Denon AVR-1906 A/V Receivers

• Component video conversion
  • On-screen display

Submitted by rek612@mywdo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'veph had the Denon 1906 for about a month. I'm using it as a tuner-preamp with my ADCOM 555/535ii/535/ii arrangement. I have been struck mostly by the transparency of the unit in direct (2 channel) mode and the multi-channel connections from my SACD player. It has no additional artifacts to muddy the sound and is much clearer than my ADCOM GFP-565. I am still using the GFP-565 as my phono preamp to good effect, however.

I have tried the various matrix modes but, being an old fart, I think they muddy the sound noticeably without adding anything of value. Maybe they'd sound better after consumption of Jack Daniels?

The movie surround mode ish really terrific. Much, much better than my deceased ADCOM GTP-740. The sounds moving off to the right and left are really amazing. I'm only doing 5.1 right now because we are moving in a matter of weeks. I'll try to do 7.1 in our new home using the 1906 rear channel outputs.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with the new technology. The only issue I think I have is that the back of the 1906 sure would be crowded if I were also using it as the amplifer.

Purchased At:   Decor Furniture