Denon AVR-1403 A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $269.95

Dolby Digital Pro Logic II DTS Audio/Video Receiver

Submitted by Claude Rorabaugh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Denon 1404 AV Receiver is a fine unit for the audio nut that wants a good balance of price and quality. I replaced a 4 year old Yamaha 596 receiver with this unit. Right out of the box I and my wife noticed better sonic quality than our Yamaha, and a round full sound we enjoyed with some of our older equipment of the past.

Purchased At:   Fred's Sound of Musi

Submitted by ces a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
upgraded from an old sony surround receiver. the sound is by far much cleaner and crisp sounding. more enough power for my 11' X 21' family room. lots of adjustment for sound field. took a few days to get all my settings right. im very impressed with this unit at this price. music sounds great and dvd tracks are amazing. i have no problem with background sound over-riding dialog on my center speaker like some systems i hear. im using BOSE 301s up front, a klipsch center speaker, sony 12" sub., and some cheapo surrounds(for now) and this receiver really brought them to life. i thought my older sony sounded pretty good till i hooked this up. a great system for the price. compare specs with other low priced a/v receivers and take a listen, i think you will be pleased.

Purchased At:   magnolia

Submitted by Evade686 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review of the newer Denon Model 1404, but in summary: "Wow... great bang for the buck! Well done, Denon!"

The 1404 differs from the 1403 in it's inclusion of S-Video switching, banana-clip speaker plugs across the board and an upgraded remote.

I have had the unit installed for only a week, but so far I can safely say that it blows away my older (but higher powered) Technics receiver, and handily defeats the much higher priced / well thought-of Harmon Kardon model AVR-225.

In making my decision to buy this sucker, I was basically after a receiver that could do justice to my budget, but very capable Paradigm speaker setup: 2x Paradigm Titans, 2x Paradigm Atoms, 1x Paradigm CC-170, 1x Acoustic Research S108PS.

The upgrade gave me stunning enhancements in cinematic clarity and great crispy sound in music. Even when feeding the receiver an analog signal from my Soundblaster-equipped computer, the 5 channel surround setting managed impressive performance. I look forward to listening to this receiver for some time!

Purchased At:   Soundhounds, Victori