Aiwa AV-X200 A/V Receivers

Submitted by Forrest Joseph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought the AIWA AV-X200 back in 1997 when I bought my first large projection TV, thought I was going to have good surround sound. Could never get the sound right no matter how I tweaked it, so I mainly used it to play thru the 2 main speakers and thought that was as good as it could get. For years I settled for less than what was adequate sound from the unit. Basically parked the center and two rear speakers on the stand under my now Sony 60" on the TV stand. Had always wanted to get a reel to reel player, finally broke down and bought an AKAI GX-77 from eBay that was in good working order. Recorded a couple of Kenny G CDs onto the 7" reels and it sounded amazing on the 2 main speakers from the AIWA unit. For grins, I decided, what would it sound like if I connected the center speaker and the two rear speakers up.. Set the unit to Dolby Pro Logic, set the center speaker to -10DB and the rear speakers to +2DB. The sound that jumped out at me was nothing short of true high fidelity, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. All the speakers are on one wall, the 2 main speakers are about 20 feet apart, with the center speaker dead center on 10 feet. The two rear speakers are approximately 2.5 feet on either side of the center speaker. All sound comes at me from the wall. Perhaps this unit was not the best surround sound system but how I have it set up now, when the AKAI GX-77 reel to reel is playing, the sound is incredible. Hope this helps someone that may have bought this unit and was never really satisfied with it, perhaps a different set up rather than using it for surround sound, you might want to consider perhaps doing what I did. I am totally impressed with this unit I've had for 19 years now, it has never sounded better.

Submitted by scott a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had this for 25 years.
Lived in a apartment so had to keep it simple. This thing has hung in there and jammed through the years.

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is not the best receiver on the market but I have owned it since 1997 and at the time it was comparable to Sony and Pioneer at the time. Infact, I thought for the price it blew the them out of the water! I paid $250. I agree with a previous post the surround sound isn't the greatest but for listening to music it is great! I have 4 250w 12's hooked up to it and I have used it at levels up to half of the max and it still produces great sound. It has an overheating safety switch to protect it, Plenty of hook-ups and easy to use interface. This was my first receiver and I still use it to listen to music. I can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

Submitted by orinmed1 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had this stereo since it was new in 1997, it has served me well. No it does not have all the features newer receivers with HD have. It does put out great sound and has plenty of auxillary ports for connecting other components to. Jacks in front are nice to have. Has lighted display that switches from red to green letting you know wether your on cd, dvd ect. As mentioned in other reviews there are better receivers but for the money and sound quality you can't go wrong. I have had this receiver for 12-13 years and still works flawlessly!

Submitted by Stephen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Grade a+! I've had this reciever for about a year with no problems accept it doesn't have 5.1 it would be perfect for someone's 1st reciever

Sennheiser: