Denon AVR-3802 A/V Receivers

4.59/5 (205 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Built-in decoders-- DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, DTS-ES decoder, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround EX Amplifier Output Details-- 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Front Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 1 Center Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround back Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Front Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 1 Center Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround back Installed, 140 Watt 8 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 210 Joules 4 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 240 Watt 2 Ohm 2 Main Installed
  • Signal-to-noise ratio-- 102 dB
  • Optical Digital Input-- Yes
  • Coaxial Digital Input-- Yes
  • MD system type-- None

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2017

Bottom Line:
    Being a stereo user, I've barely scratched the surface of what this amplifier can do - though I'm becoming increasingly curious! For stereo use the direct inputs allow the user to bypass the digital sound processing, and this to me is the only way to listen to an analogue source; otherwise the amp sounds distinctly average. Through direct inputs though, it's very good - there's a huge amount of current available to drive any speaker and the sound is effortlessly dynamic. It's character is smooth and warm rather than analytical; not my preference but the detail is not lost - in fact I sometimes find myself enjoying music more with it than my prized stereo amps!
    The other option I haven't tried is use the digital inputs - I have better outboard DACs, but on paper the Denon's look decent. Analogue I believe is converted to digital then back again away from the direct inputs; far from ideal, but then the amp is very unlikely to be used this way with modern equipment.
    I believe the full 7.1 information is carried over digital signal, so in actual fact this is far from obseletion and there is no need for HDMI inputs where the TV has an optical output.
    I'm a big movie fan but I'm not convinced 5.1/7.1 is necessary, however I'd love to try it since the Denon has 7 equally capable amps for each channel. I imagine the experience would be very impressive - and the amp would get very hot!
    I bought this second hand for around £75, and I'd recommend it at that price for stereo performance alone.

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
    I bought my Denon AVR-3802 after doing a lot of homework.
    It's the most I've ever spent on a reciever, having bought discontinued models previously.

My leap of faith paid of. Coupled with Mission speakers, my 7.1 system still sounds as awesome today as it did 15 years ago.

I've looked at receivers that do Atmos and all that now, but really? Even without the sub going the 7 speakers hammer out a brilliant sound that shakes the ceiling and makes the Doris moan at me!

Well worth the investment!

Submitted by zaps9er a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
    the 3802 has been just great over the years,until I wanted to put in patio speaks to make along story short I bought a Monster multi-speaker selector that will cover up to 150 watts of power,and wham it did the trick.I have digital for the outdoor speaker's! I very proud to have friends over to hear the 3802 rock out,I didn't need to upgrade a thing and that was good.The 3802 denon is just awesome.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Juan Carlos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
    Un receiver como estos de Denon no lo volveremos a ver, manofacturado en Japón con muy buenos componentes de construcción, un sonido limpio y natural que hacen que los Energy RC-50 y Sunfire tengan un desempeño perfecto

Submitted by anarchris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
    denon's are reputed to be warm but i found this 3802 to be bright although quite accurate. also, it sends drum sounds etc to the rear speakers unlike my yammie which sends them across the soundstage in front of the listener.

Purchased At:   1199