Krell Home Theater Standard A/V Preamplifier

4.45/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $6000.00

home theater preamp/processor

Submitted by audiom3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2017

Bottom Line:
I decided to take a huge step "backwards" in technology. I mean, I run ALL video sources directly into my plasma TV, so why do I need a video switcher degrading the signal? And they ALL degrade the signal. I don't use room correction or EQs either. And I run my analog sources (namely my turntable) through the analog stage completely avoiding any processing. My Marantz AV7005 had tons of features including HDMI switching an ARC HDMI input and lots of streaming options, Audyssey Room EQ, etc. The only thing I used was the ARC from streaming Amazon Prime Video from my TV to the preamp. All the other features were a waste. So I started studying about 6 months ago. I should say I'm a happy owner of two Krell power amplifiers. A KAV250a and KAV250a/3. So Krell seemed like the logical choice. What I love most about the 7.1 is the ability of a 5.1 analog input (unbalanced). And a 2ch balanced input. This covers blu-rays, SACDs, DVD-As and the balanced from my Oppo is a high quality DAC into the Krell. And all the reviews I've read about the analog stage in this HTS have been true. It is remarkable indeed! It's the single largest upgrade purchase I have ever made. The biggest noted difference was in movies. The dynamic range, clarity, realism and most importantly, the panning/imaging. I know it's an old cliche, but I truly hear things I've NEVER heard before in my Blu-Ray movies. And the panning is amazing. True surround sound like I've never witnessed before. Anywhere! SACDs have been taken up a few notches. From the timbres to the imaging. Snares (I used to play the drums for many years) have an amazing realism. It's easy to hear the crack, resonance of the shell and the decay of the drum heads. Love it! Love it! Love it!
And for my favorite past time. Vinyl playback. Ahhh, there is an added clarity on top of everything but it's never bright or shrill sounding. Just more revealing. You've probably read the reviews that this preamp is neutral and that is in fact accurate. The bass is much lower than it was through my Marantz. As in, it felt like I upgraded my speakers. And solid speakers they are - Legacy Audio FOCUS. Those (6) 12" drivers are finally really reaching down into the 20Hz zone and with tight punch! The midrange is silky smooth and you can follow the bass guitar notes very distinctly. The air around the vocals is superb. They carry and carry off to the sides like they're singing in a huge auditorium. Again, I've heard these LPs dozens of times but never have I heard how much air was in these recordings before. So any flaws that this unit has - like setup, features, etc, are far outweighed by it's musical prowess. A fantastic steal on the used market!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Bob Leonard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2016

Bottom Line:
When I review a piece of audio equipment the purpose is to find out how well it sounds, and ease of operation. I have owned many Surround processors over the past 15 years. I will list a few notable ones. Aragon Stage One, and the Aragon Sound stage. Integra Research RDC-7 and the RDC-7.1. The Sunfire Theater Grand I and III. The Bryston Sp-1. The Lexicon MC-4, Lexicon MC-8, and Lexicon MC-12. And the Krell Show case. My current Surround processor is the Krell HTS-7.1. Let me just say it is somewhat clunky in the user interface. Global crossover settings for all speakers, unable to set different crossover setting for different speakers. Very small front panel display, remote volume control commands extremely fast. However, this beautiful sounding processor makes up for the clunky interface. Now let me try to describe the sound. Detailed, transparent, and robust. When playing it loud it maintains its composure effortlessly extracting detail, and subtitles from very complex music without congestion. It's a very clean, and clear sounding Processor. The bass is tight, and detailed, the midrange is smooth, and articulate while the treble is extended, but clean and never bright. “BRIGHT NEVER.” No listening fatigue ever no matter how loud the volume is set. The soundstage width, and depth are very good, 3-dimensional good focus. In addition to being best imaging Pre/Pro’s I have heard. This is by far the best Surround Sound Processor I have owned.

Submitted by Stanley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why people talked bad about this surround sound preamp. this was the first time I used Krell products. I bought the DVD Standard used before I bought this preamp. I fell in love with the sound quality of the DVD Stand and then bought this surround sound preamp. They are perfect match. I love how Krell sounds, very detailed and transparent, big sound stage, clear and tight bass but not muddy. I am a long term tube fan and I always think that tube products sounds better. Right after I owned and listened to the two kell's I will change the perspective of enjoying HI-FI.

Submitted by danny Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
-OK the avs krell was krells first avs.They cannot repair them.They say they have no more parts for it.Its a shame I only know one person that can repair it.shipping alone was 200 there and back.I had it playing for over 2 yrs. was a great item.
Know while I'm here ,The fpb-600 is scary Load and sucks the electric out of the wall .I had a 30 amp fuse for it. My dumb ass electrician put in a 20Amp. blew it on the first day.He came back . I want to hear a concert sound live.This is the amp you want.For the todays price its a steal and simple to repair caps.Buy this amp you wont be unhappy when this was new it was 12500.00.anything under 5000 grab

Submitted by Harris Wood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought a Krell HTS based on the company's reputation for great sounding and nearly indestructible gear. It is both of these things, but a joy to own it is not.

The on-screen display function is actually a "non-function." It is finicky and so non-"user freindly" that you could aptly call it "user-hostile." The manual is even worse- it doesn't even tell you how to use the "non-function," but instead references some pamphlet/accompanying materials which the manual refers to as a "Read Me First" flyer. Too bad I'm not rich because if I were the HTS would be a "flyer" to- right out my freakin' window.

Perhaps even worse is the 2 second long silence when a CD starts up. Purportedly it takes the Krell a little while to "lock on" to the signal (bla bla bla). Funny- the cheap Korean-built DVD player/home theater combo I bough for my Mother's 19" TV has no problem "locking on" to the signal from the get-go. Must be because it cost $400.00 instead of $5,000.00. Superio "American engineering" my keester.

Luckily Krell's tech support folks over in Connecticut are very helpful. If you like having somehting work right out of the box, and having a manual that is accurate, complete, and easy to use, you might look to another manufacturer.

Purchased At:   Houston