Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receivers

• Cinema EQ
  • 32-bit Analog Devices DSP
  • 96kHz/24-bit DACs
  • multibrand-for-video remote
  • component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 30MHz bandwidth)

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
This av amp has good sound but the quality construction of the unit is poor.
The main power supply board died after 3 years of normal everyday use.
I opened and fixed it by replacing 2x bridge rectifiers, 2x 10000uf/63v main capacitors, a blown fuse & 2 resistors but i know electronics.
That is what happens when good companies like DENON move their production lines to China.
Cheap & crap quality electronics inside. For some extra cash you can buy a better model . Do not be impressed by the sound.

Submitted by virpas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is good quality receiver. Impressive middle range,impressive panorama.I could compare this receiver with SONY-STR790,SONY STR-DA1000ES, MARANTZ SR5500. DENON has very good panorama on music and movies,easy to setup this receiver,but,-one minus! This receiver little-bit unnatural in the bass. Bass is no deep but its "dimly" deep,not clear and tight. SONY DA1000ES and SONY STR-790 has more even and tight bass. And,of course,MARANTZ 5500. Overall rating for this receiver- 4. I read a lot of excellent review about DENON receivers,- but,I have my strong opinion based on my experience-this receiver is good but not the great.

Submitted by djc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Having been a Denon fan for many years, I decided to by this unit and see how it performed. I hooked it up to my 3 Kef Q15.2's, Celestion MP1's for the rear and an Athena ASP-400 Sub. I use a Toshiba 36" TV. Set up was relatively easy, though the Japanese to English translation has always been sore spot witn me regarding the op manual. The Denon's D/A's are good and provide an excellent soundstage. The center volume needs to be carefully adjusted for effective dialogue presentation though. Bass out put was very good only limited to the Athena's placement in my room. I did measure output down to 36Hz.

Purchased At:   Listenup.com

Submitted by djc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Having been a Denon fan for many years, I decided to by this unit and see how it performed. I hooked it up to my 3 Kef Q15.2's, Celestion MP!'s for the rear and an Athena ASP-400 Sub. I use a Toshiba 36" TV. Set up was relatively easy, though the Japanese to English translation has always been sore spot witn me regarding the op manual. The Denon's D/A's are good and provide an excellent soundstage. The center volume needs to be carefully adjusted for effective dialogue presentation though. Bass out put was very good only limited to the Athena's placemtn in my room. I did measure output doen to 36Hz.

Purchased At:   Listenup.com