Sony TA-E1000ESD A/V Preamplifier

4.43/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

Digital Preamplifier

Submitted by Jake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
If you are lucky enough to find one of these pre-amps like I did at a pawn shop, or elsewhere, buy it regardless of it's going price. It was way out of my range as a youngster in my twenty's. This, particular "pre" captured my eye from the unbelievable cosmetic condition on the shelf in the store, so I took a shot at it without having it connected to anything except a pair of Sennheiser 250 circumaurals and a Denon player via the optical inputs. The salesman did not know what the hell it was. So I got it for $100.00 dollars with the original remote. If you are fortunate to have access to five channels of high end amplification, you will not believe your ears! When transfering digital (sp/dif) music in/out, it cannot be beat even at todays standards of Hi-Fidelity. I am writing this as of 2010. I do not have have any of the problems that other reviewers scorn about (loose connections etc..) As an audio enthusiast, I would have to pay thousands to achieve this level of sound today. The Sony TA-E1000ESD was way ahead of it's time. I am glad to be able to experience this level of audio before I give up on Hi-End, which I cannot afford today getting closer to early retirement age. I have owned several hundred components in my lifetime, and this Pre-Amp really caught my attention. I have even used it professionally at a dance club with high comment. I cannot tell you how versatile the features are here in short. You just have to experience this device yourself if you can find one in mint shape as I did. If it was to fail, I would hope that the Sony Corp. would still be able to repair it. That's how much this Pre-Amp impressed me. Keep your eyes out for one, you will not regret it. ...Jake from Jagsound Digital.

Submitted by Ahmed Haroun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I agree that it is an outstandig major componant to the system as sound quality and it realy controls your A\V system to its best hights, but if you are a HIGH END Audophile this unit is not for you.
IMPORTANT:It is perfect with sattlite digital recievers It wil change your life stile ...endless high qualith intertanment

Purchased At:   Sony Riyadh Saudy Ar

Submitted by fred_bloch a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I used to be an audiophile, limited
to only two channels... Then I've found
a surround digital preamplifier on Ebay
called Sony,TA-E1000ESD. At this time
I didn't knew the existence of this
wonderful site (audioreview), and decided to buy this preamplifier without knowing anything on its performances. But I had only a two channel amplifier: a Harman-Kardon Citation. I had to buy 4 additional channels then i bought two ROTEL RB/951 on Ebay (120 Euros each).one for the rear channels, one for the center and the subwoofer.
And then i finally discover what a really
good surround system is. The sound is clear, and the preamplifier allows lot of
possibility (usually standard in sony
systems). The only thing I regret is the remote: it does everything (perhaps too much), but hard to use (every button are the same...). I can't believe anyone who
can change of input without looking at
this *** remote... Then i found a solution, I bought a JBL TC1000...

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by cemal_gurel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all this unit is best with digital connections. It has 2 optical & 1 coaxial inputs and 1 optical rec out. When increasing eq. by +12dB with it's 3 separate adjustment bands, there is no noticable harmonic distortion. But if you do that with analog RCA connections a little distortion is audible. Surround processing is really good, tastes real, not artificial. You can turn on/off all your home system and control power amplifier, CD player, Dat or Minidisc with this unit if you have its 'Countries other than Europe' model with 3 switched 540 watts and 1 unswithed 300 watts connections. European model has 1 switched 540 watts only but practically this is no problem with extra electric plugs. Comparing TA-E1000ESD with TA-E2000ESD reveals the TA-E1000ESD's richness. TA-E1000ESD has extra analog front panel adjustment knobs, has 3 mode digital input leds on the front for 32,44.1,48kHz sampling modes and has cable based remote control connections at the back. There is another model called TA-E1000ES which is an inferior model of TA-E1000ESD. It lacks golden RCA inputs, lacks aluminium front panel and sounds slimmer than TA-E1000ESD. I am using this pre-amplifier with its complement TA-N220 which is a 4 channel power amplifier, so I can hear the real surrond processing details that the control amplifier gives.

Purchased At:   Girne (Kyrenia) / No

Submitted by Blah Blah a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you like reverb, this unit is better than the 2000. See reviews for 2000 for more detail :o)

Purchased At:   Ebay