Sony TA-E9000ES A/V Preamplifier

4.5/5 (362 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

SONY PRE/PROS

Submitted by 1Inventor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have been wanting this preamp for quite sometime after my 333ES receiver's digital circuit quit on me.
It has excellent build quality after inspecting the units innards, excellent capacitors and components. I listened to it for a good month prior to performing mods to improve the sound. I received the unit with the early version 1.10 and was pretty disappointed at the sound. It was harsh, gritty and was way less than what I would expect from a flagship pre. I immediately went out and purchased the cable and upgraded to ver.2.10. Now were talking...plus the added features from the upgrade. Smoother, silkier and better highs.
I wasn't satisfied with a couple of things with this unit so I decided to do some mods;

- Upgrade stock 18 gauge power cable to 14 gauge
- Use better power connector
- line entire chassis with copper cloth (shield)
- place copper cloth on digital chips.(EMF/RF)
- place damping material in strategic areas
- surround entire transformer with copper cloth.
- Added Oak Side wood panels ( really looks cool )

Needless to say it is a much quieter unit with better backgrounds and more detail.
- clean

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by wayne nielson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent multi-use preamp. I packed away my Van Alstine! For those reviewers of the Sony TA-E9000es who say it does not record analog....yes it does. I've been recording off of FM and records for awhile. You must remember that this unit does not convert digital to analog! Hook your CD recorder or Mini-disc recorder to the analog output, look for "rec. out"!!!

Submitted by Stevie D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have recently been doing some camparisons between the Sony TA-E9000ES and the new Sony STR-DA4ES and 7ES Receivers. Looking under the hoods of these models tells a great deal about their build quality. I am in the middle of writing an extensive review about these units, and sometime in mid-September, it will be posted at www.audioholics.com. In the mean time, there are a number of other great articles there that are worth checking out.

Purchased At:   Oade Brothers

Submitted by drramsey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I will start by stating that this a splendid looking unit(i have the gold). It performs the HT functions well. It does sound much better than most of the others I have heard. The Krell HTS II is a cut above, but is in another price bracket.

The remote is a stretch at best (eats batteries) and has limited uses. The one way remote included in the firm ware updates is much better. But, to truely make the most of the unit you need to spend another $300~$500 for a pronto or other quality remote.

If you think that this rather pricey processor will give you top shelf sound, you will be dissapointed. It is a good performer by HT standards, but I still have a true class A 2 channel system. In fairness, I do not think you can expect theunit to perform 2 channel function at a level much beyond average. The HT functions, and sound are rather good for this type of sonic enjoyment.

The board at www.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforum is amust stop for owners of this unit. Great support and set up tips. This unit does not allow for the use of phono to cd or tape recording (I also found that a mm cartridge works best when using the phono section).

The unitas at EBAY and audiogon are your best values. I would not purchase new again. The is a bank of 5 EQ settings to choose, this is your only bass/trebble adjusts, other than turn over ect.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Sony Dealer

Submitted by Stevie D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this processor and I am very content with it. It will be with me for a long time, as I will not consider upgrading to anything else, since nothing comes close in this price range. I have tried many other processors before selecting and staying with this unit.

I am not concerned about missing out on SACD or DVD Audio, since both formats are a scam. Check out the articles written about them on www.audioholics.com and www.iar-80.com/index.html. These articles and many others made me a believer that we are not missing out on anything with SACD.

My only complaint about the unit is that it appears you can not use it to record an anolog signal, such as a Phono. When you try to select Phone to another source to record to, it is grayed out. It is this way with anything that operates from an analog source. That leads me to believe you can only record in the digital domain. That's a bit unfortunate as I was really hoping to dump some of my old Albums on Tape or CD. Oh Well, I guess you can't have everything.

Purchased At:   Uncles Stereo