Krell Home Theater Standard A/V Preamplifier

4.42/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $6000.00

home theater preamp/processor

Submitted by Stanley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why people talked bad about this surround sound preamp. this was the first time I used Krell products. I bought the DVD Standard used before I bought this preamp. I fell in love with the sound quality of the DVD Stand and then bought this surround sound preamp. They are perfect match. I love how Krell sounds, very detailed and transparent, big sound stage, clear and tight bass but not muddy. I am a long term tube fan and I always think that tube products sounds better. Right after I owned and listened to the two kell's I will change the perspective of enjoying HI-FI.

Submitted by danny Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
-OK the avs krell was krells first avs.They cannot repair them.They say they have no more parts for it.Its a shame I only know one person that can repair it.shipping alone was 200 there and back.I had it playing for over 2 yrs. was a great item.
Know while I'm here ,The fpb-600 is scary Load and sucks the electric out of the wall .I had a 30 amp fuse for it. My dumb ass electrician put in a 20Amp. blew it on the first day.He came back . I want to hear a concert sound live.This is the amp you want.For the todays price its a steal and simple to repair caps.Buy this amp you wont be unhappy when this was new it was 12500.00.anything under 5000 grab

Submitted by Harris Wood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought a Krell HTS based on the company's reputation for great sounding and nearly indestructible gear. It is both of these things, but a joy to own it is not.

The on-screen display function is actually a "non-function." It is finicky and so non-"user freindly" that you could aptly call it "user-hostile." The manual is even worse- it doesn't even tell you how to use the "non-function," but instead references some pamphlet/accompanying materials which the manual refers to as a "Read Me First" flyer. Too bad I'm not rich because if I were the HTS would be a "flyer" to- right out my freakin' window.

Perhaps even worse is the 2 second long silence when a CD starts up. Purportedly it takes the Krell a little while to "lock on" to the signal (bla bla bla). Funny- the cheap Korean-built DVD player/home theater combo I bough for my Mother's 19" TV has no problem "locking on" to the signal from the get-go. Must be because it cost $400.00 instead of $5,000.00. Superio "American engineering" my keester.

Luckily Krell's tech support folks over in Connecticut are very helpful. If you like having somehting work right out of the box, and having a manual that is accurate, complete, and easy to use, you might look to another manufacturer.

Purchased At:   Houston

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Exceptional unit in everyway. Nothing even comes close for the money. Hts2 upgrade is the best sounding unit on the market! Go listen if you do not believe me. Pre-amp section is incredible! The processing is just as great!Must get the HTS2 or upgrade for zone2 control and better dacs plus 7.1channel input.

Purchased At:   harvey

Submitted by dts a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have previously review the HTS ver. 1 back in 2000 and I recently took advantage of Krells generousity by trading in my old unit for $4000 and purschasing the HTS 7.1 + 4000. I thought things could not get much better than I already had it but boy was I wrong. The first and most notably difference is the bass control. The 7.1 allows to adjust the crossover, in the old unit is was locked to 80. This reallt made a big improvement because I dropped the crossover down to 60 and that made my Velo a non factor in Two channel listening. The second thing and I believe the most significant is that it has a "PREAMP" mode which allows your analog signal to go directly through the processor without being converted into a digital signal only to be sent back as an analog signal. This kind of smoothed out the Krell's upfront and in your face approach which I still don't mind but it's nice to have more options for your listening pleasures. The third major difference was the depth, soundstage and bass. As stated above, I thought I had this but the 7.1 really, really enhanced the music that was coming out of my Martin Logan Odyssey's. Home Theater is superb! No need to go any further than that regarding the 7.1's performance. The old unit had a 2lb. remote made out of steel. The unit's remote is waffer style and no back light. I already had everything programmed into my Pronto from the old unit so nothing had to be changed. Overall, for those who have the older version of this unit I would recommend plunking down the 4K to get the best processor on the market.

Purchased At:   KRELL