Denon AVR-3803 A/V Receivers

4.42/5 (84 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver

Submitted by Ken a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
With 110 wpc, I expected a LOT more grunt, in the lower frequencies. This receiver sounds like it has 20 watts. Almost no bass at all. At a MSRP of 1199., anyone that purchased this has been ripped totally off. I have real 20 and 30 watt amps that completely blow this receiver off the planet. This product is a slap in the face to anyone that loves stereo gear. I paid 20.00 bucks for it and I am so glad I can get that back. Will do so at earliest opportunity. What a shame and an embarrassment to Denon. One positive I will say is it is fairly clean. I ran them with a pair of Polk Audio 10b's, Admittedly, not the most bass prolific speakers, but good enough to get the job done.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by moe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
piece of s*** plain and simple. save your money and buy something better, i bought this from a friend for 20 bucks and that was still over priced

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Love this unit!! Used with two DT BP2006TL's and a DT 12" sub -- it's clear, strong and soothes any ear for any type of music... especially if you have hard wood or tile floors:)

Submitted by Shahzad Beramji a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
Purchased this receiver and had to realy work out to get it home. The receiver is VERY heavy.However once you start it up and set it up you realise that this receiver is all fizz, it has no real power. I hooked it up to a pair of KEF Coda floor standers and this receiver sounds like thrash. Its as if there is virtually no drive in the lower region (bass). Mid range is pretty open and smooth while the top end gets brittle when you push it. However no mater what (played with the filters) you won't get any bass other than little bass lines. VERY DISAPPOINTED that a 3000 series Denon won't open up a floorstander. I had a Marantz integrated amp sitting around and the Marantz's power supply is actually bigger than the Denon, though the Denon is supposed to drive 7 channels! In HT mode once again, if pushed you will get a brittle sound and the bass won't hit you in the gut and scare you under your bed. Rather it is there but lacks any feel. Compared to this my older Yamaha V800 sounded like it had taken you to war when watching a movies though it couldn't sing to save its life (which is why I got the Denon, but this sucks too). Even the Harman Kardon AVR2000 which is an entry level amp had a better presentation in movies. Over all very disappointing amp from Denon. Would get my money back if I could.

It will sound refined provided you play it at low volumes. The soundstage is pretty good, but where is the bass?

Submitted by gasman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Denon 3805 after some extensive research of what power plant best suited my needs and the 3805 was the one. I finished my basment last fall and had the plan to install in-wall speakers for my surround system.
I can't say enough about the incredibly clean sound that this unit puts out!
The speakers that I am running are the in wall Paradigm model 300's for the front and 200's for the rear. The 3805 brings these speakers to life, litterly.
I like to watch movies with volume cranked up and this machine puts out a ton of quality power and then some!
My buddy purchased a similary priced amp,
it is a high end Yamaha and it does not even hold a candle to the performance capability of the Denon.
He has even admitted that the Denon sounds cleaner and warmer than the one he purchased.
I would highly recommend this machine to anyone that is looking for a high performance power plant that is very rugged and can push some serious juice.
She's a beefy 40lb unit.