ROTEL RSP-960 A/V Preamplifier

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by gsgz hyh a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
A big step up from knob overloaded budget jap crap at an even lower budget (I bought the last one in stock, hence the price of 100 Euro).
Luckily there are still processors like these around that don't have all that sound quality degrading bass 'n trebble knobs and what-have-you.
Acts very clean as a plain stereo preamp too. Slightly dark highs is a minor turn down (which is probably why it isn't as 3D sounding as some higher priced competitors such as Parasound), but as I said: slightly.

Submitted by Pierre a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I gave away my audiosource and saw all processors as scrap but I was tempted by the Rotel at 200 $ CDN (That's like 50 cents US) and I like it. In stereo it is simply a very good preamp with no noise and a usable subwoofer out (unlike the audio source which had a weak filter).

In home theater it does a great job too but I found that I like the 'concert' mode when listening to stereo CDs. If you do not put the surrounds too loud the effect is very enjoyanle.

Try it on 'Hearts Of Space' on NPR and have a ball.

The store had another unit and I wonder if I'm not going to get it hm....

Submitted by Eric a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1998

Bottom Line:
I too purchased this unit for $200 brand new in the box recently. For that price it is unbeatable. The sound is excellent for both home theater(no dd) and for home stereo use. I was looking at many other pre-amps with many of the same features but they were all around a $1000 or more. If your budget is not big this unit is the best in every aspect.

Submitted by Ryan Callahan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to the 960 AX from an Onkyo TXSV 727. I gave up onscreen display and a bunch of configuration features for the cleaner sound of the Rotel. Sonically the Rotel is much more precise and lacks the noise of the Onkyo's preout stage. (I'm amplifing via Acurus A80) I have yet to experiment with Pro-logic capabilities.

Submitted by Zeeshan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1998

Bottom Line:
I purchased the RSP-960 on a demo clearance for $200(remote control missing). It has 2 audio and 3 audio/video with S-video. It has ProLogic and three other surround modes. For 200 bucks, its a steal. I was impressed with the sound quaility of this unit. In Dolby ProLogic, during a conversation, if I disconect the center channel speaker, I can not hear any sound from all the other four speakers, which means that it has a extreamly accurate Prolgic processor, almost like as if it was Dolby digital decoder. Also, is very good sound for plain stereo music listening. It does not have a lot of cool toys and options built into this unit. But for what it supposed to do, it does a dam good job. There is only two things I wish it had. The bass/treble control knobs and a 6-ch input for the dolby digital/DTS decoder. Highly recommended

60.0 WA BLACK: