B&K Components AVR507 A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $2998.00

7 x 150w into 8 ohms, 7 x 185w into 4 ohms, 7 audio inputs, 6 coax/5 optical digital inputs, 7 composite and S-Video inputs, 3 component inputs.

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Outstanding quality and sound. Having owned several Yamaha products (RX-V1, Rx-V2090, etc..) I can say w/o any hesitation that this is the best sounding receiver I've ever owned. It's fairly simple to setup, however the manual could be better written. The remote is a very nice piece and the quality of construction on the receiver is second to none. I highly recommend this receiver....also, by purchasing this receiver you're supporting an American owned company, which I think is a good thing! Oh yea...one more selling point, this receiver is upgradeable!

Purchased At:   Evolution HT

Submitted by jmon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a great receiver with very few faults. By far and away the quality can be heard, even at low volumes, in the crisp play and segmentation between tweeter and midrange. With the right CD and front speakers playing in 2 channel stereo it sounds like you have the group in your living room. It's built like a tank and I upgraded from an B&K avr 202 that I had for 5 years and never had an issue. Aestically it's also designed well. The solid face plate shouts quality and the blue illumination is warming. The music is crystal clear (when played through a well produced CD) I think the manual could be set up a little cleaner and clearer. The remote is one of the best features by far and even in you're not buying this receiver certainly get the remote. It takes some time to figure out the software and program in the macros, but once you're done, just sit back and work the machine to your needs. The remote is large and very easy to use, just set aside a few hours to work through the software on the computer before you upload to your remote. Watching movies is also an experience to feel and enjoy. It is a unit which truely excels in both music and movies. The only points of improvement I could hear were the base and the power. If you're looking for thunderous power and driving bass from your floorstanding you'll need to upgrade to the B&K separates which provide 200W RMS/Channel. I have a pair of Klipsch RF7 which are 250W RMS and this receiver couldn't drive them as well as some of the amps I listened to at the audio store. But that's my fault for not upgrading. I would never pay the $4000 retail you have to pay at Tweeter. You take some risks by getting online, no question about it, but it's simply not worth $4000. At $2,000 it's a fair price.

Purchased At:   New on Ebay

Submitted by Bill-99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
There are a couple of things I'd like to add to the previous review.

First, B&K's remote is the Home TheaterMaster 800, I think. It's outstanding. Check them out at Remote Central.

Some users have complained about loud pops during channel changes, source changes, etc. This is worth investigating as it appears to be equipment specific. To their credit, B&K has an upgrade for the problem, though it has soured some people on the product.

Lastly, it's worth comparing the damping factor between their separates and their receiver. There are differences.

Submitted by bkulish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough great things about this receiver. After owning several Onkyo and Sony products, I can definitely state that the B&K is in a completely different class than other mass produced receivers.

The sound quality when compared A/B between the Onkyo 898 and the B&K 507 was astonishingly better. I had several friends come over and listen to the two receivers, and everyone was amazed at the difference between the two. Bass seemed so much tighter. The warmth of the B&K's mid-range and treble definitely separated it from the Onkyo. Music is now so much more enjoyable.

Home theater sound improved equally as much. I now find myself watching boring movies that I would have turned off after 10 minutes, just to hear an incredible sound track.

Build quality is excellent. One example… I bought my unit with both a silver and black faceplate. I decided to switch them to decide which one I liked best, and was surprised to find a single 1/4" piece of milled aluminum was used. This unit weights in at 55 lbs.

The only negative thing I can say in this review (and it's not the 507's fault so I won't list it as a negative) is that bad or average recordings now sound just that, bad or average. But that's what a receiver is supposed to do, just reproduce the signal as close to the original recording as possible.

I never realized the difference a high quality receiver could make in the reproduction of music and the home theater experience. I am now a believer! Now thanks to this product, the audio bug has bitten me. That actually leads to a 2nd negative, trying to get my wife to accept my new hobby.

Purchased At:   EBay