Denon AVR-3801 A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (323 Reviews) MSRP : $1099.00

Dolby Digital & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding • DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 105 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) • 140 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) • Analog Devices 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • 2 sets component video inputs, compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for progressive DVD, DTV • 5 sets composite and "S" video inputs • 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) • 5 & 7 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • 4 assignable digital inputs • Optical digital output • 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp level audio outputs, fixed or variable level • Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly • LCD dot-matrix programmable/learning remote features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers; backlighting main function keys

Submitted by GeorgeB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
My second surround sound receiver (purchased for $50 with remote off CL). Great for movies but fantastic for all channel stereo.Replaced a Yamaha R-V1105 which is still in use as a kitchen stereo. It was driving a pair of A/D/S M-12's towers, a pair of DCM-TF400's and a Klipsch C-5 center and made movies come alive. We don't watch regular TV channels and watch maybe one movie a month at most so most of the time it has been used as multi-channel stereo. That is why I like these Denons, very clean and dynamic sound. I have since bought two more Denon 3805's and a Yamaha RX-V1 (my most expensive receiver now since I paid $100 with remote from a guy whose "upgrading" to those little Bose cube systems). Now I have all four receivers hooked up to our entertainment PC via a distribution amplifier and many more vintage speakers and it sounds great! The Denon's are perfect for multichannel stereo use and the Yamaha is good at home theater stuff (it sucks at all channel stereo though, those dang DSP modes). Anyway, if you find a 3801 for sale you won't regret it, it is a fantastic and very well built unit with plenty of power. With nearly every room in our house with it's own system and an under $1200 investment let's just say that used stereo buys will save you tons of money. Don't forget that there are many great acoustic suspension type speakers that are very, very good at producing beautiful and accurate music out there.

Submitted by Eduardo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had the Panasonic HE100 as my AV receiver for many years, and rate it much higher than it's original
low cost. I wanted a more powerful receiver to drive my monster(143lbs ea.) Altec Lansing #19 speakers,
and was able to find a Denon 3801 that does a fine job. It lacked the remote, and without it, I can't get the
radio function to play. For some reason, Denon did not include a master tuner control on the 3801. I'm looking
at a Logitech Harmony 510 remote to do the job. I would like input from any of you with universal remote
knowledge. As a gaming computer builder, I always remove the covers of my equipment to remove dust,etc.
and take a look-see. The 3801 is the best built chassis I've seen to date, and with all it's awesome output
power, doesn't produce as much heat as my lesser-powered HE100. The heat sink assembly is huge, AND
yes, it does have a fan built into the heatsink, which can't be seen from the outside. No, it doesn't have HDMI
plugins, but component cables and my Toslink optical to my Sony upconvert DVD player, which in turn, is
connected to my 1080p HDTV via a HDMI cable, does a great job. As a brand new member to Audio Review.
com, I would like all the comments you guys have to offer. This is how I learn. THANKS!

Submitted by m. edwards a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used this reciever constantly for 8years with no failures, or any other problems at all. It has been in my dedicated listening room for the entire time. I now have it connected to a PS3, and Pioneer LX70a BLU-RAY player. The Pioneer is linked via 7.1 output and the PS3 via an HDMI to 7.1 converter from Lektropacks. Although the LX70a is deffinately a more serious piece of AV kit, the PS3 with the downloaded upgrades to the audio processing does a very good job with BLU-RAYS, so all that is left is for the 3801 to relay the decoded audio to the amp circuits and on to the speakers. Simple really. I should mention that 4 years ago i bought a SONY STR DA 1200 ES because it had the now universal HDMI input. But after 2 weeks use i removed it and replaced my 3801! I still believe you would have to spend a hell of alot more than the £900 i paid in 2001 for this reciever to get any real world improvements on audio reproduction, but still would need some sort of converter or a player with analogue audio outs to take advantage of the new HD audio formats.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by jasonbum a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Everthing is awesome about this receiver. I did major research on this before buying. I love all the settings- even has 7.1(THX) without the expense.

Purchased At:   6th ave electronics,

Submitted by EdwardGein a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
I love this receiver & totally recommend it to everyone. You can find the 3801 in very good to excellent condition with a remote & manual for between $380- $475 with shipping on Ebay & I totally recommend you purchase one from a seller who has numerous positive feedback in the USA. If you have a Universal Remote you can sell the Denon Remote for $35- 50 on Ebay. Anyway, as I said, I love this receiver. I have my CD player, DVD player's audio & digital box/DVR attached to it (I have my component cables from my DVD & HD/DVR straight into my HD TV. The sound is awesome. I actually prefer with the equipment I have now to use optical cables in it for the best sound. I know this is heresy to say, but for CD's, I listen in the all 5 channel & sub stereo mode which outputs the left & right front & back output without reprocessing the signal, the sub & the center channel is a combo of the left & right output. This gives my CDs much more depth. if you're sceptical, try it. Anyway, this receiver is a bargain & it gives great sound which you can play in 5.1 or 7.1 modes for DVDs & TV. The only thing lacking & it wasn't a problem for me whatsoever is there is no built in microphone to set DB levels & EQ's. As you can do this yourself within 2 hours or so & fine tune as necessary, I think its worth saving $1,000 & not buying a newer Denon Receiver with this feature.

Purchased At:   Ebay