Parasound AVC-2500 A/V Preamplifier

4.51/5 (35 Reviews)

AUDIO VIDEO CONTROLLER

Submitted by armando contreras a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
Soo good

Submitted by lwaoc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
After over 1 year of use, I still really like this unit. I'm posting this review in case anyone is out there considering buying one (at this point on the secondary market), or a 2500u new. It's a killer buy on audiogon or Ebay if you can find a reputable seller. I'm a 2 channel audio fan, so adjusting to this as my only preamp has been some work. The lack of tone controls was overcome with placement and EQing. The 2500 sounds fine to me, but sounded much better after I EQ'd my theater at the suggestion of a number of theater consultants. I'm astounded at the difference EQing made. Parasound is built well, and their upgradability means I don't have to keep running out and dropping 3.5K every 2 years to get the latest dig. The downside is there's always a module or bolt on to get. So far I have the external 6.1 rear channel processor, the phono preamp, add on bass management module, and the outboard AC-3 laserdisc decoder. I'm looking into the latest send-in upgrades for HDTV pass through and especially 5.1 external processor volume control. It stinks not being able to control volume on SACD and DVD-Audio material, however I'm glad there's an upgrade path. I find the menus and setup very intuitive, initial setup means going through the quirky manual. If you glance the manual cover to cover before messing with initial setup, you will be a MUCH happier entertainment recipient.

Purchased At:   Local A/V Shop

Submitted by Bink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my humble opinion this pre/pro has to be at the top of the list... even still given the AVC-2500 has been out for several years now. Parasound has been great at rolling out upgrades... first additional Bass Management, then 5.1 volume control, and now the HDTV component input/output upgrade. I have used this processor and compared to 2 other heavy hitters: Proceed AVP and the ADA Cinema Reference. Here are my thoughts:

Setup - I had this unit connected and setup within an hour. The automatic calibration routine is fantastic... no meter required! If there is an easier to setup pre/pro, I have not seen it.

Inputs - Has just about everything anyone could want. Yes there are pre-amps with more like the Anthem, but I've got way more inputs then I can use. If you like lots of balanced inputs and outputs, you may need to go elsewhere

Processor - Easy to use and intuitive on screen and readout for surround modes.

Surround Performance - Dolby Digital and DTS processing is fantastic. On par with the Proceed AVP and Cinema Reference.

Stereo - Solid performer, though there are better. I have not heard a processor do better stereo than the Proceed units.

Build - this thing is a 25 pound tank. The face plate must be a 1/4 inch thick. Very solid.

Warranty - Is there another company that warrants their product for 10 years... don't think so. And when you call service.. there is a knowledgeable person there to help you every time. I had service performed on an older Parasound PSP-1500... they fixed and returned it within a week!

Price - The pre/pros in this class include the Proceed ($4000?), Anthem ($3500), B&K Reference 30 ($2500), Sunfire II ($3000) AND the Parasound which you can get around $2000. The Parasound can go head-on with these pre-amps and you will pay less.

Summary - I keep trying potential replacements for my AVC-2500, but always go back. Maybe it doesn't have all the new fancy surround options like Dolby Prologic II, DTS EX, etc... but I am sure Parasound is working on it.

Submitted by MichaelB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
It has an excellent soundstage and performance for movies or 5.1 channel material. For music or two channel sources, it is very good but not excellent.

Setup - the setup is complex and time consuming, but that is true for almost all home theater setups. Bring your quick connect guide! With the new bass management the setup is improved since it is easier to use the THX parameters to set up your system when you have full range speakers and powered subwoofers. The tuner works well in high signal strength areas and again provides a nice soundstage.

I have the Parasound HCA 2205A amplifier. I wanted an amp that could meet the strains of home theater, but didn't require a fan for cooling. So far, the amp has been bullet proof. It is heavy, so if you are considering this setup, get help carrying it!

This is a very fine unit, and arguably for the money at the top of its class.

The Parasound AVC 2500 has proved over time to be somewhat disappointing. I have owned it for two years and enjoyed it immensely. It is not something you will master in a few days., unless you have used an elaborate pre-processor or high end AV Receiver before.

Should you buy one? Yes, don't pay full price, they can be had for $2000 to $2500 new. Be prepared for a learning curve unless you are an expereinced HT person.

As for dealers, they probably can't reapir it, so don't make the in house service a criteria, unless they are an authorized facility

I miss my AVC 2500, see weaknesses

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by Dusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow! This thing retails for $3,600. It wasn't worth $1,900 I paid. I also bought Parasound's hca 2205 5ch amplifier.
Ok, now that I got your attention, let me explain. It's great for movies. It's a movie machine, but if you want it for music, you're going to be disappointed. Gosh, most of the mid-fi receivers I've heard sound better than this. There is very little audio control. No tone controls. It won't let you select subwoofer in stereo with large speakers, contrary to what the manual says. Even audiophiles, who eskew the hated tone controls and such, would probably not like this that much. The highs are shrill and metallic. Lows are very good, though.
As far as an A/V processor, it's pretty darn good. There were a couple of problems, though. Setup attenuated the subwoofer level to be almost inaudible. Video could not handle the output of my fading VCR. My receiver displayed some color, but the AVC2500 displayed black and white. I just wonder if the problems are specific to this unit.
If you're building a zoot home theater for movies only, this will likely work well. For us blue collar types who want to be near the high end, get the Denon, Integra, Marantz or B&K receiver. As for this unit, it's back on Good Guys clearance rack, along with the amp.

Price Paid:    $1900.00