Lexicon MC-12 Balanced A/V Preamplifier

Both MC-12 processors feature the latest surround decoding formats including:

- Logic 7®
- Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Pro Logic
- dts® and dts-ES (discrete & matrix)
- THX Surround EX™

Submitted by whatugot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Probably the best pre-amp/ HT processor made (price/performance). I use it with Maggies 3.6r and the new MGcc2 center, Rel Stadium 3 woofer, Theta Dreadnaught 7 channel. Sound is awesome and love the features.
Check my web page: exoticaudio.org page 30
NOTE: ({FIRST OFF- BASE is not BASE. IT IS BASS. For people who can spell, I for one am terrible, but come on bass?}}

Purchased At:   Friends Shop

Submitted by syerelek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I’ve had this unit about three months now, It took me just about a two weeks before I was able to fully understand and use it. I don’t mean this in a bad way because the amount of futures and different modes and some may work better than other, but overall the set up menu is very simple. One of the best futures I was able plug in all my component to any set of inputs and then assign it to that cretin component from the menu.
I am using this units D/A converter for my CD and DVD and DSS, that made a huge improvement on my system. Also it’s capable of converting analog sources to digital, I can listen to my vinyl either analog direct, or it’s capable of processing them to digital source it helps specially when I need to record to 44.1 cds. It has the 6 channel inputs for the DVD audio and component switching for HDTV.
There are two things I did not like,
One: I have full size speaker all the way around so I don’t need to roll of the base, but as a default it’s internal crossover is set at 80hz. This forces for the subwoofer to be active and rest of the speakers to cut off the base. I prefer to listen to my music in stereo mode from the left and right speaker in full range not with the subwoofer. You can always change the crossover settings from the menu to none that way it’ll feed full range signal to all the desired channels then the subwoofer stops and I mean it stops for good. Even with pro logic encoded movies the subwoofer signal will not come back on This I found is common on some less sophisticated preamps but a preamp as advanced as lexicon should be able to handle this simple task. Second: I realized a little glitch whenever it’s on Dolby digital encoded movie and I switch the source to pro logic encoded or even to TV it only plays from the front right and left speakers instead of the center . I contacted Lexicon for the two little problems and they suggested to wait for the new software upgrade which still not out, I also like to mentioned customer support was very nice and efficient, I was able to get technician on the line right away
I think the closest A/V preamp to Lexicon mc-12 is more than twice the price and hardly any sound improvement, and the glitches I discovered should get resolved when the upgraded software is out. Based on my experience I have to rate it A+

Purchased At:   SOUND FACTOR ENCINO

Submitted by Joey C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
First, I would like to say that I have demoed just about all of the high end processors out there, with the exception of the Mark Levinson 40 I didn't consider it because of its $30,000 price tag. I did however compare to Krell, Lexicon mc1
Proceed avp, Sunfire Grand Theatre2, and the Classe. While all of these processors are great, they were not even close in my opinion to the overall sensation that you are in the movie. LOgic 7 mode is unbelievabe, your theatre room literally becomes whatever enviorment you are watching.I have been building and building
my system over the past year, but didn't realize what I was trying to accomplice until I purchased the Lexicon mc12.
Vocals are crystal clear, if there is a dog barking 50 yards behind you it sounds like 50 yards . I am using Cardas neutral reference balanced interconnects. Why distort the signal at all it's perfect. these cables do not seem to add any color in any stage that is presented. I honestly do not see how the Levinson 40 could be any better at home theatre. Actually I had a Madrigal (Levinson) rep tell me that Lexicon has licenced Levinson to use its LOgic 7 processors. It would not let the new Proceed avp have the rights. Both companies are owned by Harman International. In 2 channel music it is incredible, better than Proceed, Classe ,Krell, in my opinion. Every friend I have let see a movie with it says it is the most incredible movie experience ever!!
Even better than theatre.
My system consists of:
Lexicon MC12
Faroujda dvd player(also best picture and sound I have found yet)
Monster m2 speaker cables
audio research diamond aes balanced digital
Cardas neutral reference interconnects
Vidikron 86 in tensioned electric screen
Plus 1024 by 768 projector
dvdo line doubler
McIntosh speaker system
Demoing different amps Using Sufire sig. 5 channel 405 watts per channel for center sides and back.
Mcintosh 400 watts per side for Towers.
Sorry for any misspelled words.

Submitted by andrea buccilli a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
attention at sorgent dvd and cable

onkyo rdc7 idem