Aiwa AV-D55 A/V Receivers

3.87/5 (15 Reviews)

500 watt receiver

Submitted by dmconw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this system a day ago from 11/22/08. I came home and looked at Model AV - D55 on online. I seen reviews that were heart breaking. My system was doing what some of the rewiews stated. The crackling noise throught speakers playing in DVD or CD mode, was coming from having the odb's adjusted to high. As stated in the manual, if odb's are lower than the tuner or higher than the tuner then adjust to the sound of tuner. The only way to adjust to sound of tuner is by listening and where the volume is set when in tuner mode. 2 odb is about where the tuner is set. If have odb to high for DVD or CD will make a crackling noise through one or both of speakers. Since I adjust the odb's, I hear no crackling noises.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by JJJD IV a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
Ever since selling my old reciever, a beloved JVC RX707, I have been using this reciever. Up until now I did not know that it was rated at 150Wx2 but do not believe it... Much like cheaper power supplies found in a pc, what is the rating and what is the real time output are sometimes never the same... Tonally, this reciever does not stack up to my old JVC... My Infinity SM152s start to hiss the second the volume is turned on, and gets louder as it goes up. I guess I am pretty critical, for the JVC was almost hiss free even at higher volumes... Also, I get a slight thud as I turn on and off either the unit or the speaker selector. No biggie there I guess being this is a reciever on the budget end and. The T Bass is a decent feature, but in my opinion adds too much in the mid bass, causing it be abit muddy and sloppy. At 2 or 3 settings in it is way too much bass (unless the neighbor is getting on my nerves!!) (: Again, I am being too critical. The remote is decent and I like the 3 video inputs as well as the switching of the video out of the monitor. The function knob is kind of a pain if you want to select a source but can be done from the remote painlessly... The reciever looks pretty cool and is ok in terms of the quality of it's casing. I don't know, I really miss my JVC but hey, for 70 bucks this is a no brainer!

Purchased At:   from friend

Submitted by jaylo1081 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
The AV-D55 would be a great product for its price range, but when you advertise a Lexus with a BMX price tag there will be questions. Featuring the 5.1 capability was great and let’s not leave out the variety of DSP options backed by an outstanding 500 watts per channel, what more could you ask for. Once again reality comes into play and “all that glitters is not gold”, first up 500 watts per channel. After being presented with the concern of hearing loss with my previous receiver, 500 watts per channel was welcomed with open arms. To this day those 500 watts are still being questioned, especially by my (Orbit-QX2T) surrounds. Up next; defective DSP circuitry or design,
There is definitely an issue here. Lets face it when you are introduced to a product bearing the *Dolby* symbol quality of sound reproduction is without a doubt a must.
Unfortunately with the AV-D55, I can’t say that Aiwa had it’s priorities in order. There
is definitely a problem here, after doubting the 16 gauge monster cable and then finding out that wasn’t it? It was off to the RF cables, hey we love Aiwa so why not replace all your cables to find out the problem still persists. As the aged saying goes “It’s not you, it’s me”, and as every person has felt after finding out “this time it really isn’t me, it is you”.Now being over whelmed with the feeling of being enlightened, but yet plagued by one question and one question only……….”what to do now and who has the answer”.
Aiwa if you’re listening your consumers need your help!

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Bryan Townsend a

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can not believe the number of positive reviews from people on this piece of junk. I purchsed this to complete a home entertainment/DVD/Surround sound system. From day one, the rear speakers have a crackle in them. It is almost like you are trying to drive 100 watt speakers with a 5 watt amp. I have had this unit in for warrenty repair three times in the first year. The same problem persists. I am a factory representative, selling electronic compnents to manufactureres. Some of our customers are Pioneer, Delphi, and Clarion. Even thogh I do not sell DSP chips, I am certain that there is an inherint defect somewhere in the DSP chip or circuit. The stereo mode of this unit works O.K. And I believe that is were most thepositive feed back is originating.But I do have to set the volume to around the 30 mark to get any kind of decent volume. And I am not a young head bangger. There is no way this unit is putting out 100 watts per channel. Selling to electronic manufacturers, I know the ever present pressures to reduce costs in electronics. You can buy a 32" fully loaded color TV now cheaper than you could by a basic 19" model in the 70s. But if you are manufacturing a product for surround sound, sound should be the optimum priority. I don't care how it looks, smells, or feels, the sound is the important thing here.This unit not only delivers minimum surround sound volume, but throws in a very distracting crackle from the rear speakers. As I write this, Aiwa and I are discussing some sort of "lemmon" settlement.

Submitted by Azman Nordin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this model after going trough all the brand's and model's. For my low budget home theater equipment, this receiver is giving me enough sound quality even I'm using it to watch my TV channel. I had add an external heatsink fan to reduce the heat.Good value for money.

Purchased At:   Penang HomeCinema