The Emotiva LMC-1 delivers an engaging, natural sound stage whether set up for home theater or two channel music. The LMC-1 features 8-channel analog inputs for SACD and DVD-A sources, 7.1 RCA outputs to your favorite amplifier (such as the Emotiva LPA-1), Dolby Pro Logic IIx for turning your 2-channel sources into 5.1/6.1/7.1 as well as all the other formats such as Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6 decoding.
The LMC-1 also features video up conversion. This allows you to run all your composite, S--video and component sources to the LMC-1 and output all on a single component video cable. The LMC-1 has three 100Mhz component inputs and the OSD (on-screen display) is available over component too.
• Crystal Semiconductor based 7.1 Channel Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II/IIx, DTS, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
• Audiophile grade 24-bit/192kHz CODEC
• OSD (On Screen Display) for easy set up and calibration. Logical and easy to use. OSD is available on Component, S-Video and composite outputs
• Automatic up-conversion of S-video and composite video sources to 480i component video
• 0.5dB resolution on the Master Volume and on all Level Trims
• Second zone audio capability; can play audio sources independent of the main zone
• Independent Delay Time Adjustment for the Center, Rear Surrounds and Side Surrounds
• Full-time digital down-mix for analog two-channel tape recording and second zone audio output from multi-channel digital sources
• Full function custom IR remote control
• Second zone IR remote capability
• Internal 2 x 25 watt second zone power amplifier. Tracks the selected second zone audio source.
• Optional second zone wall mount remote control panel with display of level and source select (requires 2 gang electrical box opening)
• FM/AM tuner with 40 presets
• HDMI - External automatic 2x1 switcher included
Maintains 480i, 480p, 720p, 720i, 1080i and 1080p resolutions. High quality silver contact relays provide a high bandwidth, passive signal path. Supports cable runs of up to 50 feet
• Three sets of HDTV compatible wide-bandwidth component video inputs with buffered outputs
• Five sets of audio/video inputs, each with audio, S-video, and composite video
• Two pair audio-only inputs
• Eight channel analog audio input using RCA connectors for DVD-A, SACD, or other external multi-channel source
• Digital audio (S/PDIF) inputs for four sources: three coax or optical and one coax only
• RCA line level outputs for all channels
• DSP based tone controls
• User selectable crossover frequency for all speakers when set to small
I bought a used, but still under transferable warranty, LMC-1 that had been repaired and serviced by Emotiva for the original owner/seller. According to him the unit had had some bad boards and firmware problems. Initially, it worked fine and sounded good enough: on the bright side of neutral (but not offensively so), decently wide sound stage, adequate dynamics and detail. I used it for two-channel stereo and HT with a NAD 216 and Adcom 545 amps, Monitor Audio Silver 2 speakers, and an H-K DVD player. I thought the chassis, knobs, and remote ahd a cheap build quality, but the real problems were internal. Within 5-6 months, it started getting buggy, freezing and switching inputs randomly and unresponsive to the remote. At 6-7 months it started to have intermittent trouble starting up at all. By month 7 it no longer started up at all. Researching on the web, I found multiple reports of this pattern of malfunction and that it is due to a bad circuit board (which one i no longer recall). I called Emotiva as it was still within the warranty period and the warranty was supposedly transferable. Despite having the serial number, the name of the original buyer, and verifying the unit was still within warranty, the service department refused to honor the warranty unless I could tell them the exact date and location of purchase. This I could not do, no longer being able to contact the original owner. So, I have a large paperweight, and Emotiva has someone who will never buy one of their products again. Further research on line reveals that people appear quite happy with their power amps, but that their pre-pro models suffer from serious reliability problems. I would not recommend taking a chance on an LMC, or other Emotiva processor.
Bought this with the LPA-1 amplifier. It replaces an old Onkyo recv'r and for the money ($749 for the combo) it is a no-brainer. Sound quality, build and service are A-1. For the price of a midline HT recv'r, I now own separates, so I have power and flexibility. Sound is way better than the Onkyo. Even comes with an external HDMI switcher(x2).
Only 2 knobs on the front-volume and elector. Very easy to set-up. All the latest audio codex (except HD-Dolby and DTS Master), and when the LMC-2 comes out in a few months, I can purchase it for 40% off the retail price...and keep my LMC-1! It also has a built in 25w X2 Zone 2 mode for powering a remote set of speakers. All in all, I could not be happier with this product. Check out the reviews on their wedsite from Audioholics...that is wahat ultimately sold me on this product.