Lexicon MC-8 A/V Preamplifier

• Coaxial and optical inputs conform to IEC-958
  • S/PDIF standards Sample Rates
  • 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz Accepts 16-24 bit PCM audio
  • Dolby Digital, dts and dts-ES discrete data formats Main Audio Outputs
  • 1 stereo pair (RCA), one variable output level)

Submitted by gflip88 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Superior product.
The actual MSRP is $6000 now, but I got a trade in deal for half that.
Features and performance: outstanding. The remote is excellent, the setup and operation intuitive and easy. You rarely need to consult the manual. The sound isn't as magical as my old Proceed AVP, but it's actually a cleaner sound and very natural. I have found a few blips in performance with high-frequency sweeps, but they don't detract from normal sources. Overal I'd rate the sound an 'A'. You can do a lot of tweaking with this unit -- much more than other brands, and almost enough to satisfy me. I have a very complex system, and this unit allows me to implement the system with the least complexity possible.
All those compliments aside, I do have some gripes. The biggest one is that the unit won't put a status display over component outputs, although it will do setup menus on component outputs. But this means you can't get visual feedback on volume changes, a major headache. This was a major disappointment. THe other complaint is that you don't have enough control over what happens to low bass on channels that are crossed-over. If all your channels are crossed-over (not full-range), then the low bass from them goes to the subwoofer, as expected and desired. But if ANY of your speakers are marked as full-range, then the low bass from other channels go to the full-range speakers -- NOT the subwoofer. I would prefer to choose. This is a common complaint from preamps, but that doesn't make it OK. Along those lines, the setup advice from the manual has a problem: it tells you to set your subwoofer to be crossed over at the same point as the lowest setting for your other speakers -- big mistake. Always set your subwoofer to 'full-range' with this unit.
I also have a performance gripe: on digital sources that have abrupt breaks in the signal (such as my HD-TIVO when you change channels), it sometimes puts out some loud clicks and chirps that are at the least distracting and sometimes painful (at high volume).
Features missing: HDMI and DVI support.
Also, no HDCD support.
Conclusion: this is the best a/v preamp in its price range, but it isn't perfect. The only unit with more flexibility on the market is the MC-12.

Submitted by kevin5brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
Not much to tell. Very few faults, but excellent sound. I have owned other pre/pros, and they were buggy, had quirks, and were incomplete. Not this guy. Plus, I am fanatical about remotes, and the MC-8 has a very good one. Analog bypass for SACD/DVD-A is pristine. I got the MC-8 for Logic 7 over 5.1 sources, and it puts out an extremely convincing soundfield for soundtracks. Lexicon is known for their hardware/software upgradeability, and I fully expect to get DPL IIx in a short while. I.Link would be nice too. But until then, I'm an extremely happy camper. I hesitate to say that this is the "perfect" pre/pro, but for what it has, it is executed extremely well.

Purchased At:   US auth dealer