Denon AVR-3802 A/V Receivers

4.58/5 (202 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Built-in decoders-- DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, DTS-ES decoder, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround EX Amplifier Output Details-- 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Front Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 1 Center Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround Installed, 110 Watt 8 Ohm 0.05% 2 Surround back Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Front Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 1 Center Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround Installed, 150 Watt 6 Ohm 0.7% 2 Surround back Installed, 140 Watt 8 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 210 Joules 4 Ohm 2 Main Installed, 240 Watt 2 Ohm 2 Main Installed
  • Signal-to-noise ratio-- 102 dB
  • Optical Digital Input-- Yes
  • Coaxial Digital Input-- Yes
  • MD system type-- None

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Juan Carlos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
    Un receiver como estos de Denon no lo volveremos a ver, manofacturado en Japón con muy buenos componentes de construcción, un sonido limpio y natural que hacen que los Energy RC-50 y Sunfire tengan un desempeño perfecto

Submitted by anarchris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
    denon's are reputed to be warm but i found this 3802 to be bright although quite accurate. also, it sends drum sounds etc to the rear speakers unlike my yammie which sends them across the soundstage in front of the listener.

Purchased At:   1199

Submitted by realm_4d a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
    We are talking transistors and solid state here, tube lovers should look elsewhere.

Made A/B comparison: Pioneer SX-750 (50 Watts/Ch), SX-780 (45 Watts/Ch) and this Denon (I believe, more than 100 Watts/Ch), with different sets of speakers (From Yamaha NS-1000 studio monitors to modern Energy to Large Advents) .

It was the same difference as between live drummer and the drum machine: The Pioneers were dirtier in their sound, and SX-780 was a tad less transparent, but much more ALIVE and less mechanical, and that's what I believe counts in music reproduction. That's the reason I love some vintage audio equipment (those Pioneers are from the seventies).
    Besides, it's a sad story when it comes to comparing modern audio gear and vintage stuff build quality. Pioneer SX-750 is rated at only 50 WPC, but has bigger power transformer and 15000 mF (EACH) caps. And Pioneer's sound is very powerful; this clearly demonstrates that power ratings can be approached very differently. When Pioneer rated those receivers, no corners were cut: they could put out all of the rated power for a very long time, while most modern stuff can handle full rated power output for only a few seconds.

Conclusion: Stay away from this one, If you like MUSIC, not movies and the surround sound.
    It's very good for home theater setups; audiophiles, search elsewhere (vintage Pioneer, Marantz, Luxman, Nakamichi, McIntosh, modern days Pioneer Elite and similar quality amps, etc., etc.)

Purchased At:   Friend's audio setup

Submitted by danm7279 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
    This Denon is an excellent product. Every time I watch a movie, the sound makes me smile. My wife is always telling me to turn it down, but that kind of ruins the whole experience. Sound is quite good in two channel mode as well. I have never had any desire to turn it up past about -15 dB for music or movies.

I only bought the 3802 over the 2802 because I wanted 100 WPC or more. I think it's just a guy thing. Anyway, if you don't have a huge room, the 2802/2803 has pretty much the same features, but only 90 WPC instead of 110 WPC, and it costs a couple hundred bucks less. I probably should have saved the $200 and gotten the 2802 at the time. I did not (and still don't) have a huge space to fill with sound and it would be more than adequate for my listening. I guess I'm just saying the 3802 has WAY more power than I need. I will never get it anywhere near a level where it will break a sweat.

Submitted by theatrejunkie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
    After almost a year and a half, my 3802 has performed flawlessly! I've changed my speaker configuration two times since I bought this unit as Home Theater has more or less become my hobby and I just love it's versatility! From 5.1 to 7.2 I've found a world of difference in using it's full 7 channels. If you have the room size and want to experiment (if you hav'nt already) give it a shot! I thin you'll be amazed just by adding two additional speakers, especially with Dolby Digital-ex and DTS-es. I find myself constantly changing things kinda like it's an 65 corvette, but never considering changing the receiver. As I am still convinced this is the best A/V reciever out there for the money you pay. I had an Ultimate Electronics Guru (so he said anyway) and really did seem to know his stuff as Im no novice as this is my hobby, anyway, he told me that the 7 amps in the 3802 blow away what Denon put in the 3803. Is this true? Doe's anyone know a way to verify this. He (the Ultimate Electronics Guru) said his source was straight from a Denon representative that gave a learning seminar to the Ultimate Electronics sales staff, and after the seminar was over he on a one on one spoke to the Denon rep for about an hour and this is where he heard this. Are there any of you out there that know enough about Denon, specifically the 3802 to confirm this? I personally can't imagine that Denon would change anything from a quality aspect anyway to any of their products. I thought the only difference was the video down conversion and it states that it supports D.D.ex. Which since the 3802 has 7 designated amps, I would beleive it would support D.D.ex as well, it's just that D.D.ex came out after the 3802 to rival DTS-es. Im I correct in saying this? When I watch a DVD such as "The Lord Of The Rings" it supports Dolby Digital-ex and I seem to notice all seven speakers receiving different signals. Please email me with your comments or questions. Anyway, if you want a GREAT middle of the road to high end amp, don't pass this up if you can find it. eBay still has a few every once in a while.

Purchased At:   Tweeter