Lexicon DC-2 A/V Preamplifier

4.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $3995.00

DPL THX + AC-3 + DTS

Submitted by HARRIER1976 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I just bought this Lexicon dc 2 to replace my Yamaha c60.
Very musical and smooth. I don't know what to say but this piece of machine really BLOW ME AWAY with the sound. I currently only use it for 2 channel stereo listening.

Great piece from Lexicon. Grab it if comes by. You won't regret!!

Submitted by djxtasy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that this is my first high end piece of equipment purchased for my HT set up, and I am glad it is. After reading the many "audiophile" reviews from this and other sites, I decided to take my chance and purchase this piece of equipment. Although not purchased new, thus the low paying cost, mine is in MINT condition with all original accesories and box. I was lucky to find an honest ebay seller who previously used this Lexicon DC-2 as a demo unit. Anyway let's go to more important issues, this unit is one of the best sounding piece of investment I made. You will definitely hear all the sound effects that the director intended on "us" audience to listen. The processed sounds generated from this unit, is incredibly amazing, and it brings the listening experience of movie watching to life. I was amazed at all the sounds I missed out on before hooking up this equipment. I am literally watching movies all over again, just to listen to the sounds. The patented lexicon logic 7 is one my favorite listening mode other than DTS. Now that you can get these units previously used at fractions of the msrp retail price, I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU GET ONE! Hell, buying this unit used was the only way I could afford such luxury on my limited budget. This unit DEFINITELY meets the wife acceptance factor. My wife initially couldn't understand why I paid so much on a piece of equipment, but after listening to the sound this unit puts out, she IMMEDIATELY became very impressed! She too is RE-WATCHING movies just to listen to all the detailed sounds and effects that was previously unheard or missed. If you truly want to enjoy your movie listening experience, you should treat yourself and buy this unit. You will not regret making such move.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
First,let me say that this is is an incredible piece of equipment! And that after six months of use,I know I made the right decision. But I want to be honest and let you know about some of the things that I feel to be shortcomings also.
Since this preamp is designed almost exclusively for video use as opposed to an audiophile,music only preamp I want to review it as such.
The biggest fault is that there is no way to,easily,adjust the relative output levels (center,surround,sub) for different movies. What you do have direct access to is balance,fader(a car stereo term which means front to rear),bass and treble. After using an Adcom preamp for years that does have dedicated controls on the remote for sub,center and rear levels it is hard to live without them.
A feature that the Lexicon does have that I think is fantastic is a mode called "mono-logic". This gives full surround sound from a mono source and it works great! There are many older movies on DVD that while "Dolby Digital" are still in mono. Terminator for example as well as all the B&W classics which are still better on DVD. The problem is that this mode is only accessible through the analog (RCA) inputs. So you must have both the analog and digital outputs of your DVD player connected to the preamp. And then when you decide to watch a mono DVD,you must go into the preamps setup menu and change the DVD input source to analog and then back to a digital input when the movie is over.
The last thing that I want to mention is that playing movies that have either a surround or a non-surround audio track,the preamp performs flawlessly. However,when watching broadcast TV,newscasts primarily, that I believe are primarily stereo as opposed to surround,the preamp will occasionally "spit" a little sound to the surround speakers. I believe that the preamp "thinks" that it has stumbled upon some surround information which it then sends to the back. The Adcom never had this problem. If there was no surround information,the rears just stayed silent.
In summary,I just want to say again that this is an awesome preamp with a wealth of indispensible features:digital time alignment,cross-overs,display black out,lighted remote,future-proof eight channel upgradeability, and the best surround effects I've experienced.
It's just that too many of the reviews that I read on this site seem like they are written by people that just want to let you know how proud they are of the deal that they got. while I for one,as a reader,want to know about the product itself. Just the facts,ma'am.

Submitted by Ted a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
The DC-2 is an oustanding product for the price. While not the cheapest at $4K (list), the unit strikes a good compromise between the music/HT realms. Prior to purchasing the DC-2, I used a Melos SHA-Gold reference preamp for music and an Adcom GFP-750 for HT. The Lexicon blows away the 750 for HT, the Logic 7 mode sounds great on almost any material. For music the DC-2 is a just a little bit harsher and less revealing than Melos. The Melos has tubes that create a warm, lifelike sound with a magical soundstage. While the DC-2 can't reproduce music as good, it still sounds very quick and accurate. DC-2's don't have analog bypasses due to the digital nature of the unit. Everything is converted into digital. I thought this would be a weakness but I have been very surprised how good this digital preamp sounds. I still think a bypass would be a nice touch for those who have good outboard digital equipment for music listening. Overall a strong performer that offers high value for the buck.

Equipment used:
Totem Model 1
Totem Model 1 Signature Center
Totem Mites (Side)
Definitive Tech Dipoles (Rear)
Older Toshiba DVD
Maccormack DNA-1
Anthem MCA-5

Purchased At:   Custom Home Theatre

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
The change to the DC-2 was more than I could expect. The Logic 7 mode is fantastic even without the rear speakers. I have only the side dipoles and cant wait till I get my rear directs.
The swithching from input to input is very smooth and there is not a sound that will cause any worry.
Build quality is first class as you can expect from Lex.Set up is a breeze and very specific. Once you are set there is no turning back. It's just days and years of GOOD stuff.
Personaly I feel the Logic 7 sounds better than the Surround EX. That's the way to go Lex.
Any of you guys thinking about the DC-2, just do it you'll never repent.
I use Rotel 991 and 993 amps and have ordered a 981 for the extra rear. My speakers are B&W 605 s2, LCR6 s2, DS6 and the new surround is gonna be my old Boston Acoustics Micro 90.
Pioneer 919 player and a Servo 15 Paradigm + Velodyne Hgs 12 subwoofer.
Cant wait till I get the extra rears.
Happy Listening GUYS