Denon AVR-1706 A/V Receivers

3.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

• Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic IIx decoding with Cinema, Music and Game Modes
  • dts ES Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1 decoding
  • dts Neo:6 Stereo to Surround decoding
  • dts ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video
  • Analog Devices HammerHead SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor
  • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section
  • 75 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.08%THD)
  • Analog Devices, 24 bit, 192 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels
  • True 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver
  • 24 bit, 96 kHz A/D conversion on all Stereo analog inputs (Not EXT. Inputs)
  • Auto-Setup Calibration (DM-S205 microphone included), for Speaker Size, Phase, Channel Level and Delay
  • Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250Hz)
  • Front left and right channel bass and treble control
  • 3 Assignable Component Video inputs (100MHz Bandwidth)
  • Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component
  • 4 sets composite and 3 "S" video inputs
  • 5.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) inputs for multi-channel formats, such as DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD
  • 5/6/7 Channel Stereo
  • Digitally regulated volume control with .5dB increment adjustments and step range of -80 to +15
  • Personal Memory Plus
  • 4 assignable digital inputs (2 Optical, 2 Coaxial)
  • 10 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner
  • Direct Access Tuner presets by remote
  • Glo-Key pre-programmed remote control
  • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.8"h x 16.4"d

Submitted by panchoramos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought this Denon a few years back, it has served me very well, it has 7.1 channel capabilities. Used it for movies/music/games. Very "Warm" sounding Receiver and pairs up excellent with Klipsch Speakers. It has a slightly shorter stance than other receivers. The remote is ugly, so I went with a Logitech Harmony. The Auto Setup feature allows you to place the Denon Mic in your listening area to fine tune the receiver to the acoustics of your room and speakers.75 watts is conservatively rated, its not the most powerful system, but will bring plenty of power to small to medium sized rooms. Most importantly, it dosent cut corners, it delivers 75 watts of full power to each of the seven channels, so each speaker will be just as powerful as the other. Only drawback is no HDMI. High Quality product.

Submitted by waltcj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
This was my first time puchase for a serious (entry level) home theater A/V Receiver. for the 2 and a1\2 + years I'v owned it , it has not let me me down.
I describe the sound Quality as strong clear but never harsh,(through The Klipsh cinima 6 surround speakers) I'v had my receiver cranked for over 1\2 an hour with no protest from the unit and no distortion in sound (I listen to heavy metal and some house\techno) I recently had the joy of listening to a $50,000+ theater system. Though the quality of sound may not really compare, This little system holds it's own for clarity ant the volume it was designed for.
Now , however, I wish I had the budget to get a unit with HDMI swithching and I wish it had at least 3 optical cable inputs instead of just 2. thew remotes buttons I find are fine, but the small switches for swithching to cable box to TV to DVD are annoying and should be more visable in low light.
The programing setup mic are good but I still had to tweek the center channel and sub woofer to what I feel is great sound for watching movies DSP settings as with most all AVR receivers are useles in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Strathroy audio

Submitted by Frank McKenzie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Denon AVR 1706 when I put on a room addition to our home. I wanted a 7.1 surround system for our 25 X 25 room. The Denon has great sound but lacks some of the features you would see on comparably price units from Onkyo, Harman Kardon, or Yamaha, i.e.. HDMI I/O. I liked the unit but about 6 mo. after buying it all of the surround channels failed. It was a real hassle having to ship it off for repair. The repairs were covered under the warranty and they shipped it back for free. So, I thought, maybe a solder joint was weak and failed and they just had to re-solder it. Everything was fine until a week ago when all of the right side channels failed including the subwoofer. Fortunately I have a two year warranty. I just shipped it off again and am waiting for its return. I purchased Denon because it is so highly rated by A/V critics. Did I get a lemon or are Denon products sub-standard?

Purchased At:   Morris Home Furnishi

Submitted by spf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
After researching receivers for about a year, I had narrowed my choice down to Denon or Yamaha. Both are great products but I preferred the warm and softer sound from the Denon. Although 75 watts x 7 channels seems underpowered, it follows the same philosophy of most high current amplifiers in that its wattage ratings will rival and even exceed other mainstream brand receivers when a full freqency range and multiple channels are used simultaneously.

The Auto Setup feature was a nice touch although I had to fine tweak a couple of settings with my trusty SPL meter (especially for the sub) . I find the sound quality to be very good and can fill my 14' x 16' living room with great music and HT sound. The video switching excellent with no visible degradation of the signal.

The remote is a bit unfriendly but it suffices and can operate 5 other pieces of equipment besides the receiver.

Overall though, a terrific bargain for anyone who wants a great receiver and doesn't want to break the bank.

Purchased At:   Video Pros AVU