Denon AVR-3000 A/V Receivers

4.84/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Flagship Dolby Pro-logic Reciever

Submitted by putitupmike a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
A true upgrade from my 30 year old Kenwood, it will be driving my Klipsch's and wowing me and my neighbors. I willwrite more when I get it all set up and functioning. It did not come with a manual. I have checked Denon and a couple of sites for maunaus but no luck. Any help here? I will gradly pay for a copy or even info from anotherDenon amp with simular buttons. LOL.
Mike at putitupmike@sbcglobal.net. Many thanks and happy listening.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Michael a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this fine tuner a few onths ago and it drives my Klipsch's wild. I replaced a nice old Kenwood which had 85 watts per and at 110 this thing is baddddd. Last night i waited until it cooled off and opened a living room window and used teh lawnmower. The music was screaming and my neighbors asked about my Blues Breaker album. They even loved it from 40 feet, through a screened window and I sware you could hear Mick Taylor sliding along the bridge like you were in the front row. I love this thing. It did not come with a manual and there are a ton of features I still don't know about. Anyone help? It would be sooo appreciated. Thanks, Mike at putitupmike@sbcglobal.net

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Cleveland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hello, I am the new and very proud owner of this absolutely awesome receiver that I bought used at an auction. It should be called an amp though not a receiver. When I read that it had a Toroidal amp from one of the other reviews I thought the guy didn't know what one looked like, I mean how could a receiver especially a surround receiver have a Toroidal, that's something usually only found on very expensive amps. But was I pleasantly shocked to see that this receiver does have a Toroidal amp and it is a HUGE one and a high quality one at that!! I have been reading reviews and listening to different A/V receivers for the past 2 years in search of the ever elusive perfect A/V receiver that would sound close to my 2 channel gear. After buying at least 3 nice receivers that did not do justice to Music at all, I am glad to say that the road stops here. This is better than any Current A/V receiver that I have listened to except for maybe the Denon AVR-5803 and the NAD T-762, but I would bet my house that it would be very close sonicly and definitely built better than the NAD. Seriously, the AVR-3000 is as close to 2 channel seperates as I have heard and I've heard alot. This amp sounds so open with voices and is sweet with female vocals. Acoustics have excellent body and you can feel the pluck of a guitar string like it is in the room with you. Bass is clean, articulate and deep. I really can't put in words how great this amp really sounds. As for William that gave the AVR-3000 a 2 star rating was either drunk when he wrote his review or is Tone Def. This piece is built like none that I've seen and is so Musical I get excited just thinking how lucky I am to have this receiver. I was very skeptical about the reviews here but I'm glad I took the leap of faith and bought this beauty. If you can find this on Ebay or Audiogon.con jump on it. I'm honestly suprised that this receiver is selling for around $400-500 dollars. It is a steal for $800 in my opinion and I would not sell mine for $800. If Music Matters most to you and A/V is secondary you owe it to yourself to own this receiver you'll be glad you did and you'll save yourself a couple grand because that's what it will cost to match it sonicly. The AVR-3000 RULES!!!!

Purchased At:   Auction

Submitted by Crazy_Canuck311 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I won't call myself an Audiophile, Because that will just make me seem like I’m full of myself. But I will say that I’m not a newcomer in the world of Audio Reproduction. I was planning on making a decent stereo for my basement recroom, Seeing that I have done a lot of work to it and have found myself spending a considerable amount of time there. I wanted something somewhat simple, my three other stereo's all consist of separates, But here I was looking for a simple Receiver/CD player/Speakers setup. Well I had an Onkyo Integra dx-706 CD player lying around, So that took care of the source. I also had an old pair of Infinity RS6b's. Now these infinity’s I have become very attached to and have spent countless hours listing to, Along with complete inner re-wiring, new capacitates, and a wonderful new Seas P21-RE 8 inch driver (Long break-in, and retail for about $400, But very well worth the time/money) Regardless I had all these components ready and was just looking for the amp. I had plenty of time, and time is what I took Within time Creative Audio (Fantastic store!!!) got there hands on a used Denon AVR-3000. I found out about it but was not feeling up to going to give it a listen. So I decided to do some research on it. Other than the one review my Mr. Nguyen, Everyone seemed to be pretty damn impressed with this Japanese machine. I went to the store to give it a shot. (Somewhat bulky machine) I was impressed enough (it was not a very long listing, they were closing and I wasn't worried about it, If i didn't like it I could take it back the next day...Like so many times before lol) Regardless I took it home and hooked it up to the Infinity’s...HOLY **** This thing just blew me off my feet. I had never heard sound like that come out of my well aged Infinity’s! I was truly impressed! I will talk about the sound quality in a moment, but I’d like to say something that I would usually only be heard stressing on in my younger days...That's a lot of darn power! The brute power that comes out of this thing (for $350) Is a serious amount. I'd have no worry in bringing this upstairs to power my massive Martin Logan’s. I'm not a huge fan of receivers, and don't bother listing to many, but take it from me. This thing really will make you want to throw in some KISS and crank it right up! And that's one of the first thing I did. I'm not seen playing as much rock as I do jazz and all that, Other then some good Canadian stuff like the Tragically Hip And The Bare Naked Ladies. But this thing could control the urge, in went KISS and up went the volume. It was about 2:00 in the morning when I did this and the neighbors came knocking on my door within a few minutes (I didn't hear about it till the next day, Music was to loud to hear the doorbell lol) SO that's that...Plenty of darn power. Next is the actual quality. I didn't try that out till the following day. First thing I put in was Eric Clapton's unplugged. This receiver brought out every pluck on Eric’s guitar, you could hear every hand clap separately, and till the very last one. To this day I feel this Cd, brings out some of the best in this receiver. Warmth comes very naturally to it. I've played a variety of live recordings, and i think that is were this amp tends to shine. recordings such as the bare naked ladies live and jazz at the pawnshop all trully come alive with this amplifier. I can't express enough how much I would recomend this amp, I'm running out of room so all i'll say is, If you don't really need DTS or DD (music listeners don't) then please, buy this amp, I assure you won't regret it. And actually, the surround technolgy in it is very impressive for it's age.

Purchased At:   Creative Audio

Submitted by William Nguyen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I don't have this receiver. My brother does. He bought this one about almost 10 years ago. He uses this receiver to run a bulky pair of JBL speakers along with an EQ. With the EQ, it sounds bad, but withour it, it's worse. I know the shorter the circuit is, the better the speakers sound, but with the look and sound of this receiver, I don't mind to test it. At first I thought the problem was the speakers. But one day my brother brought another Denon home, I think it's AVR-1000, and the little one sounds much better than its bigger brother. Without the sound quality for music, plus no DTS and DD, I won't buy it at any price. I saw one at The Goodguys as a demo at 200 back a few years ago, but it's not worth a second look.

Purchased At:   The Goodguys