agree! The denon amp powers them really well. This amp can fire 130w of power into each channel. If, like me, you don't intend to use the 7.1 capability, you can use the spare channels to bi-amp you front speakers. The clarity of sound using a digital coax in sounds incredible. It also supports 24bit 96hz signals, I tried out some HD audio tracks and this amp really does them justice. The internal DAC is really impressive, 2 other dacs I tried made no improvement to the sound (Anne T1 and CA Dac magic). Also you can hook this up to your network via ethernet and modify all the amp settings from a web browser, this makes it really easy to configure if you know what you're doing. It has preamp outs too should you need them. 3 HDMI ports is a bit tight by todays standards but ok for my needs.
You can also get an Android app to remote control the unit if it's networked.

Overall, if you're on a budget, and you don't need the latest Dolby HD movie audio formats (it supports DD and DTS) or Airplay and other features that new amps offer, you will be hard pressed to get this kind of audio power or quality for £200. Check out other audio reviews on the web. I went out and bought another for my living room!

The only thing I would replace it with would be a Yamaha Z9, but they ain't ever gonna be 200 quid lol!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Benjamin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
Thanks ya all for the various reviews.I have been a music lover since my teens.Base on this idea i v personally befriended many vintage audio shop owners just to have a feel of good music!Well, since i'm from Ghana and limited to audiophile brands,i have over the years heard most of the Japanese 'cheap' stack hifi i'v always wondered how music would sound on a gud gear.one day while having a gud ride in town ma cousin who is in the audio hobby said he's found this bad boy AVR 4306 for 103 bucks i quickly reviewed it on my phone and head straight to the seller's because it's very rare gettin' such gear in a vintage shop in Ghana.!i bought it right away without lookin' back cause the guy could change his mind any time soon.LOL.In fact he has no idea of the set.I took the gamble with a wide smile & lifted this bad boy home.well,the set up was not too difficult cause i own Yamaha DSP A3090.Once i hooked this bad boy to Polk SDA 1C,i knew the sound quality BLEW the Yammy away!sound quality is cystal clear and this bad boy doesnt break a sweat driven these huge Polkies.IMHO,this receiver has body,hug sound stage,and more power to spare.I will keep it for a long time until i lay ma hand on my research personal favourite,krell kav 500i which ll be impossible to get in Ghana.God willing i ll hunt for it when i someday turn up in the USA but until then,im very very happy with ma AVR! Dont look back if u find one in a mind condtion because it can put a big smile on ur face & shake the foundation of ur annoying neighbor

Submitted by Eric Williamson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
Unit arrived in perfect condition. Set-up process was easier than most; I was ready to go in about twenty minutes. This was my first time using the autosetup feature, but it got every thing right. Sound quality is excellent, with prodigious bass and lots of detail. Power is abundant, the receiver sounds like its just loafing along, easily driving my large Mirage speakers. It is because of the sound qualityand excellent 5.1 steering, that I'm giving this receiver five stars, because the remote is lousy. I haven't used the hdmi inputs; I prefer to keep that signal pure, and I bought the receiver for its sound quality. A definite upgrade over my 3802, and this unit can be found at good prices on the web.

Submitted by jrasp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Having the unit set up for only a couple weeks and I am still waiting for the HDMI "big" problem... The unit waited for 4 weeks in a box, unopened while I patiently waited for sub-contractors to finish the room. I really began to worry as I came across reviews here and Crutchfield that were tepid. Was this the unit I auditioned so carefully that was well above competitors at this price point? I was worried. Until I set it up.

I'm sorry, but this was one of the easier pieces of electronics I've set up in the last 12 mos. Is the online display chunky? Yeah, but I don't expect it will be used often, except in tweaking the unit. It was easy to navigate and effective.

The Auto Audio Setup is nice. I don't know if I agree with its prognosis, but then, maybe I've been conditioned to my less than flat sounding Klipsch...

The Video mapping is a piece of cake. Sweet. So nice to only have one cable going to the monitor...

Oh, geez, I almost forgot the sound. The reason I bought this. Very nice. Very controllable. Have I heard better? Yes, but not at this price point. I know there are better, but there is a slippery slope to this audio game---and I think I am standing on the edge. I think higher than $2k, and you have to think separates. It just starts making sense... Lower than $2k, buy integrated. Just my opinion.

So this is a very nice unit that will keep me quite satisfied for some time. Handles movies well, handles music well. Has some features I can grow into if I choose.

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Magnolia (Best Buy)

Submitted by franin30 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
Unfortunatley the 4306 has HDMI problems thats why I purchased the Avc -A11XV the model under the flagship and that does not have any HDMI issues. Take a look at the A11 and you will see why it's a better built machine than the 4306. the 4306 looks like all the basic amps around especially the back (looks like the crappy Yamaha with those red speaker inputs definetley a china idea (Cheap)

Purchased At:   WestCoast Hifi