Parasound PSP-1500THX A/V Preamplifier

3.14/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

NA

Submitted by rl8139 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
This a really nice sounding pre amp with a lot of detail. You can hear every detail of instruments and differentiate between instruments played at the same pitch. Dont know what the problem is with the previous reviewer. Never have any problems with my unit which I have used daily for over a year. I dont play it so loud that all the circuits start to clip which will damage your tweeters.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by blantto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just want to update my previous review. This damn thing keeps locking up..at loud volumes, yeah I can reset it by unplugging it for a while, but I am waiting for one of my speakers to blow during one of its "lock ups". Still think the sound is good when working, but not worth the reliability issues. I am going to go with the Outlaw 950 processor, this thing simply isn't worth it.

Submitted by Mark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I build cinemas (35mm film), and home cinemas. Anyway, the sales guys decided on one of these Parasound's, or as we have come to know them, paralyzed-sound,

So far 3 units have been returned due to locking up (2 units) and one went up in smoke. All 3 from the same site.

The menu's are a complete joke, very basic, nothing more then level setting and delay, not even a 3 band equalizer.
The manual's are wrong, late manual additions are everywhere.

It is imcompatable with pal when using the on screen display, has some rather odd artifacts.

I'd strongly suggest staying away from this, and all Parasound products. I have a pile of dead parasound gear from mates who have wanted me to fix it.

They love using capacitors rated at 52 volts at 60 volts. Rule of thumb for capacitors is never go past 80% of their voltage rating, especially when running at an elevated temperature. BAD engineering/production.

Submitted by Brad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this unit. Great sound.

Submitted by Ron a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
After reading all of the reviews on here I was amazed by all the lock ups that just a simple "unplugging and re-plugging" solved. This has never happened to me. I guess I should consider myself lucky. However, I have had to ship it back to Parasound numorous times because of an overload problem. Each time they said the unit had an open resister in it. The last time it was repaired they told me that I should not have to send it back anymore because they found that two pieces in the unit (a resister and something else, I can't recall what) were switched since the day it was built. I have not had a problem yet, but it has not been too long since the repair either. Another weakness, as mentioned by others, is that darn remote volume control. It is very annoying trying to get the sensor in the unit to pick up the signal that the remote is sending. As with the other reviewer, I was given the same response from Parasound on this issue-it is just how it is. Also I would have liked to see the unit with a volume knob (like the Parasound AVC-2500) instead of those two buttons. The humming noise that the unit produces (mentioned by other reviewers) is easily fixed with an inexpensive part which is placed in your cable/TV line. The fix is explained in the unit's manual. Other than those weaknesses it is a fine unit.