Denon AVR-3803 A/V Receivers

4.46/5 (83 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver

Submitted by moe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
piece of s*** plain and simple. save your money and buy something better, i bought this from a friend for 20 bucks and that was still over priced

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Love this unit!! Used with two DT BP2006TL's and a DT 12" sub -- it's clear, strong and soothes any ear for any type of music... especially if you have hard wood or tile floors:)

Submitted by Shahzad Beramji a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
Purchased this receiver and had to realy work out to get it home. The receiver is VERY heavy.However once you start it up and set it up you realise that this receiver is all fizz, it has no real power. I hooked it up to a pair of KEF Coda floor standers and this receiver sounds like thrash. Its as if there is virtually no drive in the lower region (bass). Mid range is pretty open and smooth while the top end gets brittle when you push it. However no mater what (played with the filters) you won't get any bass other than little bass lines. VERY DISAPPOINTED that a 3000 series Denon won't open up a floorstander. I had a Marantz integrated amp sitting around and the Marantz's power supply is actually bigger than the Denon, though the Denon is supposed to drive 7 channels! In HT mode once again, if pushed you will get a brittle sound and the bass won't hit you in the gut and scare you under your bed. Rather it is there but lacks any feel. Compared to this my older Yamaha V800 sounded like it had taken you to war when watching a movies though it couldn't sing to save its life (which is why I got the Denon, but this sucks too). Even the Harman Kardon AVR2000 which is an entry level amp had a better presentation in movies. Over all very disappointing amp from Denon. Would get my money back if I could.

It will sound refined provided you play it at low volumes. The soundstage is pretty good, but where is the bass?

Submitted by gasman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Denon 3805 after some extensive research of what power plant best suited my needs and the 3805 was the one. I finished my basment last fall and had the plan to install in-wall speakers for my surround system.
I can't say enough about the incredibly clean sound that this unit puts out!
The speakers that I am running are the in wall Paradigm model 300's for the front and 200's for the rear. The 3805 brings these speakers to life, litterly.
I like to watch movies with volume cranked up and this machine puts out a ton of quality power and then some!
My buddy purchased a similary priced amp,
it is a high end Yamaha and it does not even hold a candle to the performance capability of the Denon.
He has even admitted that the Denon sounds cleaner and warmer than the one he purchased.
I would highly recommend this machine to anyone that is looking for a high performance power plant that is very rugged and can push some serious juice.
She's a beefy 40lb unit.

Submitted by 20to20K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for about 2 months (upgraded from the 2803 when I decided to add surround speakers)and up to last week had the same exuberent impressions of most everyone else on this site while just listening to my Polk LSi15's. Then I hooked up the rest of my surround speakers and the disappointment set in.

The LSi15's are 4 ohms as well as my LSiC center speaker. However I opted for the lesser expensive FXi-3 for my surrounds which are 8 ohms. The 3803 can't handle it. After 20-30 minutes of 5 channel playback (either music or movies) the reciever shuts off into protection mode. I feel the unit, its not particularly hot so I'm thinking the current surge associated with the 4 ohmers are too much for it too handle.

I've hear that the Polk LSi series are somewhat demanding speakers but the sound level wasn't particularly loud and shutting down after just 20 minutes seems pretty lame to me.

The manual mentions not recommending use of impedences below 6 ohms (wish I could have read that B4 I bought it!) The Tweeter guy says he's not surprised considering the fact that I had it connected to three 4 ohm speakers and mixed it with two 8 ohmers and would give me full credit to upgrade to a more powerful AVR (B&K) but said a cheaper option would be getting an outboard amp (on Ebay) to drive the 4 ohmers.

I love everything else about the 3803 and I guess theres a chance I could run into the same problem with another AVR so I've just won a bid on a vintage Denon POA-2400(200 2pc) and I'll use that to drive the 15's. Hope all goes well...

The charts says to give 2 stars if you're not completely happy...which I'm not. But that seems a bit harsh for an otherwise well performing unit. Plus there may be something unique about my setup that's not likely to affect anyone else reading this review(Mixing 4 ohms and 8 ohms at the same time?). I'll be reasonable and make it 3.

Purchased At:   Tweeter(floor model)

Atlantic Technology: