Marantz AV-560 A/V Preamplifier

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

AV-560 Dolby Digital/DTS Preamp/Processor

Submitted by Pete a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned this about 10 years and I totally dread the day it gives out.I has done exactly what I wanted from day one.Make sure you have a good subwoofer,if you do this sound can not be beat! I run it with marantz cd player od6000sd klipch l20 speakers and adcom amp.

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this Pre/Pro for less than a month. My previous setup was a Denon 1801 too which I added a Rotel RMB-1066 to power my Fronts/Centre. I looked at Pre/Pro's put the price was just too much for my budget until I came across the Marantz on e-bay.ca. Since my basement isn't setup for 6.1, etc I wasn't too worried about the limitation of upgradability with the Marantz. And with selling the Denon I was able to get the 560 for an extra $80 out of pocket. The unit was new in a sealed box and came with the amazing RC-18SR( Marantz 2000MKII) remote. The alone will takes days to program. Just so much it can do. I got the unit hooked up and recalibrated with a day and all I can say is this is one excellent piece of audio equipment. Like when I hooked my Rotel upto the Denon for the first time, again I am hearing detail that I never heard before. And the remote? What can I say. AMAZING.

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well-priced (price paid was for a floor model), compact size, rather plain but pleasing design (basic black)and has solid build quality. Sound quality is great, remote control is excellent with very easy learning feature, and connections are quite extensive ( DVD, laser disc, VCR, DSS/VCR 2, TV, tape(no tape monitor), CD,Aux) but no phono or headphone jack. Capabilities include Dolby Digital and DTS, ProLogic. Also has cinema re-q. There is a sleep-timer, night mode, and off switch for display.
On front panel there is an S-video input plus composite inputs for audio/video. Multi-room feature is a real plus.
Questionable upgradability for DVD-Audio and SACD. Bass tone control does not give much control over bass especially without subwoofer connected. I still haven't been able to get on-screen display to work. Balance control for stereo is inexplicably complicated.
Overall, this is an inexpensive yet solid unit if you want to replace a receiver and get into separates. unfortunately, it's a little short on features you will find on most higher end receivers. Still, the price makes up for much of those weaknesses.

Purchased At:   Domani Entertainment

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow! This thing does it all. On screen menu is excellent. Has every imaginable setting for surround.I paired it up with the mm9000 amp and the klipchs rf3 package. It compliments my speakers perfectly. Just pure sound. I was going to go with an intergrated system ie.dennon av3801. I am glad I went with this system.

Purchased At:   Jaimieson

Submitted by john nunya a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on this and a MM9000 amplifier from the local HT store ($1600 with all the Monster interconnects). I have been looking around for a long time and finally made my choice. I have Used the Sunfire and the Rotel stuff but they just didn't work for me> I have Klipsch speakers and they were just too bright for the Rotel equipment. The Marantz has a more tubelike sound which compensates for the brightness of the speakers. As for the Sunfire, I cannot justify the cost for such a small gain in performance. The remote with comes with this thing is amazing. I had a Sony AV2000 (the big one the the touch screen) and now it is just sitting there doing nothing. The sony was great but this one is better.

Purchased At:   Local HT Store