Proceed PAV PDSD A/V Preamplifier

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by windman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
If you are reading up on a Proceed PAV these days it will be likely as strictly a 2 channel pre-amplifier given that the onboard Dolby Pro-Logic processing abilities serves about as much value as having a spare 1982 Chrysler Cordoba kicking around in the garage for fun. More to the point if you are NOT looking at a Proceed PAV as a 2 channel pre-amplifier than you should be. Why ? Because the Proceed PAV was basically an off the shelf $ 2K Mark Levinson #38 pre-amplifier with a $ 2400 processor added on inside of new sheet metal with the Proceed name on it all.

That is correct; with a $ 4,400 original list price; (not counting the PDSD add-on that pushed the total price up to close to $ 10K) the Proceed PAV represented pretty much the absolute cutting edge, state of the art in Home Theatre of the mid 90’s. Most every H/T magazine editor used at least one Proceed component (or more) in their reference systems and most insiders to this very day realize this is about as close as you can get to Mark Levinson sound and build quality without the Mark Levinson prices.

In short the PAV is a steal; it has incredible 2 channel performance for what it is. Even Stereophile magazine compared the 2 channel performance of the PAV to a $6K Jeff Rowland pre-amp in the day and that is really saying something. It’s that good. I won’t get into the sound quality other than to say you simply have to hear one. It also has 2 sets of balanced inputs and a full set of balanced outputs on top of the standard RCA’s…..You just cannot beat that kind of value and flexibility.

For under $ 1K (what these Proceed’s typically sell for) you will be hard pressed to find better value.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by fde a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
very good preamplifier in stereo mode, very soft sound and detail, very good stereophony effect, sound opened,

Submitted by kenneth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit and I am quite pleased with it and testing against other models in the past .
lexicon,krell,marantz I found were very tough to sort out because of the fine feature that inexpensive unit
did not have as upgradeablity and download software into the unit.
I found the sound is awesome if you put the right cable like Synergistic research for alpha sterling series
just does it wonders very detailed and depth is realistic not faded.THe subwoofer has omproved 10x over than old unit I had.
I bought a rotel 5 channel amp 100watt per channel does it good but does not have XLR input that I really want to open the soundstage
and better detailing in sound effects .I would like to buy proceed HPA-3 amp & HPA-2 for my pav-psd units then I could bow myself away
by the fanastic quality of sound. I wish when they say digital cable the would put in connector that a 36 pin not single ended or j45 phone line crap.

Purchased At:   audio difference

Submitted by John Fein a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased my PSV/DSD about two years ago with the guarantee that it was state-of-the art and would remain that way for the forseeable future. I was shocked when I e-mailed Madrigal to find out when all the fantastic upgrades
now becoming available for the AVP would be available for the PAV. I was told that no more upgrades would be available to the PAV/DSD platform after the latest software upgrade, to enable a link between the PMDT and the PAV, was released in the near future. Sorry, it's too old and costly to continue upgrading. This isn't what I was told when I was shopping for a new system. I was told it was "FUTURE-PROOF", along with a lot of other promises of longevity. How could this be. If they could upgrade the AVP, which was supposed to be less upgradeable due to hardware restraints, (the PAV has removable hardware drawers designed to make hardware upgrades simple, the AVP does not)I do not understand why they can't upgrade the PAV/DSD, which is also supposed to have much more and better quality processing. I would have bought the AVP for thousands less if I had known that then. I had already traded one expensive Dolby Digital reciever that was only a year old for the latest model because of the new formats that seemed to be endless. Within a year, I found there were more exciting formats available and decided to invest in the "Future-Proof" idea. The Pav/DSD seemed to be the perfect answer to my deams (aside from the price). Up until yesterday (1/14/02) I was quite pleased with my decision and very proud of my Pav.I can't complain about it's quality and above-all sound,it's still quite a fantastic piece of equipment, It's hard for me to talk negatively about it. I am having a difficult time dealing with the fact that the main reason I bought the system in the first place was because of the advertised upgradeability well into the future. With all the new formats becoming available, I had been looking forward to new and better things on the horizon.I had hoped the future would have lasted more than two years.

Purchased At:   Carefree Audio Video

Submitted by Austin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
The PAV/PDSD is an incredible setup for home theater. I have not heard many of the other processors out there, so I cannot really say it is the best. However, have a few concerns about the design of this package. I understand why the PAV was analog, and why the PDSD was designed to work with the PAV as one unit. Although I think there should have been a stand alone PDSD that had all the capability of the PAV. It seems in efficient to have two units. Especially when you consider that an entire set of interconnects must be purchased to connect the analog pas through. Also using two boxes to hold the electronics obviously costs more than if it was integrated into one box. As well as the fact the PAV is many years older then the PDSD. Don't get me wrong, in a no holds bared system this is probably the way to go. I bet out of the other processors this on will have the best Dolby pro logic recording as well as the best analog stereo pre amp. Another reason the PDSD access in my mind is that it has balanced outputs for all channels. None of the lexicon decoders seem to have this. It also has a balanced digital input. With the proceed DVD player this option is provides a digital connection better then any that the lexicon processors provide. The PAV/PDSD is phast compatible. The same goes for most proceed, and mark levinson hardware. As far as I can tell none of the lexicons are phast compatible. As I see it the krell processor is the only other pre-amp that has these options. The lack of information on krell product both on the krell site, and the Internet as a hole has precluded me from making a full comparison. It seems to me the PAV/PDSD could be more competitive if they had made a single unit. The PDSD should have been made in its current form so that PAV owners have a path to upgrade. I still think this is the best processor/pre-amp available. One option I am not clear about is the ability to add a second set of surround channels. With a 5.1 channel source are they just duplicate surround channel outputs, or are there synthesized 6 and 7th channels? I would like to hear what owners have to say about what I have posted. I can be E-Mailed at spacewars@yahoo.com.

Wood Technology: