Fosgate Audionics FAP-V1 A/V Preamplifier

Unique in that it is the only vacuum tube driven surround sound processor in the world, utilizing Dolby Pro Logic II, created by the legendary Jim Fosgate.
  • Accepts any 2-channel stereo source and outputs 5.1 surround sound
  • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
  • Multiple inputs
  • Outputs (LF, CF, RF, LR, RR, Sub) Side Outputs (LS, RS)
  • 7.1 Loop-Thru

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by onionring a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I have owned my FAP-V1 for over five years and have been absolutely delighted by it's sound quality! A smooth, holographic, full-bodied sound that is simply a joy to listen to, be it in it's Pro Logic II processor mode or simply as a straight two channel preamp. It uses nine 6N1P tubes and a 5AR4 rectifer. There is no schematic available due to the unit's proprietary design, so I'm not sure how the 6N1Ps are used in the circuit. The outstanding build quality on this unit is in a class by itself, and reflects it's cost no object design—I'm just glad I got mine second hand. I'm very much into surround sound, and the all-analog Pro Logic II processing blows away any and all digital Pro Logic II processors, no matter how well made they are. It's simply the circuit that is being used. I've retired my Sansui QSD-1 quad synthesizer since getting the FAP-V1, that's how good it is. Jim Fosgate really outdid himself creating this unit. This is a keeper for life!

60.0 WA BLACK: