Nakamichi IA-1z/IA-1z dts Home A/V Separates A/V Preamplifier

Submitted by Bill Freehorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is in the wrong place.
The similar IA-1Z (non-DTS) has 11 reviews under
Integrated Amplifiers (which is where it should be).
Every single reviewer gave it five stars I believe.

Sorry to hear the previous reviewer's bad luck.
I bought mine from ubid with the DTS upgrade and everything not only worked perfectly, but the unit looked brand new (other than one of the buttons which is slightly scratched, scraped).

I just got the unit today from ubid with the DTS upgrade (I have some questions about how to make sure I have DTS, since the unit was upgraded and the manual doesn't mention DTS).
It was an absolute steal at $509 including the DTS upgrade.
It is refurbished, but other than one small button that has been scraped/scratched, the case is in brand-new condition. It must have been a return after a few days or (short term) demo.
It even included both remotes, which I was worried about receiving, since the auction stated "remotes and accessories MAY be missing.

So far I love it!
I would like some advice, about the best settings for delays and also speaker levels for Dolby Digital DVD playback. I like to get plenty of sound from the rear surrounds. Maybe someone can suggest some good levels.

This unit sounds great and is built so well, that I may very well keep it for 10 or more years.
It is 12:15 at night, so I can't test everything without
waking or disturbing my neighbor. I'll post a follow-up
soon.
The Dolby Digital sounds crisp, clear and powerful.
It doesn't include all the DSP settings, that really aren't that useful anyway.If someone could e-mail me (studx66@hotmail.com)
with instructions on how to make sure DTS is installed properly and working fine, I would really appreciate it.

The value rating is based on the price I paid,
although even at twice the price, it would still be a good value in my opinion.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Tom Benhart a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
After just less than 3 of using this 1-2 weeks old item, I noticed a hissing sound out of the speakers. After playing with it, and all there was left hooked to it were the Infinity Overture 3 speakers & the power cord the hiss remained unaltered. The change in volume level did not affect in the slightlest. Most disappointing though, the call to Naka's Armando in tech support remains unaswered 3 days later. Luckly, a friend is an A/V engineer who pegged the problem to a deffective power supply!!!!! Ubid was wonderful in accepting to take the product right back without any fuss - good job!

My experience with this item is quite limited and unpleasant. Better luck with yours...so you choose.

High End: