NAD 917 A/V Preamplifier

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Submitted by kgurney79 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
A quality unit that was a definite upgrade from my previous H/K receiver. Sound is warm and detailed. Plenty of inputs and outputs. Great tuner, in fact the best built in tuner I have ever heard.

Purchased At:   holm audio

Submitted by Greg F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Awesome unit. It got me started into HT. I used in 2 channel for a while, then got into HT. It does an awesome 5 channel job, very flexible with setup options.
This is a high quality unit. The other reviews talked about tuner and video quality, I think this is the best of all the ones I tried. Tuner antenna needs to be experimented with, try coax cable feed if you can. Video and interconnect cables need to be kept away from power chords, it makes a big difference.
For the deal I got and the cost to upgrade to DD/DTS I am very happy and will stay with this. I think many prologic units can be had for a steal considering their lack of popularity. The component quality is very high.
I also used it with very low impedance amp, no problem. I think the amp may have not been a match for speakers. Only passive preamps need to be carefully matched to power amps.
I love everything about it and my girlfriend thinks it is beautiful too.
I can never go back to receivers, separates are truly the first step to getting serious sound.

Purchased At:   used, private sale

Submitted by Tanvir Hafz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had the opposite reaction to this pre-amp/tuner than the previous reviewer.
I have already tried several seperate tuners to pick up a jazz radio station that's 50 miles away (my favorite station, 107.3 in Elyria, Ohio). Only this one comes close in both reception and sound quality.
I have this mated to a Sherbourn 5/1500 amp running Magnapan 10.1's all around, Magnapan Center, and an HSU 10V subwoofer.
I am pretty happy for now...

Taz

Submitted by keith f a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
When i connected this to my rotel power amp with the standard input it sounded very harsh. In desperation I enabled the variable inputs supplied with the rotel 951 (lucky for me) and cranked up the input impedence, the sound improved no end. If you have a power amp with a low input impedence - beware !!

Award-Winning Axiom: