Denon AVR-3802 A/V Receivers

4.58/5 (203 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Built-in decoders-- DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, DTS-ES decoder, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround EX Amplifier Output Details-- 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Front Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 1 Center Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround back Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Front Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 1 Center Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround back Installed, 140 Watt 8 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 210 Joules 4 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 240 Watt 2 Ohm 2 Main Installed
  • Signal-to-noise ratio-- 102 dB
  • Optical Digital Input-- Yes
  • Coaxial Digital Input-- Yes
  • MD system type-- None

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by zaps9er a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
    the 3802 has been just great over the years,until I wanted to put in patio speaks to make along story short I bought a Monster multi-speaker selector that will cover up to 150 watts of power,and wham it did the trick.I have digital for the outdoor speaker's! I very proud to have friends over to hear the 3802 rock out,I didn't need to upgrade a thing and that was good.The 3802 denon is just awesome.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Juan Carlos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
    Un receiver como estos de Denon no lo volveremos a ver, manofacturado en Japón con muy buenos componentes de construcción, un sonido limpio y natural que hacen que los Energy RC-50 y Sunfire tengan un desempeño perfecto

Submitted by anarchris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
    denon's are reputed to be warm but i found this 3802 to be bright although quite accurate. also, it sends drum sounds etc to the rear speakers unlike my yammie which sends them across the soundstage in front of the listener.

Purchased At:   1199

Submitted by realm_4d a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
    We are talking transistors and solid state here, tube lovers should look elsewhere.

Made A/B comparison: Pioneer SX-750 (50 Watts/Ch), SX-780 (45 Watts/Ch) and this Denon (I believe, more than 100 Watts/Ch), with different sets of speakers (From Yamaha NS-1000 studio monitors to modern Energy to Large Advents) .

It was the same difference as between live drummer and the drum machine: The Pioneers were dirtier in their sound, and SX-780 was a tad less transparent, but much more ALIVE and less mechanical, and that's what I believe counts in music reproduction. That's the reason I love some vintage audio equipment (those Pioneers are from the seventies).
    Besides, it's a sad story when it comes to comparing modern audio gear and vintage stuff build quality. Pioneer SX-750 is rated at only 50 WPC, but has bigger power transformer and 15000 mF (EACH) caps. And Pioneer's sound is very powerful; this clearly demonstrates that power ratings can be approached very differently. When Pioneer rated those receivers, no corners were cut: they could put out all of the rated power for a very long time, while most modern stuff can handle full rated power output for only a few seconds.

Conclusion: Stay away from this one, If you like MUSIC, not movies and the surround sound.
    It's very good for home theater setups; audiophiles, search elsewhere (vintage Pioneer, Marantz, Luxman, Nakamichi, McIntosh, modern days Pioneer Elite and similar quality amps, etc., etc.)

Purchased At:   Friend's audio setup

Submitted by danm7279 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
    This Denon is an excellent product. Every time I watch a movie, the sound makes me smile. My wife is always telling me to turn it down, but that kind of ruins the whole experience. Sound is quite good in two channel mode as well. I have never had any desire to turn it up past about -15 dB for music or movies.

I only bought the 3802 over the 2802 because I wanted 100 WPC or more. I think it's just a guy thing. Anyway, if you don't have a huge room, the 2802/2803 has pretty much the same features, but only 90 WPC instead of 110 WPC, and it costs a couple hundred bucks less. I probably should have saved the $200 and gotten the 2802 at the time. I did not (and still don't) have a huge space to fill with sound and it would be more than adequate for my listening. I guess I'm just saying the 3802 has WAY more power than I need. I will never get it anywhere near a level where it will break a sweat.

MS 1400W: