McIntosh MX130 A/V Preamplifier

THX Dolby AC-3 Pre-amp with tuner

Submitted by LAIHORNG1976 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Bottom Line:
Good piece from mc! Really love the design and most important is the music this thing can produce.

Submitted by hifigeezer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
In 2011 this is obsolete as an A/V controller (no HDMI or component video), so I got a bargain ($710 for a 9/10 unit). It seems there are several versions with or without balanced connections, so pick yours carefully. Bass in particular is more robust that the Adcom GFP-750 it replaced; frequency balance and imaging also very good. I've owned a Reference Line passive preamp and used the Adcom mostly in the passive mode; I have not tried the phono section in the McIntosh. My only beef is that this thing is huge and a bit ostentatious in appearance -- just the thing for the McMansion. Awsome flexibility as a preamp for a complex sytem - multiple tape loops, enough inputs for even the most acquistive audiophile. I haven't had the chance to compare this to state-of-the-art preamps but suspect it is at my point of diminishing returns.

Submitted by mustafa sav a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
My unit remembers when I set the speakers individually and switch the amp on and of.I liked this preamp better than c 39 . I still like 2 channel audio better than home theater, dough...Too many adjustments is fine to play and to find out which setting you like the most...for a while. I know that I have a solid system of 7106 macintosh 6 channel amp plus the MX 130 to build upon. Lots of choices, lots of things to hook up...

Submitted by Jim Cash a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned my MX 130 for about 4 years. I traded it for my previous C39 preamp, and an old Mac Tuner - wanted all in one with the remote control of the FM.
I like it very much. Good clean handling of audio and video signals.

I have not installed the THX board.

Things I like most are:
- the fact that it is 2 preamps in one - feeding main listing speakers and remote Amp/speakers with a separate IR remote control.
- ability to do a Sys Calibration run to set the vol of each speaker.
- simple large controls.

Things that could be better.
- needs a battery for memory retention of calibration settings - they have to be reset every time the power "flickers" - and often you do not notice till after listening for a while.
- the remote should allow switching between "hall", "cinema", etc. - since I use the unit mostly for CD Audio, but then switch to cinema every time a TV program is in dolby. This requires putting doewn the remote and walking to the unit. (worst part of this is answering the questions from people who ask you why you didn't use the remote.)
- the FM display seems to blank out at times - need to turn unit off and on to get it back.
- there should be more than 8 presets for the FM stations.

It does what Mc always does - handle signals well and provide good clean reproduction of music.
But gees - missing that battery back up of memory was a significant ommision for an engineer to make.

Regards