EAD TheatreMaster Signature A/V Preamplifier

Hi-end Digital Surround Processor

Submitted by bkwong73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
Back in 2000, I decided to consolidate my 2channel system and my HomeTheater System into one. And the goal was to find an outstanding Preamp/processor that can be both beautiful with music, and floor me with movies. And with the EAD Theatermaster Signature I was able to accomplish that goal. The 2channel music was 3-Dimensional with a deep and wide soundstage. The sound was smooth and easy to listen to. But I found the best cable matching to be with the Cardas Golden Reference for the interconnects. The silver diamond cut exterior really lends the cosmetics to match it's overall musical and movie presentation. If you are looking for a good combo duty preamp/processor look no further.

Purchased At:   EAD Designer

Submitted by Ed Momkus a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is for a Signature 8. My system use is 90% 2-channel audio. This is the first time I have gotten true "high-end" 2-channel sound from an AV preamp. I previously used separate audio and video components. The Signature 8 is incredibly musical with a wide and deep soundstage and lots of "air". very good bass reponse and slam. I previously used the analog output of a Proceed CDP into an Adcom GFP 750 preamp (Stereophile class A)for audio. The Proceed CDP is now only used as a transport into the Signature 8's digital inputs. I have even found that music through a Pioneer DV37 DVD player (used only as a transport)sounds superb. I have also tried the Signature 8's pass-through modes with DVD-A and SACD and it is totally faithfull in passing through the sound. Surround sound is excellent with very good dynamics. The remote is extremely flexible without being too complicated. Break-in takes about 30 hours. Comparable products for audio are much more expensive.

Components used:

B&W Nautilus 802 main speakers
Silver Audio Silver Symphony speaker cables
Mark Levinson 336 amplifier (mains)
Proceed HPA2 (rears)
EAD Theatermaster Signature 8
Transparent Premium digital coaxial cable
Proceed CDP (as transport only)
Pioneer DVP37 (as transport only)
Pioneer plasma video monitor
KEF Center and surround speakers

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Steve T. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
System
EAD Theater Master Signature Pre/Pro
EAD Power Master 1000
Cary D-3
Tyler Ref 1 Monitors all around.

The EAD Sigature was the last peice and made the system! The sound is just stunning. I am set for a long time. Or until DVD-A or SACD become more stable. Then the upgrade to 8 channel will be required.

Purchased At:   Sound Works

Submitted by Rob Mackenzie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best unit I have ever had by far! It does cost a little more but I do not have to purchase another for a while (I hope!). I recently purchased a Tice Power Block III HP series and have had no trouble with the voltage. I would recommend this unit to anyone.

Purchased At:   bought it used

Submitted by Tony Streetman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best sounding surround processor that I have ever owned. I would even put this out as a stereo processor, as the DACs in the unit are absolutely wonderful. This unit has the best separation and space that I have heard in any of my components. I have had the Krell HTS, the Lexicon MC-1 and the Parasound AVC-2500u in my system and the EAD is a better unit by far.... of course it costs more as well, but it IS well worth it. There are some minor problems with the system software, related to voltage irregularities. The problem is not as bad now that I have purchased a Tice Powerblock IIIc Signature and have connected my equipment to it.

Do yourself a favor and buy high-quality cables for your system when you get one of these processors. I am currently using the EAD Powermaster 2000 amplifier with the processor and it is GREAT as well.

My next purchase looks like an EAD Theatervision P.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS.