Proceed AVP A/V Preamplifier

4.63/5 (62 Reviews) MSRP : $4995.00

DD/DTS audio video preamplifier

Submitted by nurxhunter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is a ‘slimmed down’ version of the $30,000 Mark Levinson #40, as per the AVP2 copy:

“Features found in both models include the digital interface receiver (DIR), the "Intelligent FIFO" digital input buffer, and differential DACs for left and right front channels. The #40 and the AVP2 have "identical processing hardware and software," according to Madrigal, and both use four "SHARC" 32-bit fixed/floating point processors for the main zone.”

The upgrade cost from an AVP to an AVP2 was $2500. The AVP is not comparable to this--and this review is for AVP2.

I am the second owner. I used it to drive my Hammer Dynamic S-12 from a custom PP Triode 807 amp. and also a Music Reference RM9-2 into VSA VR3.5 with dual VSA subs.

1) Of around 15 nice DACS I have owned, this is a good as the best of them. IN STEREO-NO-SURROUND MODE this is a SUPER STEREO 2CH-DAC with a high quality ANALOG volume AND BALANCE control. This is critical to me as 90% of my listening is Stereo, and my left ear is down 6db from my right.

2) As a preamp, it is VERY transparent. Like it's not there. Marvelous job by Proceed.. With processing off, this is a state-of-the-art analog-only preamp. Sounds like a passive (Better in fact than my Luminous Audio Axiom, which is quite good for what it is).

3) The approach to the remote is outstanding--radical simplicity and effectiveness. But--ya just gots to read the manual for a page to 'get it'. Just push and hold the upper left button and a screen pops up on the TV letting you reprogram buttons. Cool, I think.

4) Clearly, this is a high-end piece thought out and designed by engineers who are arguably among the best in the 2CH and Surround industry (Proceed/Madrigal/Levinson). Almost a statement piece.

5) In Surround Sound mode (5.1, but 7.1 capable, I believe), it is the best I have heard, including the EAD and Meridian (568.1) lines, and some others. Its signature is in between a Meridian and an EAD. Just to the warm side of PERFECTLY neutral without being bright in the upper mids (Meridian) of soft in highs (EAD). This is critical to me for any solid state piece.

Thanks for reading this dissertation.

One last note: From everything I have read, the upgrade to AVP2 makes this a totally different beast than the AVP, a fact Proceed/Madrigal was quite proud of. The upgrade was $2500 back then, and many owners sprang for it, and loved to result.

Submitted by Eli72 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
This review is for the AVP2

One of the best sounding pre processors ever. It sounds as good as a top rated 2 channel pre amp in stereo. that alone is reason to grab one of these at the prices they are going for. I own this and also a meridian 568.2

It's hard to compare the two, I consider both of these units to be the best of the best. AVP2 seems to have a fuller Bass while the Meridian a slightly more detailed high, again it's tricky comparing these two, both give me chills.

Here are some of the features both units lack that I believe are essential:

1. No balanced surround outputs

2. No HDMI or Component connection

3. Only 1 digital Toslink optical connection

4. Not the best remote control, I also don't like to have to turn on the TV just to change some settings

5. AVP2 has no EQ settings, you cant trim the treble or bass, I'm not sure if this is good or bad but it would be nice to have a little control over some of the frequencies at times.

5. And most important they are discontinued and no longer have upgrades available, the AVP2 cannot be serviced without spending a fortune.

One great advantage the AVP2 has is that it allows true bypass for stereo and lets the stereo signal go straight through without conversion or processing, this is like having a real pre amp that keeps the signal untainted and pure in 2 channel. Also the AVP looks beautiful with it's silver/white metal frame, shame Proceed is no more.

With all that said I still think the AVP2 is a classic component which I intend to hold onto until it stops working all together, it's just that good. I spoke with Mark Levinson tech support and confirmed that these units have not been cursed with leaky capacitors or any major known flaws that need service, they were built to last a long time from what I understand, the only known problem on these units are the crystal display which can be replaced even self service. If your priority is music then grab one, if you need more connections and want to have 20 speakers hanging around your ceiling then this is not for you.

Submitted by fde a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
very good preamplifier in stereo mode, very soft sound and detail, very good stereophony effect, sound opened,

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchases the AVP2 from an Audiogon seller a few weeks ago. I know that Proceed no longer makes new equipment, but I am compelled to say that this is the best sounding 2 channel and suround sound processor I ever heard. This comes from someone that spent a forturne looking for equipment over the years to sound this good. I guess Proceed is no longer for sale, because It is as good as the much more highly priced Mark Levinson processors. This is a steal if you can find one.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by kris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the AVP2! This is the best proceesor I have ever heard. I have been through so many processors this year trying to find one that is good for movies and most important music and I found it. I have owned California ssp-2500, Lexicon mc-8, Meridian 568, Anthem avm20.2, Parasound c1. The worst out of that bunch was Anthem buy far. The Parasound C1 was very good along with the Meridian 568 but the Proceed with the best to me. There are no bugs its easy to setup and the DAC are awesome to say the least. You can take a $200 dvd player to a digital input on the Proceed and it will sound just like a $4000 one. There no relay clicking just pure sounding music. This is a better preamp then my old Conrad Johnson preamp.

Purchased At:   internet

Suggestions for a new pre-amp (replacing Denon AVP-8000)..

So while the world's struggling with the swine flu I seem to have gotten bit by an upgrade bug yet again. To make the long story short I currently have Denon's AVP-8000 (with which I really have no fault), but am thinking of whether I should upgrade from it and to what. I don't think I'll be going ... Read More »

AVP:Requiem

Aloha Everyone, I bought Alien vs.Predator: Requiem DVD this weekend and attempted to watch it. I couldn't get past 15 minutes! I think it's WAY Too Dark! I don't remember it being that dark in the theater. I think I have My television adjusted correctly using Video Essentials. Other dark movies ... Read More »

Long winded impressions of the Arcam AVP 700

I’ve been living with the Arcam AVP 700 for about a month now so I figured I’d write up some impressions of my experience to date. I went with this model after an incredible deal on the Anthem AVM 30 fell through. “If it sounds too good to be true…”, but the guy was honest and when it ... Read More »

Adcom GFA 5500 + Proceed AVP Deal

A showroom in New York is offering this bundle for $1,300: Adcom GFA 5500 Power amp Proceed AVP Preamp Both are open box demo models, but sparingly used. Is it a good price? Thanks. - AreejRead More »

Micromega - Amp A60 + Amp-processor AVP

Hello, I'm looking for the best choice for my Quad 11L speakers. I've heard a demo with the pack amp Micromega A60 for 2 ways) + amp-processor AVP Platinium (for the 3 others ways to have a 5.1 system). Whay do u think of that choice ? The advantage is to keep the hifi sound with 5 speaker ... Read More »

BLG CP024: