Aiwa AV-D77 A/V Receivers

2.5/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

* 600 Watts Total (5 x 120 Watts)* * Built-In DTS & Dolby Digital Decoders * S-Video Switching (2 In/3 Out) * 3 Digital Inputs (1 Coax/2 Optical) * DSP with 30 Presets

Submitted by Fortunato Baclit a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Power is overkill for my small room. Shakes the whole house everytime my 4 year old daughter plays her M2M CD. I'm a little concern on thermal issue because it heats up the room after just 5 minutes of playing. Not sure if this is a specially designed function for cold weather countries so that you won't be needing to turn on your heater while watching movies. Tried to put a tiny DC fan on top and seems to be fine (better do something before it's too late). The unit now looks cool even for a very little airflow. Another unusual for this model is the surround speaker impedance. It is rated @ 8 Ohms minimum while most surround speakers that you can buy in the market today is 6 Ohms. Luckily, I was able to read the whole specs before buying a speaker set. I might end up celebrating new years day in mid of October.

Purchased At:   China

Submitted by Greg Cordier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Enjoyed the AV-D77 for almost two years before it gave up the ghost. Just made a "pop" noise one day and refused to come back to life. Authorized AIWA service center said it would cost $175 to repair, so I opted to go with another unit. I now have a Yamaha 5560 and am very happy.

The happy ending to the sad story of my AIWA death is that I purchased it with a platinum VISA a little under two years ago. The VISA has an enhancement service that doubles your manufacturer's warranty (up to one additional year). They will repair an item for up to 70% of the original purchase price, but I came in a little over 70% so VISA is refunding me the entire price of my purchase! Never thought I would love a credit card company. Thanks VISA! I love my new Yamaha!

Purchased At:   DigitalWarehouse.com

Submitted by b boyd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
i love the live 2 and 3 settings. loose the remote and you are stuck not all features can be accessed via the frt panel. anybody got a remote for sale cheap? bill

Purchased At:   sams wholesale

Submitted by Alan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Another burnout. This one flashed and popped, sending up a little plume, as soon as it was turned on for the first time. I got a second one but was not particularly impressed with the speakers so I took it back. Considering the price, it's probably a good deal but I decided to upgrade to a Denon.

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this as a part of the HTD-777 home theater package, most likely because I am getting frustrated with all of the researching. OOPS! I do not know about the amps blowing out like on the other guys, but the sound reproduction for both music and movies is terrible in all modes. I played around with independent speaker volumes and every other trick I could think of. The sub, although it does contain an independent volume control, is muddy and distracts from the overall (poor) sound quality. Also, the remote is monstrous big and cannot perform many functions on any other component. I tried to like this system, I really did, but even my wife wanted me to spend more money on something better. For those of you who are pulling your hair out searching for a good sound system, trust me, do not "settle" for anything less than what you want, even if it means waiting and saving.

Purchased At:   Sam's Club