Lexicon DC-1 A/V Preamplifier

4.55/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $1459.00

Submitted by circuithead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
This has DD, DTS, and most importantly Logic 7.
The guy who wrote the algorithm for Logic 7 is one of the great minds of audio. Basically it can convert a 2 channel sound to 5 back to 2 then to 7 or a 5 channel signal down to 5 back to 7. The advantage of Logic 7 over DD 7.1 is that the rear channles are discreet in Logic same and not so in DD 7.1 which is the same algorithm as DD 6.1 - only instead of 1 large speaker in the rear center you use two small to the L/R of center.

Party is good for crappy signals - it will send it out to all sepakers evenly. People have complained about bass mangt for this product - but that's really not an issue from what I can see...

If you go separates then you need DD and you probably want something that can put out to 7 channels. This offers 7 discreet channels - the only sound processing program to do so. They're cheap at this point. You must get version 4.0.

Look, a processor processes the signal coming in - if it has DD, and DTS then you have what is out there. Logic 7, build quality and current price is why you'd buy this.
No balanced outs is why you wouldn't.

Easy to operate.
Ilove this product.

Submitted by stevenakamichi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have resisted surround sound forever becuase a believe a proper stereo presentation aleady has (or should have)have width, depth, hieght and a clear center image.

So, with some trepidation, I made may foray into multichannel sound. It's my belief that the pre-amp/ processor stage in any system is one of the keys to great sound. I heard just horrendous sound from those all-in-one receivers that offer everything and give the listener nothing.

I bought on Lex Dc-1 2.1 DD/THX/logic7, and loved it. Becuase I liked it so much, I bought another one--with the 4.0 software DD/dts/THX EX/logic7.

I've experimented a lot because I'm anal like that. A few things became clear:
--Speaker placement is critical
--Speakers should be the same (with the same drivers or same type of speakers from the same manufacturer)
--Ceneter channel can cause big sonic problems. Although they're great for nailing movie dialogue, they tend to mess up the soundstaging of the mains. Along the lines of my stereo philosophy, i tend to think the mains should be left alone for music.
--Subwoofer--I've tried them, and don't like them. although many proclaim subd to be omnidirectional, I can clearly localize <100Hz sub-bass. Let me give you an example: say a producer wants a double bass drum sharply panned, L&R. If I'm in a soundfield like my 3-channel ultra-high-end car audio. I can hear this effect. Subwoofer proceesing is tricky--setting up the right low-pass frequency filter, slope, level, time-alignment, parametric EQ (Ok, go easy on this one)--so that the bass is centered in front of the soundfield and integrated with the mains.

Well, in home, the subs never works out that great. And if you have bass-proficient speakers like my vandersteen 3A's, you DON"T need a sub anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by clockwork a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
For something so old, the DC1 never ceases to amaze me. It can still blow any modern receiver when it comes to surround processing. I have the DD, DTS THX v4.0 software. In movies engaged with logic 7 over dts or prologic, the surround sound is just lifelike, compared to my previous yamaha 2095, its just no contest. The sound is in a different league altogether.

Admittedly, the 2 channel stereo playback isnt that good, but it doesnt suck either. The sound produce is uncolored, very transparent which some purist audiophiles dont like because of their bias to tube sound. But if you want the cleanest and the most transparent, uncolored sound available, the DC1 doesnt disappoint. But that isnt what DC1 is all about. You buy a surround processor to use as a surround processor and not as a two channel preamp. In stereo sources like CDs and audio files played with Music Logic, this is where lexicon is second to none. If you havent audition a lexicon's music logic yet, do yourself a favor and audition one. I am pretty sure, one will never go back to stereo listening again. Logic 7 is that good. No comparison even the too much hyped Meridian Trifield which I also happen to have in my system (561). The meridian 561 is good for two channel listening but its a close second in surround 7 channel processing.

To get the most of the lexicon DC1 Logic 7, 7 channels plus subwoofer is recommended although 5.1 can also be used but not as envoloping as 7.1

People don't get it when they buy a surround processor that it should be used as one. It just so funny sometimes when I read or see a self-proclaimed audiophile that what they look in a surround processing is very good 2 channel playback and so-so off the shelf surround processing by other high end processors (EAD, Theta, Proceed, Tag). None of these brands have the expertise of Lexicon when it comes to surround processing where their pro-audio gear is used in recording studios around the world.

