ROTEL RSP-1570 A/V Preamplifier

• S/N Ratio: 45 dB
  • Input Impedance: 75 ohms

Submitted by Laminarman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Don't quite know where to start with the only other review (at this time) of this unit. I have had several units in my home theater/stereo listening room, and this unit is by far the best. I had used just recently a stop gap measure Yamaha and Pioneer receiver/processor until I could get this Rotel with the HDMI 1.3 out. I also had a Carver unit, and auditioned a variety of used higher end products with my Carver Cinema Grand amplifier. I use Tannoy speakers all around, a Marantz CC4003 player, Playstation 3 for Blue Ray and Cardas cables all around.

The most immediate improvement I noticed was the excellent surround processor, detail, handling of bluray movies and balance of the signal to all speakers. My speakers immediately seemed better than they had been with this unit attached. Music has passed the litmus test for me: I forget to critically listen and just sit and enjoy the music once again. When you get a wide soundstage, great detail and transparency and get lost in the artist, the equipment has done it's job. I use the Rotel's DAC with a digital out from the Marantz CD player and good grief, it's good. I am now selling my Parasound DAC that I had used to make my music more enjoyable.

It is a very good unit. It's expensive, but it's worth it. The onscreen displays on the TV are nice. I don't have delay problems like others at all. I have two minor complaints. The annoying blue ON button is bright and doesn't turn off, and the remote looks like something left over from about 1970 and handles like it too. The remote is lit, but the menu items are not so you can't read them in the dark. C'mon Rotel, make something better than that remote to complete the unit.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by amlanc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought it from eBay for $1500 to pair with my trusty 985 MkII amp. The setup was really easy. But I was disappointed at its overall quality. The HD picture quality was good but almost every other aspect sucked. The built in DAC is of inferior quality and somehow suppresses the overall openness of the sound. The way out of it is using the 5.1 input from a DVD/SACD player where it doesn't use DAC. or use the 2 channel audio directly. There is also an weird bug that doesn't go away even after firmware upgrade. There is a 2-3 sec. delay in the beginning of a song or music. After searching the internet I saw many other people found this issue. The only way out is to use non-digital inputs from the source. In this case it was an apple tv but I was hoping to use Rotel's DAC instead of apple tv's which i assumed to be of inferior quality.

The surround modes are quite useless and at this price range one would expect a phono as well. But not there.

HDMI switching is mostly flawless. Upconversion from analog component video input introduces a sliver flickery line at the top of the screen.

I used to adore Rotel components, time to change opinion I think. The support is also terrible.

Also at this price