Marantz AV-550 A/V Preamplifier

4.16/5 (49 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This AV preamp was a demo model & I basically stole it for $400! The first thing I noticed about this preamp was how clean the Dolby Pro Logic was as compared to my old reciever. This preamp is pretty quiet & you really have to turn up the volume to get a noticeable hum with NO source playing at the time. I only have 2 complaints, NO HEADPHONE JACK! ARRRGH! And a remote that requires a college degree to fine tune. Considering the outrageous cost of most AV preamps out there ($1200 & up) I feel I made out like a bandit.

Purchased At:   MYER-EMCO

Submitted by GR Werth a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
My very first preamp, purchased prematurely because of a need to mate something up with my MA-500 monoblocks. Excellent features for use with DVD's, but not as well defined for music. Has a very good tuner though, as I found out I liked listening to the radio again!

Purchased At:   Local via paper

Submitted by Guy Usher a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
No I don't watch movies wearing ladies underware nor do I care for BOSE spkrs ( I guess thats why they make cadillacs different colors) but I do enjoy the hell out of this MARANTZ preamp.
You can't be all things to all people, what MARANTZ has done is to provide you with a decent all purpose preamp. No it doesn't have DTS but the only time I miss it is for "HELL FREEZES OVER" EAGLES DVD.
When I bought this piece I looked long and hard, you tell me where are you going to buy a better more reliable, better warranty preamp for $750 with the RC2000 remote. Yes I might like more digital inputs but I really don't need any more. DSS, DVD are really the only 2 pieces I have that require it. I only use 1 SVHS tape deck, it might be nice to have another VHS input, but I don't use another VCR. It might be nice to have COMPONET video switching, but I only use the one on my digital TV, mabe in a couple of years when there is more HDTV available.
I don't even own a cassette player or turn table anymore nor do I want to.
I find this piece to be very easy to use, good on screen display, with assignable digital inputs it is even more versatile.
Are there better pre/amps out there? If you really compare apples to apples the answer is not no but HELL NO.

Purchased At:   Sound Ideas

Submitted by Darren Cambridge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have no complaints with the item. Excellent decoding, nice user interface, plenty of S-video ins/outs, and a great remote. DTS would be nice, but I have a hard time finding DTS DVDs anayway. Preamp/decoder technology is changine so quickly that I feel more comfortable buying a solid midrange system product like this and upgrading as the technology improves, using my long-to-be-obsolete amps.

Submitted by biznik biznik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought mine with an Acurus A-150x3 for about $900.00. Read about the guy who bought it for $290 (holy sh..)that's a real good deal. I loved it as a AC-3 decoder but something was missing musically. Maybe it was me, I have listened to other preamps with my Acurus amp; Counterpoint, Acurus, Bryston, and there was a clear diffrence musically. Maybe the extra couple grand seperating the preamps, and the fact that the Marantz was an A/V pre. So I am branching out and getting an "audio" preamp for upstairs, jeez this is an exspensive vice. The value is incredible, though $1000 new I might been a little disappointed if I would have made the purchase than. The AV-550 is a very, very good pre for $500.00 and below. The remote is easy to use and is like cruise control on a car. One push of the button and kick back and relax. Can't complain much about it. I am very please with its performance. I am still starting out so any of you "veteran audiophiles" that knows where I can get good deals on gear, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
System:
Marantz AV-550 preamp Monitor Audio (MG-10)front
Acurus A150x3 (Front/Lows,center) A/d/s (rear)
Harmon Kardon PA 2400 (Highs/Front) (lame subwoofer)
B&K ST-140 (Subwoofer)