Denon AVR-3806 A/V Receivers

• 3 Source/3 Zone
  • Touchscreen Remote

Submitted by Ken Weslosky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
The sound is AMAZING! The manual is not very helpful. My advice is to use it as a guide and just play with it to learn it yourself. I like the 3 "user" buttons and have assigned them for movies, stereo music and 5,1.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Jacob Ruberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
only good for surround sound not audio

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by mjaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Denon really dropped the ball with the 3806. The 3805 was an outstanding reciever and I was hoping the 3806 would follow suit with the added HDMI support but that proved to be wrong.

Not only does the HDMI fail to function properly as it does in many other receivers but the remote and user interface pail in comparison to the 3805.

I used to sell Denon 3805's all of the time as I new it was an outstanding bargain but after my experience with the 3806 I know recommend the 2807. I have been honest with the customers with the problems related to the 3806 and am hoping Denon makes it right in there next 3800 series receiver.

As someone who has been an advocate for Denon receivers I was greatly disappointed with what Denon put out with the 3806. I would recommend that potential buyers get the 2807 or wait until Denon fixes the bugs in the next 3800 series receiver.

Even though I personally use high end pre-pro's for my personal system like Anthem, Proceed, Halcro, Lexicon and the like I used a Denon 3805 for about 5 months and was delighted. The 3806 lasted about 2 weeks and I was happy to sell it at cost.

I have never sold another 3806 since my main concern is that my customers are happy. After the experience I had with it I could not sell one and feel my customer would be happy.

I am confident that Denon will address all of the problems in the next 3800 series and only than will I continue to sell it.

I have given a Value rating of only 2 stars as I feel the 2807 is a MUCH better value at this time. The 3 overall rating is for the fact that it does sound as good as the 3805 (which was a 5 star receiver in it's price class) but I knocked it down in it's usability and HDMI problems.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by G_Money a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
When my Sony STRDE-995 lost a battle with a lightning bolt, I decided it was time for a serious receiver up-grade. After extensive research on the internet, I decided to purchase a Denon AVR-3806 because of the many positive reviews I read. After 3 months of use, let me just say that I am not disappointed. The sound of this receiver is jaw dropping. When I first hooked it up, I decided to air it out with Metallica's "Metallica" CD. I cranked up the first track, Enter Sandman, to ear splitting level and still had power to spare. This receiver definitely packs a punch. The music was extremely LOUD, but it remained crystal clear. Movies achieved the same result. The LOTR DTS 6.1 soundtrack is absolutely stunning. The AVR- 3806 seems to give it more definition than I could achieve with the Sony, which sounded great by the way.

Set up wasn't very difficult at all. I tried the Auto Set-Up feature, but afterward I decided on a manual set up for my speaker levels. The Auto Set-Up did do a good job of determining the distance of my speakers from my listening chair. This receiver has more hook-ups than you will ever need. It also has HDMI up-conversion which will come in handy when I decide to upgrade my television. If you like bells and whistles, then you will love the AVR-3806.

This receiver is packed with features. The bells and whistles have bells and whistles. If you like effects, there are 10 different proprietary surround modes including four different room reverbs. Each reverb effect offers five different room sizes giving you a total of twenty different effects. I especially like the Mono Movie effect. It is great for watching movies that are broadcast in mono. It broadens the sound field much better than Dolby D or DTS NEO:6, both of which are designed to work with a stereo signal. The "Pure Direct" listening mode is great for CDs unless you have a powered subwoofer and then I would suggest the Virtual Surround mode. Virtual surround sends a signal to the mains and also send a line level signal to the subwoofer. Lets talk EQualizers!

The AVR-3086 features a nine band graphic EQ that I haven't felt the need to use very much because it sound so good without it, but I'll tell you about it anyway. You can adjust the EQ for ALL SPKRS, L/R SPKRS or each speaker can be adjusted separately! In addition to the nine band graphic EQ, each surround mode also contains Bass and Treble Tone Controls! This receiver also has a built-in crossover that allows you to set your crossover points for each set of speakers. Believe it or not, I have just scratched the surface in discussing the features of this receiver.

Because of the numerous features packed into the AVR-3806, It may be intimidating at first. However, don't despair, just take a deep breath and figure it out. Once you get used to the operation of this receiver, you won't have any problems.

Purchased At:   HP Direct Audio Vide

Submitted by PrestigeHTS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I used to own the Denon AVR-3802 receiver which is a few years old but, still one of Denon's most popular archives. I purchased the Denon AVR-3806 in Feb. of this year. The reason I wanted that receiver opposed to my 3802 is because I bought a 1080i 42" HD flat screen DLP with DVI hook-up and I needed a receiver with HDMI hook-ups. I also wanted more optical/coaxial ins/outs. I didn't want just anybody to have my old receiver so. I sold it to my sister since I know she'll take care of it and not drive the hell out of it. Anyway I bought this Denon AVR-3806, hooked up all of my Definitive Technology speakers(towers 7002's front and 7006's rears)awesome speakers and they have built in powered subs besides my 4 Supercube II's. When I turned this thing on I was in awe...! I did not think there was anyway that I bought a mid to high-end receiver that cheap(even though I get a deal on everything I by at ABT)sound like a $4000-$8000 receiver. It might have to do with the Al24 Processor Plus that's in the 3806. Which after all of my research of the receiver and processor I did I found out the receiver is one of the top 3 receivers since it came out till present. It's rated #1 as a receiver because of it's processor which is one of the best in the business. Because I run all of my speakers through more powerful amps, my 2 Adcom GFA-555's and 2 Denon POA-2400A(200w@8x2) I was going to by just a processor. Recently I listened to the Krell Showcase and Audio Control Maestro2 and wasn't impressed to the detail they had that compared to my Denon AVR-3806. I thought they were very similar so, there was no need to replace. Now I use my 3806 as a processor because that AL24 is awsome and brings out all of the detail in my Adcom's and Denon's. I just bought the new Denon DVD-2930i single disc all format player and it also came out with the AL24 Processor Plus like the receiver so there is no loss or reprocessing by the 3806. My Denon AVR-3806 has a great processor with tons of detail and definition with perfect highs, mids, and midbass. It also has a great LFE crossover. The secret is the Denon's 3806's AL24 processor, a couple of 150- 200w per channel amps because the 3806 comes with 120w per channel which is sufficient but, the more power the better the processor sounds, also Definitive Technology speakers and subs. The Def Tech's are a great match with the Denon. When or if you buy a Denon DO NOT forget to get an excellent line conditioner like Panamax and high silver conduction interconnects(Audioquest).You'll be surprised at the sound. Even if you use the built in amps it still sounds awesome. I personally like a lot of power because my Def Tech tower speakers and huge center channel need a lot of power to sound there best.

Purchased At:   ABT Electronics