ROTEL RTC 970 A/V Preamplifier

3.09/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by rockmachine a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought this rotel preamp to use for a system I put together in my garage.I patched it into an adcom 100 watt amp and everything is fine.I have noticed that the rotel is a solid body preamp,other preamps I own have vents on either the top or on the sides to allow heat to escape,this rotel does not and after an hour or so it gets warm to the touch.I think perhaps I may remove the cover and drill some fine holes into it so as to let the heat out and or place a small cooling fan on top as well.

Submitted by MusicMachine a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
Sounds alright but mine had cross-talk from the tuner meaning that you could hear the radio very softly thru all inputs (when it should be silent). Maybe mine was defective- I don't know. But it also has the strangest little joypad like volume clicker with numerical readout above.... to me it was silly and ugly. Rotel only did it on this model so I'm not the only one that hated it. Most other rotels have a sweet heavy volume knob that's one of their best features. I sold for an rsp980 and later a rtc965 (numbers are backwards- I wouldn't trade the 965 for two 970s).

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Ben Macpherson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this pre-amp about two weeks ago for a fairly cheap price. I've got it feeding into a Leach amp (it's one I built myself, but as all the DIY amp builders know it's a good'in).

Anyway, the last review by Mark is more or less exact and a fair assessment of the Rotel. It is a very smooth sounding pre-amp indeed...almost to a fault (depending on tastes). It does lack heavy duty thumping ability, but then again I've been studying for ten hours per day in my room everyday for the last two weeks. The stereo's been on virtually the whole time and I didn't once get sick of it - ie. none of that listener fatigue you hear some reviewers talk about. If it were a car it'd be a 3 litre V6. It doesn't have the performance of a V8, it doesn't strain like a Japanese 4-cylinder, but it can cruise quite nicely thankyou very much.

Yes the remote does indeed suck. Mine just plain won't go. And it does make some clicks when you're changing the volume, but that's not a major turn-off for me.

Having two zones offers some nice flexibility to use other types of amps without fiddling with cords. Lots of inputs, lots of outputs which is good (for me at least). The tuner is extremely good too.

I've got no regrets about buying it, especially for that price.

Submitted by Mark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this last month for a ridiculously low price to use for a second system in my bedroom. I didn't expect it to be a world-beater, but it is better than any received I've ever owned or heard for that matter. I'm not going to comment on the design flaws, which have already been abundantly well pointed out, but I will state that this is a fine product, and I'm thrilled to have it as a second system.

So far, I've just used it for music. The tuner is far better than the Yamaha and Sony I've used in the past. I'm very happy with it, and that alone was probably worth the price.

The sound is quite warm, decently detailed and very smooth. My Arcam main system is not in any danger of being replaced. While the Arcam sounds like a 120 piece orchestra, the Rotel is more like a fine chamber ensemble. It does what I need it to, and I'm happy with it. I recognize that many people prefer the smooth, warm and laid back Rotel sound to the sonic kick in the pants that comes from my main system, so I'm not going to knock it on those grounds. I didn't want something that sounded just like the other system anyway.

It's worth noting that the first unit I purchased did not work. It buzzed something fierce after about 8 hours (and didn't sound that great before the buzz kicked in).

At any rate, I would recommend this product strongly to someone who wants a definite improvement over a receiver and who is serious but not fanatical about sound -- especially if it can be found for a blowout price like I found or on e-bay or the like. My value rating is for the price I paid and hoping you can find a similar price.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music

Submitted by Jacob Vognsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
As a previous owner of the RSP-970, i knew what i went into with this preamp. It sounds great, by playing ordinary Stereo it is worthy of the price alone. Use a DVD Player with a good built-in DD/DTS Decoder and you get excellent 5.1 sound, or even better, with the Rotel Decoders for DD and DTS the sound is even greater!!
I CAN understand all the fuss about the remote, it sucks bigtime, once mine didn´t work, i tore it apart and found out that the buttons seem to get stuck sometimes... But it works, and the sound is unbeatable at this pricerange.

It is not the BEST Surround Preamp i have ever heard, but for the price i payed, it IS the best, and to me ordinary stereo is still very important...
The tuner is great, though, sucks inn all stations, very good, way better than most seperate tuners.

All in all a very fine product for the price, though the remote sucks a bit

Purchased At:   Used