Marantz AV-600 A/V Preamplifier

4.45/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

AV preamplifier tuner

Submitted by old_s13 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
Thumbs up on the Marantz AV600. Its 2005 and I picked this pre-amp up in EXCELLENT condition for under $250, what a steal! The unit works flawlessly, took about 1-2 days to get used to it and configure it -- but it works SO well.

Being an old seperates fan, I got pulled away about 6 years ago due to "dolby digital 5.1" revolution.. and while 5.1 sure is nice, NOTHING can compete with the stability, cleanliness, and perfection of stereo and seperates. So, I ditched my Sony 5.1 reciever and picked up this Marantz AV-600. I connected it to my old vintage Kenwood L-07M monoblock amps and let me tell you, life is ALL good again! The pre-amp combined with the monoblock amps just breathed new life back into my Klipsch KG5.2 main speakers! My 15" JBL sub is rolling oh so smooth!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by thargismo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This preamp is a steal! I got off eBay to use in my main TV room. I was quite suprised to find that an older unit produced such incredible stereo imaging. I don't know that I would have paid the $1300 it originally listed for, but it is a great performer for someone looking to get top end stereo performance for very little money. The ProLogic decoding is also very good, yet its two channel listening that was most impressive. It delivers smooth and warm sound with an excellent imaging. The RC 2000 remote is an added bonus. It will literally run everything in the cabinet. I would highly recommend!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by nate a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
no where near the sound quality of the original marantz equipment of the 70's. philips bought out marantz and they are making money off the name. their sound is very similar to pioneer sony and other mass market products. im using paradigm studio 20 and ma500 mono blocks.

Submitted by Joao Estrulla a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Its best value for money, especially in my case, for only 302Euro instead of 1500Euro. Im highly impressed by the Quality of this bolide. It is really audioEnthusiastic. My older NAD Surround Amp broke up, and i bought the Marantz AV600 with the Monoblocks. Theres really a great difference. Im very happy, that i decided to buy this peace of Luck, peace.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by GR Werth a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked up this unit to mate with my 5 existing MA-500 Marantz Monoblocks as a first move to seperates. I didn't research this unit until after I bought a used AV550. After reading postings here and visits to well a few respected audio shops, these things confirmed my suspicions that the AV550 wasn't all that great on music. For DD.1, it did an excellent job, but I'm much more into music now then when I first started.

Anyway, the AV600 lives up to being one great preamp. The DSP modes do nothing for me, but the two channel side is very smooth with excellent mid-range and sparkling highs when used with my Paradigm Monitor 7's.

Eventually I'll probably move up to an AV9000, but for now, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Purchased At:   E-Bay