Denon AVR-1800 A/V Receivers

4.68/5 (92 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Dolby Digital & DTS A/V Receiver • DDSC-Digital DSP Surround Processor • 3 digital inputs, 1 coaxial, 2 optical • Composite video switching, 5 video inputs • 4 pre-outs (L,C,R,Sub) • 75 watts X 5 channels power amplifier • 24 bit, 96 kHz D/A converters on all channels • 5 Channel Stereo • 6 Channel External Inputs for future system upgrade • 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver

Submitted by Bob in HB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I install commercial A/V systems, many in corporate boardrooms, etc. Let me say Denon products are awesome. The AVR-1800 is no exception. I have one in my 20'x14' living room connected to JBL control 28 speakers (front and rear) with JBL Northridge series center channel, and a Yamaha 40w sub. I measured 110db with absolutly NO distortion and crystal clear sound. Need I say more??

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by silverpep a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very nice sounding and looking receiver! I used to own a Sony and Yamaha receiver and this one blows them away. There is enough power for my medium sized room. I use it with B&W speakers and the sound is very refined and smooth. The remote has a small LCD and works great. 5.1 playback and 5 channel stereo are awesome. Could be found used at big discounts.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by tcaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great receiver for the money. Not much space wasted on useless features. Remote is a joke. Excellent Dolby Digital playback. Spatially correct. Strong and controlled bass if your speakers have any to begin with. Receiver has pretty flat response so there is no pronounced mid-bass. Great for movies, average for stereo.

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by R. Walter a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very well for this price.
It sounds very clear with voices, but you have to use
the Coax digital input.
With a good Digital Cable like ( HMS Il Primo )
, you will get happy ( with small speakers ).
I think you have problems,if you own big speakers.
( not enought control for the bass )
Sometimes voices sounds a bit cold.

Purchased At:   Big Reseller

Submitted by David Voss a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I've only had it a few days but here goes:

The Denon's build quality is definitely up to par with a good sized power transformer, 1 pair of output devices per channel (all discrete), and it's made in Japan! It comes with Dolby Digital, and DTS - a must at this price point. No S-Video switching - but it's available in the newer AVR-1802 (bear in mind the 1801 and 1802 are NOT made in Japan - which is why I bought the AVR-1800). The remote control at this price point should be a "learning" one, but Denon has never gotten it right when it comes to remote controls. Surround sound performance is pretty good (a little more convincing than my Nakamichi AV-8). Bass management and setup in general is pretty straightforward. I like the 5 channel. Unfortuntately - this is going into a bedroom 2 channel system so it won't be used for it strengths (DD, DTS, and 5 channel stereo). 2 Channel playback is absolutely terrible. I have to say that I am quite disappointed there. The problem is a lack of bass. It's virtually non-existent. I'm using Paradigm Monitor 7 v.2's as fronts and with them bi-wired to my Nakamichi AV-8 - the sound is clean, full, yet warm. But since I'm only using Energy E:XL15's in my bedroom setup with this - bass won't be an issue (the E:XL15's are small bookshelf speakers). The Denon is certainly a good run for the money in a home theatre system (where bass is mostly dependent on your sub), but if you're really big into 2 channel as well (like me), look elsewhere. (the Nakamichi is very good for 2 channel)

Purchased At:   Ebay Auction