B&K Components  AVR202
Description: - Stereo - Dolby Pro Logic® - Dolby Digital® (AC3) - DTS (Digital Theater Systems®) - 105 watts-per-channel (5 channels) -Analog inputs & outputs: seven inputs all with stereo, composite video & S-video connections. -Digitally synthesized AM/FM tuner with 20 AM and 20 FM presets -Digital inputs & outputs: six coax inputs, five optical, one 1/8" mini input; one optical and 1/8" mini output with auto format conversion -Analog inputs & outputs -AM/FM tuner and seven audio video inputs that are independently selectable: all seven with S-video and composite video

Submitted by Chuck Gibbs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hooked up to tall Martin Logans, a large M/L center channel and a pair of Mirage large satellites, and a Velodyne 1000 watt sub, to complete the 5.1 system. Probably overspent on the amp ($2450) for an open box at Home entertainment in Houston (northside). Had it customized to a 50" NEC plasma monitor for superior color. Connectors hand made by custom installer here in Denver (nearly 5 years ago). Sound is extremely clear and sharp. Use a Blue-Ray disc player for music and movies. I have the center channel volume slightly higher for speech amplification. I had to return the amp to B & K for a broken connection. They replaced it for free and shipped it back for free. I love the whole setup. I am not a critical audiophile. I only know what I like. I've had the amp for almost 10 years now with no other problems. Can't believe I could only get a few hundred dollars for it.

Submitted by couldbee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used many B&K products and after reading the reviews for the AVR202 I decide to take the plunge and go ahead and get one. I traded a Parasound HCA-2200 amp for the B&K and have never been so disappointed in a product!! It has an absolutely gutless 105 watts! I thought it would fit my needs and I could have the best of both worlds, stereo and surround!! Uh no! This unit sounds absolutely terrible in stereo. My wife, who is terminally distraught when you even mention audio equipment, commented on how it sounds thin and lifeless! I always assumed that she never paid attention to my audio endeavors. But she nailed it on the head, this unit was lacking big time. I went into all the parameters to make sure everything was up to par. I reset everything and it still sounded like crap! I didn't even get to the surround portion because most of my listening is done in stereo, ther surround was bonus. I hooked up the subwoofer and all I got was a buzz/hum coming out of it! I gave up a fantastic sounding piece of equipment for this audio annoyance!
Fortunately, the gentleman that I traded with, is allowing me to return his unit and give me back my Parasound.
I have owned the B&K Reference 30 and 50, PT3 and PT5, ST 2140 and AV-5000 and have loved all of them, but this one bites. Maybe there is something that I missed in the setup, but right out of the box it did not show me anything. So if you have the opportunity to buy one, don't! Go for the 307 or above because they at least have more wattage pushing them. I have a cheap Sony digital receiver that I paid $8.00 for at the Goodwill that sounds better than the 202! I was seriously disappointed! If you do purchase it I hope that it does what you expect it to.

System includes:
Meridian 508.24
Audio Research LS3B
Sound Wave 3.0 Speakers
M&k Sub
MIT Cables
(Hopefully my Parasound back)

Submitted by Leslie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
This unit is definetly geared toward the audiophile. If what you're looking for are the bells and whistles of a mass market product you won't find them here. The difference between the sound of this and the "made in china" Harmon Kardon I replaced with it is outrageous. Sure it laks pre-ins and 6.1 7.1 (which my harmon kardon had), but the sound is drop dead gorgeous and in my small room I couldn't really tell the difference (between 6/7.1 and plain ol 5.1) anyway. The direct mode is awsome if you listen to alot of 2channel and have resonably full range fronts and a good source. The combination of this and my Vandersteen 1c's seems to be a marriage made in heaven as they now kick out much tighter more satisfyiing bass than i've yet heard from them, not to mention the almost holographic imaging that has my non-audiophile friends constantly asking if the center channel and surrounds are on when they're not. The tuner section is outstanding sounding and has no problem picking up even the most difficult staions with a decent antenna attached. This is a true audiophile piece of equipment that requires a proper power source and a well ventilated location. A big fat high current Mosfet amp like this won't last long in a tight fitting audio rack or sealed up in an entertainment center/cabinet. Thanks to it's age you can find them for bargain basment prices on ebay and it's still upgradeable from B&K; for a grand you get all the latest surround modes and pre-ins. The original price was way out of my range but at current ebay prices its a steal. After this I can never go back to the mass market made in china/malasia/taiwan junk I once had. American equipment is the best. If you're tired of speniding your hard earned cash at the bix box stores only to see "made in china" on the back when you get home than this would be a good choice. It's a night and day upgrade from any big box store equipment.

Purchased At:   gramaphone

Submitted by Dennis Lane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
This unit is amazing the sound clarity and seperation are beyond compare. It blows away my NAD AV-716 and my old Marantz. It's super easy to set up and you will find yourself playing DVD's or CD's that you had'nt watched or listened to in awhile just to hear the difference. I have heard sounds on some tracks that I never heard before. This is the best audio equiptment purchase I've ever made and I'm nearly 50, and my son who is 17 loves it too.
This unit is currently powering NHT fronts, Klipch center, cutom built full range 3 way rear speakers and an RCA 200 watt 12 inch sub.

Purchased At:   privately

Submitted by RowdyPig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I would like to point out to anyone who is considering purchasing this lemon: Look at the length of time the reviewers to date have owned the unit.

If you would notice that the only Positive reviews are ones from people who have had it less than a year. Furthermore, they all remark on the fact that it is "built like a tank" or "looks good in my rack".

If you are concerned about quality of your music don't get one. If you are concerned about the visual appearance of your system , go to BlackBox or some other In-Wall cabinet manufacturer and I'd be willing to bet you could afford a custom in-home air-conditioned unit on just the money you would save by avoid this miserable piece of junk.

AGAIN: PLEASE NOTE THE REVIEWERS TIME OWNED --everyone loves it at first, then grows to hate it.