Denon AVR-3805 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (52 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

• 120 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
  • Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo:6, and Widescreen 7.1 processing
  • Denon Link input for digital transfer of stereo or multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD signals from compatible components
  • Sixteen 192kHz/24-bit DACs
  • ALPHA 24 Processing Plus
  • Pure Direct mode
  • HDCD® decoding
  • Learning/multibrand touchscreen electro-luminescent remote with macros

Submitted by John doe a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome receiver you could fully adjust to full range dynamic power front left n right the whole 7ch I using skinny tower Sony with equake sub 12in it will blew you away compare mine with NHT top of the line my step dad has $5,000 on 7.1 and his denon avr 4802 $1999 he bought during his year $7000 he was amaze how it sound...I only spent $250 buying them used no shame compare to those peoples who spent tons money on surround sound I also add infinity tweeter 1inch to front tower speaker so it sound much better when there is a breaking glass sound or gun shot it sound so clearer like it bring to life my wife got heart pound n freak out when gun shot lmaO I have own tons high end speaker too big heavy take so much space too much money

Submitted by blazeaglory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
I am not going to go into all of the overwhelming specifics of the receiver because it is way too much to list. You can check www.Crutchfield.com for all of the specifics (as well as other reviews from this site). Im going to give a 'somewhat' short and sweet review of a GREAT and POWERFUL amp/receiver.

I am 36y/o. I have been an "audio enthusiast" since I was a child and my mother plopped me down in front of the TV when MTV debuted...Ever since then I was hooked.

Fast forward roughly 10 years to middle school/early high school (1990-92). I was then a speaker freak. We would all search the goodwills for vintage amps and old cheap speaker cabinets. The amps we would find were usually older, high end solid state Pioneers, Marantz, Kenwoods, etc...Anyways, they were POWERFUL as heck. The speakers we would throw out and only use the cabinets with newer speakers. SO, at an early age I was listening to vintage high end receivers that put out awesome sound. I thought newer amps would sound MUCH better, so fast forward to senior year in high school...

I decided to buy a somewhat used Yamaha amp/receiver. It was a nice amp but it wasnt as strong as the vintage ones. I sold it and bought a SONY, same thing, nice amp but was just missing that "oomph"...I asked a high end sales associate at a random high end audio boutique what was the deal with new receivers and not sounding as good as the vintage ones. I cant remember his answer but he showed me some DENON's with price tags in excess of $2000 (in 1997). I was blown away! I couldnt believe the power and sound! It was as if the system disappeared and I was at a concert. I said to myself at that moment that I will own a high (mid?) end piece of equipment such as that one day.

Now, I do not claim to be an expert but I do know what sounds good. Anyways, after high school I got busy and sold all of my equipment. I never got around to buying anything "high end". Work, relationships, mortgage all kept me busy. But I never forgot the sound of that DENON...

NOW, fast forward to MAY 2015... I came upon a yard sale one early morning in Southern CA and noticed a fellow putting out some audio gear. A Velodyne CHT12, Infinity Interludes (IL40's, IL10's and IL25c) as well as a DENON 3805...I asked how much, he said $100 for everything including wood stands for the bookshelves. I couldnt believe it. My knees got weak and I went dumb. I said "SOLD" while trying to control the excitement in my voice. It was almost as if I was dreaming...lol The 'almost' entire Infinity Interlude series (non powered), a 500w 12" Velodyne and a $1000 DENON for $100 (well less than $100 because all I had was $90 and he accepted)

After lugging it all home and hooking everything up, I was a little disappointed by the sound. Everything sounded dull and way too high pitched. It sounded as if something was wrong. Well, after reading the DENON manual, I realized I was messing with an unfamiliar beast. This is no "plug and play" receiver. The manual is a MUST and the remote helps immensely...So, after buying a nice bookshelf unit on wheels and setting the IL40 towers in the proper place/distance from the walls, placing the Velodyne in its correct position and changing the delay, crossover, speaker size and EQ settings, EVERYTHING CHANGED! It now sounds AMAZING! I cannot believe the sound and power this DENON puts out!

I am normally a "2 channel" kind of guy but after I began listening to music in 5.1 channel with the Infinity bookshelves, center and towers, along with the Velodyne, I will not go back to 2 channel for a while (unless I can find a nice vintage amp and some awesome speakers of course)..My music, no matter what I throw at this DENON, keeps on chuggin along! My neighbors come out of their houses and look around confused as if the sky is falling.

All the audiophile verbiage aside, this amp can power the best of speakers. At 120w to 8ohms it is probably the best amp in its price range at this time. I dont know what that person is complaining about (cheap internals, etc) because this thing sounds amazing. Who cares about the "on screen" setup, I never use it anyways and if I did, I wouldnt care if it was "colorful". Cheap internals? What a way to nickle and dime something. You can look right through the top and see what kind of HUGE heat sinks and capacitors this thing has. AND it doesnt get that hot! Funny that the only 1-2 star review is complaining about supposed cheap internals but yet comparing this reciever to something that cost 3-4 times as much!

Given the fact that after 10 years people are still praising this DENON, that should be a sign of its quality. I can power 5 speakers with ZERO issues. From rock and roll to hip hop, to super bassy trance/house, this receiver never skips a beat...I actually bought another one that was "As-is" for $50 on ebay just in case I need any parts when and IF mine ever craps out, which I doubt it will...KNOCK ON WOOD.

I definitely recommend this DENON and if you can find one (they are all over ebay) buy one, just make sure it has the remote.

Submitted by GeorgeB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have a Yamaha RX-V1 also ($100) on CL. Can't get the thing to sound good for music at all but it is great for Surround Movies. The Denon blows it away for ease of use and multichannel stereo listening. I have 2 of the Denon 3805's, the Yamaha, and a Denon 3801 all hooked up through a distribution amplifier and a lot of nice speakers. I use the Yamaha and Denon 3801 for movie surround (which we rarely use for TV anymore) and the 2 Denon 3805's for stereo multichannel. Anyway I am very impressed with the Denon's, they are powerful, clean and easy to configure. I have other yamaha recievers in kitchen and bedroom and garage plus a home recording studio with Pioneer vsx-9300's. These old receivers were well made and powerful. The Denon 3805 is my favorite out of them all.My wife thinks I'm crazy but I like music and most of my speakers are older acoustic suspension models (ADS M-12 towers, 2 pairs Advent Heritage, 4 pairs Advent ?, old RSL's with 12"woofer, 5' mid, tweeter that the Advent Heritage are stacked on, plus Prodigy's, B&A, an Infinity 12" powered sub, a M&S 12" sub, and another ? sub, etc).
Anyway, sounds good to me. Can't beat buying old receivers for less than a hundred bucks in most cases.

Submitted by John Sadler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
Brilliant amp/receiver. All the features you could want, with excellent sound quality. The RC 970 remote is pure junk. Cannot be read during the day, chews batteries, and remote lasted just over a year and packed up. No support or back up from local agent, who wanted to charge me R 1200 for a replacement.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Pete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
The 3805 is terrific. I purchased a brand new unit in a retail store, which was on a close out sale for $634 I could not be happier with its quality and performance over the past 18 months. Paired with Monitor Audio's Bronze speaker package, the 3805 has been a pleasure with both music & movies. I highly recommend the Denon brand. I'ver been a fan since I purchased a 2801 when it first came out and it's still going strong.

Purchased At:   Local Home Theater S