Denon AVR-1905 A/V Receivers

• DTS-ES
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx
  • DTS Neo:6 processing
  • Component video conversion
  • 3 optical (100MHz bandwidth)

Submitted by Ohhwell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver preowned to replace an Onkyo that had died. I had been using low end Infinity speakers but had been pleased with the sound. The Denon has many great features including the dual zone capabilities however, I was very unhappy with the sound I was getting from my current speakers.

After a while I found a great deal and picked up a pair of Infinity RS-5001s with the Emit-K tweeters. All of a suddon, the system sounded perfect to me. I know thst is a very subjective observation but so much involving speakers is.

I have found this receiver to be excelent at surround sound and to my ears excellent with music. The 80watts per chanel is more than enough for the average user even during movies. It still decodes every surround sound format in use to this day. The only issue with it being older that I have is no HDMI switching of course.

Submitted by tinhle01 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great receiver, but Denon always have one of the worst remote and manual. It'll give you a headache if you try to set up base on the instruction from the manual

Purchased At:   OVation

Submitted by dankobb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
The 1905 disappears. There's nothing flashy about the sound that draws attention to the reciever. The frount soudfield souds relaxed, and the surround speakers disappear into the environment.

You'll notice that when things get loud, dialogue remains exceptionally clear.

Music played with ProLogic IIx creates a seamless soundstage across the front three channels. The surrounds contribute to the ambience, but never call attention to themselves.

There is a problem with the video up conversion. I converted composite video from my sattelite receiver and VCR to S-video. The 1905 introduced little blips of static and infrequent flickers to the picture. I e-mailed Denon about it and haven't heard back.

This is a great receiver that won't distract you from the movie. It's great for subtle yet powerful sound, but not for the "WOW factor."

Purchased At:   clickfordigital