Denon AVR-1603 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $278.00

Submitted by leshonchristen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
it sounds greate butt it just doesnt sound like the techwood 200 watt 7 band 2 tape deck 10.0 channel receiver my pro studio speakers came with from american... the denon avr I just got so i gotta see wats gone happen in the future so far so good...it also has two different types of music modes one mode has a greate soundin bass line for todays music bt the other mode sounds is greate for old dusties and thats A problem I want both modes in one..

Submitted by M.Beier a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
After reading audioreview I decided to go for this receiver.
it has strenght but also weakness, I bought one second hand, its an old lady, I've had a hard time getting optical-input 1 working, frankly I ended up giving up and swapped to input2....

sound is great, I bought this one for ~80$, it was therefor about same price as a new headphone amplifier, and I do not regret, it powers my Sennheiser HD280pro and make them shine like they've never done before, the 64 Ohm is no problem for the receiver.

I paired it up with a pair of second hand Dali Blue 1001 Concept, and the total sound at first made me quite dissappointed, then I played around, and what I ended up with...
The DAC of the receiver is nothing compared to what any sound device from computers are, even onboard sound from computers beat the DAC by miles, a simple XFi from creative would be ashame ruining by letting this receiver try to make up for it.... "Direct" and adjust from PC, not "stereo" and regulate on receiver, very important lesson...

I might have to chance my point of view next month or so, as I intend to get either a sub, or some floorstanding speakers, I simply cannot accept the low frequency capabilities of 5" middle/bass membrane.. Looking for some 8" floor or a simple active sub.

Submitted by torgeir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I choose this one after a blindfolded test... verry good indeed, to my surprise it produces great sound in combination with a bose 5.1 surround speakerset - single type. it has beaten a lot of other brands while listening blindfolded.

Submitted by Dino A a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
After almost 3 years using it, I still satisfied with the sound quality from the AVR 1603. A friend of mine just bought AVR 1705, which carries/uses newer techno parts compared to AVR 1603. Frankly speaking, I was planning to upgrade the 1603 to either 1705 or 1905 however after comparing 1603 with the new AVR 1705, I found out that I still liked the sound of 1603 and decided to keep it.

Submitted by jburkett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Denon. This is a nice unit for those in the $400 price range. It puts out very clean audio at high volume. I have read some reviews that state this unit is not powerful enough for large rooms, but I think it must depend on the speakers. I use the Infinity primus 250 towers, the Infinity entra 2 sub, JBL northridge surrounds, and a optimus center. (I know, but it sounds pretty good!) This set up can get very loud. There are a couple of items that I sometimes wonder about,,,Some music seems a tad flat on the top end, but I can't tell if it is the source or the reciever. I hear music at times that is not flat at all. I truly think that this reciecer broadcasts exactly as it recieves. The other issue is that I don't think the surround channels get the exact same frequency in amplification as the main channels do. I say this because my JBL's sound like they are more responsive when hooked up the the front channels. (This is in 5 channel mode) It is not extemely noticable however it makes me wonder if it truly is "all channels driven from 20-20,000khz. I say all this, but I don't want to be too critical because it is a very nice unit. It produces music and decodes 5.1 as the recording engineers intended you to hear. I think the remote has been laid out nicely. I have used some of the onkyo remotes and feel lost when trying to find the volume control. You won't regret buying this unit. The quality is very very good.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield