Denon AVR-1803 A/V Receivers

4.59/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $332.95

Submitted by DPman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
An excellent A/V reciever - a generous helping of Denon quality at reasonable price. I compared this to Yamaha, H/K,and sony ES and found the H/k to be the only one close in sound quality. I prefered the dynamic and muscular sound of this piece to the smoothness of the H/k.

For multichannel sound, this reciever is a treat. I use an optical input for both DVD video and audio (dont have a DVD-audio capable player) and the soundstage is excellent. Presentation is upfront but not overly aggresive (I admit, I am better at judging that in stereo than in multichannel). The reserve power levels are more than adequate as it has never struggled with even the most demanding soundtracks/DVD audio albums. I was shocked to hear the level of airiness in the upper and middle frequencies - though not up to stereo hi-fi standards it is good for a surround reciever at this price. Bass is precise and not over-weighty. The detail in the low frequencies is excellent. This unit does well with female vocals and male tenor. Some strings can be a little harsh, but it is very rare. Percussion is crisp and explosions expansive yet precise and taut sounding (not boomy and muddy). Overall, instrumental music is warm. The coordination and all round effect of Dolby Digital and DTS sound fields is excellent. The preamp out to the sub is well synced to the rest of the speaker ouputs - something I found a slight weakness in a couple of other recievers at this price range. A good convenience is the ability to switch the surround back off since Dolby Digital EX sounds better in 5 channel mode than in 6.

Stereo mode for this reciever is not its strongest point. I use an optical digital connection from my CD changer to the reciever. Detail is very good and the high mid and low frequencies have many of the characteristics dsecribed in surround modes above. Stereo imaging and separation are much better through the digital input. However, it does sound bright and this can be uncomfortable for prolonged stereo listening. The brightness is there whether I use the the line level or digital inputs. This is not bad for this price range and certainly not a major weakness for a surround reciever.

I found the digital decodong and amplification of this reciever wonderful. It is a joy to use for digital sources and a great all round performer. The amplifier is excellent and does well with the line level multichannel input when I tested SACD on it - the brightness of CD and DVD 2 channel line was not apparent. Decoding is as clear clear and precise as I have from anytype of unit under $700.

The weaknesses in function are the FM tuner and the phono stage. FM recetion is inconsistent. It is good sometimes but very spotty at others. The phono stage is mediocre. I use a cheap cartridge (sumiko oyster) but it can sound better than the phono stage makes it out to be. It is hum-prone and unclear. I rectified that problem with a Sumiko phono box and by using another line level input.
The seaker connectors are tight and close together - I think banana plugs are a must in this case.

All in all, I think this reciever is unbeatable in its price range. Great decoder and amplifier rolled into one.

My partners in crime:
H/K DVD 101
Yamaha CD changer
Infinity Entra 3 fronts
Infinity EntraCenter2 center and 6th channel
Boston Acoustics CR series surrounds
DEF Tech 8" sub
Pro-Ject 1.2/Sumiko oyster/Sumiko phono box
Monster interconnects
Cambridge sound works 12 ga speaker wire

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by pimpvache a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great Product. Denon has long been one of the more respected companies in AVR's, and they did not dissapoint. I looked at many Receivers in this price range, including the Yamaha, Marantz and Harman Kardon units, but this one seemed the best fit. The sound comes through clear and punchy. I like the fact that the remote is complicated, because no one else will screw around with my system. I have a DVD player, Record Player, Computer, VCR, Xbox and PS2 all hooked up to this thing and it really has become the heart of my system. The Pro Logic, Digital Sound and and simulations is great, and I love the Dual speaker option. Great Value and overall a great AVR.

Purchased At:   Oakville Audio

Submitted by xela a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
this product is really great, just keep getting better everytime i use it.

Purchased At:   av unlimited

Submitted by sven_sol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've been looking around and was settled on the Pioneer 2011 for about 900 pound, but this one came up for less than a third of the price! Couldnt turn it down really!! Denon have a good reputation, and I thought that this would be a nice starter for me.

After an afternoon of setting up and playing around I had it doing everything I needed. PS2, DVD, Cable, Video... perfect!

The only problems I've had is that the remote cannot handle the Digital Cable box and the TV setting is a little buggy.

Sound fields are fairly decent, and handling of Pro-Logic II is really well done!

CD Sound is not as good as the Marantz PM-66 SE, but the Amp does need a little running in. (Maybe I'm used the the Sound of the Marantz?!)

Purchased At:   HiSpek Audio

Submitted by Pat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
The remote is a brain-cell-killer, the manual is a poorly written waste of time, the different audio modes take WAY too long to switch (at least 3 or 4 seconds,) but once you figure out these quirks this sucker KICKS BUTT! It truly puts to shame mass market crap like Sony and really doesn't cost a whole lot more. I don't have "golden ears" by any means, at least not after 40 years of Rock and Roll, but there is a huge difference that is immediately noticeable.

Purchased At:   Soundtrac