The surround processing in the DC1 is revolutionary at its time and it still leave first time logic 7 users amazed at its sound reproduction even at this time. Of course, they have all the fancy room correction, analog by-pass but not have the signature sound of Logic 7. At this time, only newer lexicons have the DC1 beat in Logic 7. But if your needs are modest and instead of buying a receiver, do yourself a favor and get a used lexicon for cheap. I will bet that for surround sound processing esp. in Logic 7, nothing comes close except the newer lexicons.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Blake a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've used this for more than a year now and how amazed that I a'm. I was not expecting this kind of sound from a product so old.This a 1997 model that cost 4995.00 new. It only has DD and DTS at 7.1 channels and I'm using it at 5.1 surround which is good enough for me. It has 20 bit dacs instead of 24 bit that they use on today models, But it has eight of them at Burr Brown high quallity. These dacs are far better than most 24 dacs they use on the average receiver today, also this unit sounds great with music and I mean great. You can compare this to 1000-1500 two channel pre-amp seperates. I have Yamaha, Denon, And Marantz receivers and two of them are in the garage. I use the yamaha in my bedroom. all three have AC3 and DTS, But they just can't compare to Lexicon, and two of them are less than two years old the Yamaha and the Denon. If I had the cash I would buy the new Lexicon MC-12 at 8900.00. If your in the market to buy a new a/v unit you owe it to yourself to look at high end used products, they are so much better than this new stuff ranging from 300-1500 easy. I use this unit with a Rotel RMB 1075 at 120 WPC with Van Den Hul & Tara Labs interconnects. Remember this your system is only as good as its weakiest link, spend at least 10% of what you spent on your system on interconnects and speaker wire.

Purchased At:   Triad

Submitted by Gordon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Oh, so THAT'S what it's supposed to sound like! That was my initial and now lasting impression of this wonderful unit.

Now, granted, there was a lot of room for improvement from using my SR-7000 as the pre/pro. But I wasn't prepared for the full measure of the upgrade.

For movies (75% of use), small details I've never heard before are effortlessly revealed, and sound for powerful scenes arrives quickly and emphatically. I have it paired with an Oulaw Audio 750 5-channel amp and this makes for a great pairing. (Considering move to Sherborn 5-channel amp, though. I can never leave well enough alone.) Bass is far tighter, but this can also be attributed to my new Hsu Research VTF-2.

For music, the exaggerated warmth of the Marantz (which I generally prefer to cold presentations) is gone, and reproduced with what I assume to be the music's original intent. Like in movies, the Lexicon reveals small details in music that I didn't know were there. (Some of this could be attributed to my Bohlender Grabener speakers with super-fast planar tweeter and aluminum cone woofers. GREAT speakers, available for a steal on Ubid these days.)

As you can tell by now, I'm thrilled with this purchase. My unit came with everything but DTS, which I've never been all that impressed with. Also had the upgraded software and remote (both courtesy of 4.0 upgrade.) I dealt with a terrific guy called Steve Herrala of www.soundvideo.com, and got this for peanuts.

I was waiting for an Outlaw Audio 950 preamp, but when this baby showed up on Audiogon, the wait was over! If your budget is around $1500-$2000, you simply HAVE TO consider a used DC-1 or DC-2, many made avialable by Lexicon's trade-in program.

To use a much-travelled phrase, the Lexicon DC-1 is all good.

My equipment:
Toshiba TW5781 HDTV
Lexicon DC-1 4.0
Outlaw Audio 750 5-channel amp
Bohlender Grabener X-series cnter channel and towers
Phase Technology Teatro Surrounds
DirecTivo Satellite
Toshiba 5700 DVD
DVDO iScan V2 (very helpful in making TV broadcasts watchable)
DH Labs T-14 speakers cables
Bettercables Silver Serpent RGB, Component, and S-Video cables
Bell D'Ogetti stand
Intermediate ears (but constantly upgrading)

Purchased At:   Audiogon